Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/07/2008

I love...

...the way they love her! It blesses my soul. How thankful I am for Blake and Allison and the way they love their baby sister.

I love to see Ash cuddled up on Allie's lap or on her hip. Al loves to take Ash everywhere in the house and has learned how to maneuver her very well.

I love to see Ash sitting in the middle of Blake's bed while he cleans his room. He just wants to hang out with her and it is the sweetest thing.

I love to over hear their conversations with her. Allie is constantly comforting Ash and making sure she is ok. Each time Blake walks into the room I hear him say, "Well, Hi baby pickle."

They love having her home. As parents Dave and I have often wondered what the time spent away from home would do to Blake and Allie's relationship with Ash. There were times that I worried we had been gone far too long for them to stay connected. It really is two completely different worlds. The world for Dave, Blake, and Al at home was so far from where the world Ash and I lived in was. It never failed to bless my heart to see her light up the minute they would arrive for a visit or to see the smiles spread across their faces once they walked into her room. This weekend Dave and I enjoyed watching the children together and seeing just how well they have re-connected with Ashley Kate.

Blake offered to "baby-sit" Ash on Saturday so Dave and I could spend some time visiting with each other. When I went to check on them Ashley Kate was asleep sitting up next to Blake on his bed and he was humming to her and patting her. Her little head kept drooping to the side as her eyelids closed tightly. As I stood at the door and watched he carefully positioned his pillows and gently laid her back. Next he tucked her under a blanket all the while being careful not to wake her. I was amazed that this tough, athletic, twelve year old boy could be so gentle. When he noticed me watching he explained how very tired she was and that he would stay next to her on the bed so she could nap. A while later I went back to see him resting next to her. He sure loves that baby.

Allie loves to sing and read to Ashley Kate. Dave and I spent some time with Blake in the batting cage out back on Sunday afternoon and I came in to see Ash with her big sister laying on the couch reading books together. Ashley Kate had her book laid across her face being silly. Allie assured me they were fine and that when they were done reading she would bring her out back with us. Our girls looked so beautiful to me in that moment. My heart was so blessed.

I love the way they love her. They love her with the love of Christ. Looking past the outside and focusing on the inside. Loving who she is, not what she can do. They no longer see the ostomy bags or the feeding tubes and pumps. Her scars don't bother them. She is their sister and they love her just the way she is. If only I could remember to see everyone the way they see Ashley Kate. Loving people for who they are inside and not focusing on the imperfections or the attachments they may have on their outsides. Never passing by without a heartfelt greeting or a touch. Just being the hands, the arms, the feet of Jesus for those He brings into my life. I'm learning so much from my children these days. I love them for loving Him, for loving her, and for loving me.

17 Comments:

At 10:03 PM , Blogger sarahdodson said...

I love your description of Blake "babysitting" his sister. How precious! So happy for you to have your family together and to be HOME! :)

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

I love this post Trish, just love it.
This is family in the purest form Jesus can give. What a blessing all three of your kids are to eachother, they are blood siblings, glued together in love. You and Dave have the three sweetest kids in this world, as I am sure you are the first to know. Praying for Ashley to continue to heal. You did not mention how she was doing with the fever, so I am going to take it that she is doing better, praise God. Enjoy every moment of love that you stumble upon when these kids are together. What a sweet picture it puts in my heart. Love you and may the Lord continue to reassure you that He is right there, keeping His eyes on all five of you. Isn't He wonderful?

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 10:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious post! What a life-long lessons your children are learning at a young age. I so wish we lived in a world where we all looked at the hearts of people and not the outward appearance. May God bless you and your precious family.

 
At 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful little man you have on your hands. His wife will be a lucky lady.

And you are so blessed to have such a sweet, caring daughter. In an age where girls her age are all about themselves, it is nice to see a girl with priorities.

What a great mother you are!

Oh, P.S. Where do you get all of Ash's adorable hair bows?
Kim

 
At 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just the sweetest story about the children!! I truly can learn from them myself! Your post tonight has sure given me something to think about. Thank you very much for that!

My heart was lifted by this description of Blake & Allie loving their baby sister.

Prayers as always coming from this heart!

May God Bless you all always!
~Okla

 
At 1:02 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

How absolutely precious! SO precious! I am so glad that she is home and that you guys are a family under one roof. Still praying! Sunshine

 
At 5:59 AM , Blogger Tami said...

I've never left a comment before, but I had to this time.
We have two little ones that were adopted from China and two biological "bigs" that are about Blake and Alli's age. It is a special blessing to a mom's heart to watch all of her children love eachother; regaurdless of how they entered the family and in spite of what they look like on the outside...
Thank you for journaling. My heart has been so encouraged by what you write. It has been an honor to hold Ashley up to the loving Father.
Many blessings!

 
At 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have such an awesome family. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say Trish? You've done it again. Your post really touched me this time. My husband was recently diagnosed with having severe sleep apnea and now has to wear one of those sleep apnea masks. I am on the night shift right now and get off work at six o'clock in the morning the other day. Needless to say it kind of freaked me out a little bit when I went up to bed at seven in the morning and I heard this machine blowing air into my husband and saw this mask on his face and these tubes coming from that mask. It made me feel like I was walking into a hospital room! Your post helped me to put things BACK into perspective. My husband is NOT sleep apnea! He is not that mask. He is not the tubes running from that mask pumping air so he can breathe. MY husband is a child of God and he is my best friend. Thanks for helping me to put things back into perspective Trish. As I said, you did it again:) Love lots, Judy

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Christ's love in action. Oh I am so thankful! Continuing to pray...seeing Jesus' Hand upon you is so very beautiful.
Holly

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

You can always manage to bring tears to my eyes and today is no different! I am learning a lot from you and your family...I thank God that I stumbled upon your blog...it really has meant so much for me to be able to pray for your family! May God continue to bless you and keep you!
In Christ,
Elizabeth

 
At 12:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea just how deep and far reaching your journals are being used in and for God's purpose? Thank you so much for sharing! still praying in Central IL

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

What a precious, wonderful post. The description of Blake babysitting brought tears to my eyes. How sweet! Ashley is very blessed to have two wonderful siblings that obviously adore her. I was AWOL a few days and missed the little scare you had with Ashley over the weekend. Bless your heart. I'm so glad she is feeling so much better.

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Monique said...

This just made me feel so warm and happy for your family. You are all so blessed.

 
At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Trish!

Love, Jule White

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

This post is amazing. I don't have words to convey how it touches me, Trish. Blessings to you all, and praise God from whom all blessings flow. xxxooogretchen

 
At 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your children are all amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home