Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/24/2007

Enough To Be...

thankful for. If we had been blessed with nothing else, she would have been enough. She is so precious and her daddy,her mommy, her brother, and her sister are thankful for her. We are blessed that she is here.

Our holiday was sweet. It started out to be a tough, tough day. Emotional. It didn't take long for us to get a handle on the importance of where we are. Dave shared some beautiful thoughts from his heart and we concentrated on the good of our day and all of the blessings. We slept late, played scrabble, worked on our Christmas puzzle, visited with friends, enjoyed a yummy dinner prepared by some of our favorite people(we LOVED the dessert, Daisy. Thank you so much!), rocked our sweet baby, and chatted with Blake and Allison over the phone. Our day was blessed and we went to bed with full tummies and full hearts. God is good.


We spent the last couple of days just hanging out together. We have taken long drives and done some Christmas shopping. Our Christmas shopping experience has been a little different than most. The three of us load up in the car together. One of us goes into the store(usually me) and the other stays in the car playing with Ashley Kate. Our plans for the children's Christmas surprise have had to change. It was too large to pull off with me here and Dave there, so choosing alternatives for them has been fun. One thing I am getting pretty good at is accepting when our plans have to change. Our children are amazing and they truly deserve the surprise we had in store. When I asked them for Christmas lists they were so, so sweet. Blake only gave me a couple of ideas. Nothing spectacular just some things he said he would like but didn't really need. I have asked him repeatedly to try and come up with some other items and he says there is nothing else he needs. Allison Brooke's list began with the number one item she has been waiting on for over a year. A puppy. I don't know if you remember the series of journal entries last year that involved her NEED to love on something while Ash and I were away. She would have settled for a hamster. The one that loved her at the pet store? Remember? Then we researched and found a breed of dog that would be acceptable for Ashley Kate as well. Allie has shopped and shopped with her grandmas for this "imaginary" puppy that never showed up. Anyway, her first item was of course "Hope"( she named the imaginary dog Hope because she hoped she would get one), and her second item "could knock the first one of the list if she could have it." That statement got me curious. Item number two? Her mommy and Ashley to come home for Christmas. That one got me crying. I can't promise the second item, but her daddy has made sure the first will happen. Lucky him, he will be flying home bright and early Monday morning with the surprise of Allie's life time. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. Al doesn't know. If you would like to pray for Dave on Monday morning from around 4am till 11 am I am sure he would appreciate. He is sure to be the most hated passenger on the flight toting this fluffy ball of yapping "Hope". She sure is lucky to have this man for her dad.

Ashley Kate has had some good moments and some bad the past few days. She is breathing on her on while she is awake. She does require oxygen support while she sleeps. As long as she is doing this they will not agree to allowing her to go home even for a visit. We are hoping for this to resolve by Thursdays clinic appointment when I would like to ask for that pass to go home again. Dave and I would love to decorate the tree and the house for the kids if Ash is able to travel home for a few days. I would of course be returning, but even a few days at home would be a gift. her labs numbers a struggling. We are having to adjust her new immunosuppresant in an attempt to get it at the right level. This could take a while I am told. her liver enzymes are also a mess. No one know what is causing one of them to climb, but we are wondering if it has anything to do with her new med. It seems to have begun about the same time. Lots of changes and juggling going on inside of her right now. To be honest, all of the changes are done by phone. I don't even see anyone so I am hoping we will be granted our pass again and be allowed to make the changes at home for a few days next weekend. This is my short term Christmas wish.

Well , I just wanted to take a moment to visit and catch everyone up. Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been hanging out with Dave and being lazy. Thank you so much for all the blessings and cards and well wishes this holiday. Your words brighten my day. Hope you all enjoyed your holiday. Take care my friends. Trish

23 Comments:

At 7:20 PM , Blogger The Rutland Family said...

Very glad to hear that you have had a fun time. I know being at home would have been much better, but God will send you home in His time. Know that you all have been in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to be throughout the Christmas season. My 5 year old daughter wants to get an ornament for her Christmas tree that will remind her to pray for Ashley (she does every night). We saw a pickle at the store last week, we might go get that (it will definitely stand out because everything on her tree is pink!) Your family is special to mine (although we've never met) and we know that God has great things in store for you all!
Because He lives, we CAN face tomorrow!
Pam in GA

 
At 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you and Dave had a blessed time together. A dog? Oh my! My 8 year old must not hear about this. Not one word.
We are still praying for that little girl to go home - and you. Oh how you must long to be home.
Hugs and prayers are heading your way!

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Please don't apologize for lack of updates! It is so good to know that you and Dave just hung out together like couples should and share your hearts. Oh my gosh, Allie is going to be on cloud nine on Monday. How great is this, a puppy named Hope. It is perfect. And I think Blake is going to enjoy it too. I am praying for Ashley with all of the things mentioned, and especially for that pass home that you wish for. And praying for you too Trish, as you hang on to your hopes and the Lord.
You certainly deserve the mother of the year award from me. Have a wonderful lazy rest of the weekend with Dave and Ashley, you have earned it so much.

Love to you, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had just a little time to let us hear from you. Good to know that you and Dave have just enjoyed hanging out with each other.
I am sure that has been a huge blessing for you and for Ashley. Happy you had "full hearts".

It would sure be nice if we get a picture of Allie and Hope. Just meeting her new puppy for the first time is sure bring a big smile to her face.

We will certainly continue praying for all of Ashley's numbers to line up and that the new meds will be just what she needs and will not be a source of new problems. Praying for your peace, Trish, as Dave will be leaving Monday but also praying for Christmas at home with all 5 of you together.
Love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

ohhh I love "Pam in GA" idea of the pickle ornament to remember to pray for Ashley Kate!! I think we will do that as well!! What a sweet picture of a sweet little girl! We are all about bows at our house and the bigger the better! :-) We pray this will be a great week and you will be given that pass to go home! Continuing to pray in Tulsa!
Michelle and Family

 
At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks beautiful! I'm glad you had a great holiday! gOOD LUCK TO dAVE! :) pRAYING AS ALWAYS!

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Trish, how I wish you could see Allie's face when she meets Hope (you HAVE to make sure someone has a camera for that special moment!). Praying extra hard for you to get to go home, even if just for a little while. You ALL need that. It was great visiting with you this evening (it would have gone a LOT quicker had you just sent Dave, but this way was very nice!). "My" new friend is asleep on my lap...I'm guessing that's how it will be until I decide that I'm tired too :o) Thanks for blessing me with this "experience"! Good night. =)Amanda

 
At 9:54 PM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

I am glad that your Thanksgiving was good. I will be praying for Dave as he travels home. I can't wait to hear about Allie's reaction to her Hope! How fun! I will also be praying for Ashley to get better enough to be able to go home at least for a few days. I know you miss it terribly.

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Toni said...

Checking in on Ashley and family, and praying for you as always.
Blessings,
~Toni~

 
At 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you had a great time with Dave and Ashley! Praying For Ashley to adjust to the new med, get off oxygen and be able to get that pass to go home. Allie will be so excited! Will pray for Dave's trip home too.

 
At 10:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bless my heart with your gratitude. Thank you, Lou Ann

 
At 11:55 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Trish-

I am glad you took "time off" and just enjoyed being with Dave and Ashley. You deserve it! I know God has great things for your family and I can't wait to hear them in the future. The picture of Ashley is just beautiful. I love the pj's and the bow.

Still praying and loving from afar!

Shari

 
At 10:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you guys had a good holiday. . .Ash looks beautiful in that picture. Ali is going to be the happiest girl on the planet I think. . . I can't wait to hear her reaction. Praying Ash is able to get the breathing all under control and all the numbers looking good soon. ~Chan~

 
At 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankful for a peaceful holiday. Prayers for a Christmas miracle are still ongoing. Also, continued prayers for safe travel.
Glad you and Dave had some quiet time together.

Thanks for the updates. Once again, I was blessed by your heart. Your posts remind me to be thankful even when in the midst of my personal sadness.
Kristi in Texas

 
At 1:10 PM , Blogger Fiffer said...

Today at church our sermon was about "Is Jesus enough for you?" It was really good and made me think of you, and how you strive towards that goal in the way you live. You have so many trials and obstacles and yet continually point to the good and positive things Jesus has done in your life, which points straight to Him. Even on your dreariest of days, know that He shines through you! Can't imagine how hard this is for you, and yet every single time I read your words I am inspired.

On a side note, I love seeing the pictures you take. Besides the fact that you are a gifted photogapher, I'd love to know what kind of camera you use. My husband is getting me a new camera for Christmas and I'd love to look into one like yours. I love how you often use some pretty neat special effects. Or is that photo-editing software that does it? Either way, you capture beautiful pictures. If you don't want to write about it on your blog, could you please email me the info at Fiffer@comcast.net? Thanks -- sure would appreciate the info.

Know that as always, your whole family is in my prayers.

Love,
Martha

 
At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you do not know us...I have been reading your blog for awhile now and keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey with Ashley Kate. I felt compelled to write this time because your entry brought tears to my eyes. Only a mom can truly understand the needs of her daughters and do her best to meet the needs the both. The idea of "HOPE" is absolutely the coolest of all Christmas gifts. I know because my parents did something similiar for me one Christmas with a boston terrier we named Christmas Joy:) Way to go, MOM - I will bet you are coolest around in the morning. God bless, take care, and love the pickle a little extra for a family from Michigan who thinks that you are a little extra special as well.
The Banta's
Charlotte, Michigan

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish - I am so very glad to hear you have had such a great time with your husband and your baby. I am sure you had so very much to be Thankful for!

I will be praying that you are granted the pass. I truly believe that will help BOTH of you! There is nothing like being with family, in your own home, in your own bed. I will pray for you guys.

I can't wait to hear about Allie's response to her surprise! I also can't wait to see the pics of Hope. I remember the hamster and all of that a while back...she must really, really want a puppy since she has not "forgotten" about it. Kyle will say he really, really wants something and I won't have the money to buy it for him. On date night (every Friday), we do whatever he wants to do. That most certainly invovles a trip to Toys R Us. It is so funny to me how something he will beg for..he eventually fogets and is on to something else!!

Thanks for the update on Ashley. She looks just beautiful! I am so very glad you had some special time with Dave.

In Christ-
Amy and Kyle

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

Enjoy being lazy with your husband! :) I'll be praying for some time at home for you all, as well as Ashley's improvement.

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh a puppy - how sweet! I cannot wait to hear how she reacts and how the flight goes - I am praying your pass will be granted and that your heart continues to hold steadfast in hope in Him! You are SO loved! Sunshine

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Forgot to mention that I mailed your package today (to the address in Texas in hopes that it will get there when you do for your three day pass (thinking positively here :) ) - Much love - Sunshine "Sun"

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Keri said...

So glad to hear what a lovely time you had. I will definitely be in prayer for Ashley to make enough progress to obtain that 3-day pass -- what fun you'll have with that! And I just can't imagine what the scene will be like when the puppy arrives! Priceless!

On a personal note, my 3-year-old has had some semi-serious health issues come up recently that have me mentally putting myself in your place, imagining what it would be like if I, like you, had to leave behind my home, husband and other child to care for her in a hospital far away. Of course, I hope it won't come to that, but just having you as a shining example, in case it DOES happen, is worth more than I can say. You have set the bar for being a Christian and a loving mother in the most painful and trying of circumstances. Thank you!!!!

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Praying for a Christmas miracle for a big homecoming. Praying for Ashley's health to stabilize and to improve. Praising because I know how much He loves her and the rest of you. He is in control. Praising for "Hope".

(((hugs)))

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

So glad you had a nice restful Thanksgiving with Dave and Ashley. Praying the Alli's #2 comes true also (wouldn't she just explode getting both!). Now that Thanksgiving is over, I can "legally" say Merry Christmas. Praying that God blesses you with a Christmas miracle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home