Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/14/2008

Trading Places

This morning as the kids were walking out the door for school I curled up under a blanket on the couch and giggled as I told them I was just going to stay there for a while. "What!" "Huh!" Those were the initial responses. "Were trading places with you and your going to school today." If only I had been able to stay on the couch all day, curled up under that blanket. Wouldn't that be the life?

They were convinced they wanted my job this morning. Until they came in from practice tonight and asked me how my day under the blanket was. When I told them it only lasted a couple of minutes and then the real fun began they decided their life was a whole lot better than mine. I tried to convince them that their lives weren't better only different. Hanging out with their friends had become a whole lot more appealing than cleaning up Ashley Kate's ostomy masterpiece. I would be willing to pay good money to anyone who had some kind of advice for teaching a two year old to leave her ostomy bag in place. I am definitely failing at this part of my job.

It was a busy , hectic day and I have just now stopped to take a moment to blog. Even on my busiest days I find myself continuously thanking the Father for this life. Just being here to do my list of "to dos" makes me smile. Ashley Kate is ready to pull an all nighter with her mommy after her late evening nap. I think we will stay up and finish the laundry in hopes of getting a head start on tomorrow. Hopefully with a little jump start we will be able to accomplish even more tomorrow. She has an eval for therapy in the morning and then the real fun begins again on Wednesday. I know her therapists think she's cute, but I am afraid their admiration ends right there. Ash has NO social skills and the minute they walk in the door she begins to cry. She will cry and fight the whole time they are here and she won't stop until she is waving "bye bye" to them as they are headed down the walk. Sweet Ashley Kate isn't very sweet to those who expect her to do a little work.

You just have to love her. I know I sure do. Even with her attitude, orneriness, and trouble making skills. I look at her and my heart melts each and every time. Those eyes, those lashes, her tiny nose and rosy cheeks. She scrunches up her nose and grins from ear to ear. I love being her mommy and I wouldn't trade places with anyone.

Hope you all are well. Thanks so much for those who continue to pray for our pickle. We find things to be encouraged about each and every day, and you are such a blessing to us. Good night my friends. Trish

10 Comments:

At 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to smile! She just sounds so adorable!! I am still laughing at her not calming down until she says "bye bye" to the therapist!! Oh my!! How funny. Thank you so very much for sharing Trish.
I am always praying for ya'll...everyday!! I myself have been very busy lately but I am reading the blogs and praying. :o) So happy to hear things are well.
May God Bless you all!
~Okla

 
At 11:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose now would be a good time to pray for the Therapists, huh? For them to be able to come up with a plan that would really interest little Ashley enough that she doesn't cry when she sees them. I have a clown wig somewhere that I could bring by and let them walk in with it on~~~ it is several different colors, bright colors. Maybe that would grab her attention. If that is something you would need or would like to try, your mom has my number, just give me a call.
Just know that we continue to pray for all of you.
I, too, am doing laundry, lol.

Love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm pretty sure everyone who knows that girl is taken by her! From your descriptions of her, along with her beautiful pictures, she sounds like a girl wins hearts left and right! She sure has won my family's hearts! We pray for her faithfully, and I love hearing how well she--and you all!--are doing.

I hope your day of "normal" is wonderful today! I'm just gearing up to meet the mountain of laundry myself, and reading this post reminds me that it's a blessing to be here to do it. Thanks, as always, for being such an encourager, Trish!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Ah, social skills, I know adults who could benefit from the Therapists:)
With all Ashley has been through, I am sure this one was not on the top of her list of things to do:) She will be okay once she realizes they aren't the enemy. I am praying for them now!!:) Trish, I just love reading about the day to day things you continue in your care for Ashley, knowing you are doing it from home. My heart just soars for you knowing you have the love and support of your family at your fingertips and not over the keyboard or phone. I continue praying it stays this way from here on out and for her little body to continue healing in Gods care. Blessings to you today mom!!

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Face it, Trish--ostomy is just a great paint! How many 2-year-olds get to "play" with such an interesting toy? Ash knows she's special! Glad she's doing well--even if she is a stinker!

 
At 11:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following daily since your exodus, but haven't written since then. But today I got to thinking how settled you have become again. How it just seems like a bad dream, the endless weeks in the PICU, the constant prayers we all ushered up for you and Ashley.

It is so good to "see" you home!

 
At 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying, of course.

If Ash didn't have fight in her, she would never have survived. She can't turn it off and on. I take that back. I guess she does, doesn't she. LOL

Long live the FIGHTERS!

 
At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley makes us all smile! We mention her name every day in our house. Amazing how strangers can care about each other so much! Praying for all of you!

Blessings,
Lori

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

What a cutie! I am SO happy to read about your days - I hope you get some rest and we will continue praying! Much love and many hugs! Sunshine

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Praying for y'all! Asking God to work a miracle over her therapy session tomorrow and give her a happy face for the nice therapists :)

Thankful for your family!
In Hias Joy,
Holly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home