Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

5/06/2009

One down...

...four to go.

We successfully made it through the first day with Ash's IV at home. It has been another frightening first for me. There have been lots and lots of those in the last few years. When I finally got the courage to flush it and hook up the antibiotic I realized it wasn't near as big of a deal as I had feared. It flushes really easy at this time. I was told that it will probably get more and more sluggish each day and to expect that, but I'm hoping for four more days of it being easy. Ashley is really, really good with it unless you are attempting to flush it. Then she gets upset knowing that she is going to feel it and it bothers her. It's taking two of us to get her meds hooked up. One to hold her down and the other to work with the IV. Our prayer is that it lasts through Saturday evening at which time a nurse will come out around 10pm to pull it out for us. Then she will be completely free of all lines. So far her stooling out has been minimal and I have been able to keep up with it by adding 1/2 normal to her enteral feedings. She continues spiking fevers and that is really concerning to me. Her blood culture is still negative, but the fevers suggest that the bacteria is still lingering somewhere in her body. If we can get her through this infection then I'm starting to get hopeful that she might turn a corner as summer approaches. What a blessing it would be to have a series of days that might turn into weeks with a "well" baby.

Ash and I are enjoying sitting here at home. Nowhere for us to go with this IV in her hand. We are watching the rain fall outside our windows and listening to the loud thunder overhead. Its really very nice. The rain is one of my favorite things when I don't have to get out in it and as long as it doesn't cancel a tournament for the kids. So on day's like today I just get to enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to getting this IV removed this weekend cause that means Ash gets to learn how to take a bath all over again. Setting her down into the tub is much easier on me then lifting her up onto the cabinet near the sink. She hates baths, but I sure love having the ability to give her a real one. I think she's been line free for a total of about 4 months in almost 4 years. When I think about it its no wonder she's scared of the tub. She's never really had an opportunity to get used to it. Perhaps this will be the time.

Well, not much happening around here. Maybe a couple of loads of laundry and some window cleaning. I might start to pack up some things for the attic to get the house ready to show. I think we are planning to list it next week. Most people(including our realtor) seem to think it will go fast. I have no idea. I've never sold a house before. I'm just trusting that things will work out and that we will be moved sometime this summer so that Blake might start school(with his friends) in the fall. That's the goal anyway. We still have our eye on that big remodel job. Its hard to walk away from that many square feet and the possibilities it holds for Ash. Again, I'm just trusting it all works out and that the right place will be available when were ready. When we asked our realtor how all the details seem to work out at the right time she answered, "There's this thing called "God". Yeah, I think most things in our life are a "God thing". I like knowing that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home