Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/26/2007

Melting Hearts


I think we all needed this puppy. From the sounds of it she has melted the hearts of all who have met her. I'm not sure if it is the dog or the reaction of our daughter, but either way its been good for us all. Even when we don't admit it our hearts are hurting. Some days we all just keep going and try not to dwell on the hurt or the disappointment we feel. From Dave and I, to Blake and Al, to the heart of our parents, at some level we all hurt over our sweet Ashley Kate's struggles.

Tonight a little of the hurt melted if only for brief moments as Allison discovered her puppy hiding in her bathroom as she came in. "What?" Dave heard her say. "This isn't Nan's puppy. This one is white!" Out she came smiling ear to ear holding tightly to this little bundle of Hope. I wish I had been there. When I called tonight she answered the phone and said, "Hello". "Hi, baby! What'cha doing?" I asked her. "I LOVE HER! I REALLY DO." I could hear the smile on her face coming through her voice.

I just got off the phone with her again. She still can't believe this puppy is hers. She is in love and the pain in her heart has melted away tonight. She announced to her daddy that, "this was the best thing you and mommy ever did for me. Except giving me life of course!" She and her daddy are sitting on her bed playing dress up. Not with barbie dolls or polly pockets, but with Hope. "She needs jammies." Allie told him. We don't happen to have any. Yet. She settled on a pink cheerleading hoodie for Hope to sleep in. My heart is smiling just knowing how happy Allie is. What a blessing it is to be able to put smiles on our children's faces. Nothing quite compares. Whether it be Ashley Kate finding her new copy of Goodnight Moon yesterday(it was supposed to be a stocking stuffer), or taking Blake to meet Pudge(still one of the best days of his life!), or giving a little bundle of Hope to my oldest daughter who desperately wanted something to love. I love being their mom.

I so look forward to returning to our home with Ashley Kate. I just long to be near all three of the children. To tuck them into their beds each night. To listen to them talk. To see them hang out together. To hear all the details of their days. I hope that God allows us to go home for Christmas. I hope that we receive our pass this week. I hope we are all decorating our tree this Saturday as Ashley Kate plays on the living room floor. I guess Hope has kind of renewed a little of the hope I had let slip away.

Ashley looks better than she has in over 2 months. I am so thankful to see her playing, not struggling to breathe, not grunting from her aches and pains. Her lab work looked pretty good today. She needed a little magnesium so we went to the treatment center for a bolus. Her BUN has returned to a normal level for the first time in months. Her kidneys are obviously reacting well to the medication change. Unfortunately the change has caused her stooling to increase. I have no idea how long it will take for her bowel to adjust after this whole rejection thing. At this point I am replacing large amounts of fluid through her central line and this could go on for months. No one wants us to go home with this line, but we need to live in our home, not this hotel. I am praying for good things to happen this week and for soft hearts that say, "Go home for a few days or even a week." What a blessing that would be.

Well, I suppose I am ready to snuggle up next to this beautiful baby who is all tucked in with her pink, "footie" jammies and rosy cheeks. She just looks so sweet. Each time I kiss her little forehead my heart melts a little more as I love her more deeply than I did the time before. Allies is snuggled up next to her Hope and Blake is snuggled in with Nan's puppy. Dave is left with nothing to snuggle up with except a memory that will last a life time. That little puppy in her zebra striped dress has melted his heart as well, or maybe is was the smile on his little girls face. Either way he feels blessed and that blesses me.

We will all sleep a little better tonight with the hope in our hearts that this weekend Ashley Kate and I might slip into that little Texas town we like to call home. Take care my friends and rest well. Trish

P.S. Hope is a Maltese and she is not expected to be more than 4 or 5 pounds when she is full grown. She will not shed and she is said to become a very loving, gentle house pet. Our research said she would attach to one person in the family and that was our hope for Allie. Perfect for our needs for Ashley Kate as well as Allison Brooke. We have spent an entire year researching and this was the breed that came the most recommended for Ash's special needs. We feel very, very blessed to have her.

32 Comments:

At 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Trish that is just precious!! I can't even begin to have words for that moment...except to say I do remember them well with my own daughter. Such a wonderful feeling for a parent to be able to put a smile on her childs face and heart!! Just so very precious.
Very glad to hear Ashley is doing better. You are all always in my prayers! I hope and pray that you will be in Texas decorating your tree and your childrens hearts with lots and lots of wonderful memories. Sounds like you have a great start!!
take care and may God Bless you and your family!
~Okla

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ok Trish...you asked for it...I am praying from her until you get home this weekend! Watch out great things will happen! Let's all join together and pray from now until Trish and Ash are home safely this weekend!
Love in Christ,
Elizabeth

 
At 1:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for the great news "We're going home" for a while now and will continue praying.

Can't wait to see pictures of Allie and Hope. I can just see that beautiful smile on her face and the sparkle in her eyes.

Trish, if you and Ashley do get to come home this weekend, you must take the time Sat. evening or Sun. evening to come to the Festival in the Forest at the church. The gym is transformed into a beautiful winter wonderland and it will take your breath away. The choir will be singing and the music is so wonderful. Your mom helped us decorate our SS class 12 ft. tree The King of Kings - There is no way I can describe all of it to you, you just have to see it to believe it.
I remember seeing Allie and Blake with Dave's mom last year. You can have a family picture made when you arrive and pick it up on your way out. Oh, I hope you can come.
Praying for God's healing touch on Ashley.
Love and prayers

 
At 5:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, You just have to smile reading your post. What a true blessing little Hope has become. I'm so happy for Allie. I will be praying for a Christmas pass for you and Ashley. May God see it in his plans for your family to send you packing for Christmas.:) Wishing you a pleasant day with lot's of smiles and good news. God Bless..Karen.

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger Sheila Lackey said...

Trish,
I pray daily for you and Ash. My heart breaks when I read about your longings for home.
We too have a maltese and they are precious dogs! Hope will bond with Allie just like you want her to. Everything you have read is true about this dog. Great choice!

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger Tamara said...

If you had asked my opinion (which you should, tee hee) I would have TOTALLY recommended a maltese! Hope is gorgeous and we love love love maltese personality's. You didn't add she is HYPOALLERGENIC also...so that is such an added bonus!!! They really don't shed, they are really great with kids...they love them and they are precious!!! CONGRATULATIONS! Oh, might need to mention, my niece is a maltese ;) Her name is Bella.

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger KimberlyDi said...

My first dog (a rescue) was a cockapoo (a vet's best guess) but now I believe she was a Maltese. I've seen pictures and she was identical to Maltese. Smart dogs. Very loyal.

Hope would look just like her if she were butterscotch color.

Excellent choice in puppy.

 
At 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying too that you and Ash will go home if only for a short time. Oh the joy that would put in your life right now.

Pudge, he's a Detroit Tiger, right. I'm from Detroit and watch some Tigers. That's awesome he got to meet him.

Love the Pup! Adorable.

Katy

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Trish,

It sure sounds to me like Allie has gotten her best wish in the world, Blake has gotten his, and we know in our hearts that even though Ashley doesn't speak it out loud, she desires to be home with her family all around her. I am praying for this for you, and not just for a visit, but for home in time for Christmas. It is such a joy to grant your children the best thing in the world and it definitely melts hearts. The hope you hold in your heart is beautiful and is going to get you home. The wiggly little "Hope" is just what the doctor ordered for all of your hearts. You are such a blessing to me and thank you for reminding me that the hurt in your heart needs constant prayer. Praying that Ashleys progress continues to stabilize and improve moment by moment. I know in my heart she is doing her best on her end, and the Lord is working all over her. Keep your hopes high Trish, hope in the Lord and blessings to come soon!!

Love you girl, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious gift for your big girl - HOPE! I am sure Allie is loving her little pup and probably had a hard time going to school this morning :) Praying that you are able to get your pass for this weekend. SO glad that Ashley is improving and praying that this continues!

 
At 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying you get your wish, and PTL, Allison got hers! What a blessing!

 
At 9:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, no doubt about it, we're ALL in love with HOPE! She is so wonderful - even old Greypa's heart was smitten with her! I think he might even be thinking we could handle a little jewel like her; but not just yet. He is beginning to sound like it though. For a while I think we'll just have to settle for loving on Hope and Nokie. What a blessing for the Adams family; specially Allie. Wish I could have heard Ash's little giggle when Hope ran past her and she got tickled. Dave said it was so great to hear. Praying, praying, praying for ya'll to get that weekend pass. Love and Hugs to you both - Grandma

 
At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious Trish! What a wonderful surprise for Allie. What a blessing for Allie's wish to come true and I will pray that your wish comes true. Praying for continued healing and good days ahead.

Holding you close to my heart!

Love,
Jule White

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger Shari said...

Oh Trish--I have tears! To see our children with smiles and knowing they are happy melts hearts, doesn't it? The pictures are so sweet. The one of her sleeping is just adorable. I am glad Ash is doing better today and playing. I pray that God will work a miracle and you can be home soon.

Prayerfully and lovingly,

Shari

 
At 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture of the two of them sleeping - absolutley precious!

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

I'm thrilled for Allison Brooke. What a magical time and magical memories will be had with little Hope. Also thankful that Ashley looks good, and praying continually that you will be home soon for good, and at least get some time at home in the short term, especially around Christmas.

You are such a great mom, Trish. I know it isn't your intent, but you really do inspire.

 
At 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Praying that many blessings and miracles come your way. Love you guys!

 
At 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your entry today brought a huge smile. :) Your daughter is beautiful, and she looks wonderfully content with her new little companion. Puppies have a magical way of providing unconditional love and loyalty that does the heart good.
I am so happy to hear that Ashley is feeling well enough to play. I pray that this is the beginning of many, MANY good, pain-free days for her!
I am hopeful that you and Ashley will be able to go home. I imagine the joy in her eyes while helping place ornaments on a tree full of lights. It is an image I will hold on to, and pray that God will allow her to experience at HOME with her family this year. Afterall, that IS the best medicine!
Take care, Trish, and breathe a sigh of relief in knowing that so many are covering your family in prayer.
Love in Christ,
Tina

 
At 1:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful update. I am so glad Allie and Hope have bonded already. And I will continue to pray that the family be reunited soon - even if only for a few days.
-Cari in Arkansas

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger Living to Love said...

That dog is sooo stinkn cute! I can only imagine the spirits lifted by this puppy. We love our dogs. They can bring SO much joy to ones life! Congrats on this joyful time for you guys. I'm praying for you and Ash to be able to go home soon!

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks for adding the pictures. :) I think it's wonderful how God puts little animals in our lives that just enhance our joy of Him. We have a mut named Oscar and he has blessed us so much. I love the smile on my son's face when Oscar runs in the backdoor. Praying that you can be back here at least a little this Christmas season.

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Melissa De Mers said...

this post made my heart feel warm and fuzzy! i will pray that you guys get your pass so you can be home w/your family, if only for a few days. your strength sounds like it needs to be renewed!

take care
love,
melissa

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Praying for a pass this weekend. Such a precious picture of Alli sleeping with Hope. So cute! I bet she was just bouncing at school today telling all her friends about her present. How cool! Glad Ashley is feeling better. So, Dave's trip with Hope went well, I'm taking it?

 
At 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious!!! What a wonderful surprise for your sweet daughter.

So glad to hear that Ashley is feeling so much better. I know it puts a smile on your face to see her playing and feeling good.

Praying for all of you!
Love in Christ,
Lori and family

 
At 4:06 PM , Blogger Connie said...

What a joy! Now I want a puppy...but I know your Allie needed Hope more than I do. I'm so happy for her! I know Hope will bring joy to all of you. Pets are such a gift from God.

 
At 4:54 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Precious...absolutely precious! We are praying for y'all. Sunshine

 
At 7:45 PM , Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said...

How very precious. And you couldn't have chosen a better pup. I grew up with a little maltese we names Nicki. She was a WONDERFUL dog and attached to my Mom:)

What a sweet thoughtful gift! I am praying for you and your hopes:)

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

So sweet...makes me want a puppy of my own. I sure hope you get to take Ashley home for Christmas soon. God bless you and know that many are praying for you. I will say a special prayer for you tonight.

Mandy
GA
www.madelinegracehopkins.blogspot.com

 
At 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures! Especially the one of them both asleep cuddled up. I'm so glad to hear Ashley is playing and feeling better! Will continue to pray that you both will be able to go home soon.

 
At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look so sweet together!!!!
Karen

 
At 7:01 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

What beautiful pictures of Allie! She looks SO sweet :) I have a friend who has a Maltese, and that dog is the best-loved thing I've ever seen--so far. I bet Hope will surpass that soon! What a wonderful surprise! You and Dave are a child's dream parents :)

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Priscilla said...

Yea! My little maltese is very attached to me...she loves everyone, but she absolutely knows who her mommy is. I'm sure it will be the same for your Allie!

Good luck on getting your weekend pass.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home