Ashley Kate's large lumen stopped returning blood flow yesterday afternoon. It did the same thing last Tuesday and so we had to go to interventional radiology last Wednesday in Shreveport. I'm discouraged to see it has once again stopped. Its really very important that it work correctly. Once is stops doing its job then red flags begin to appear. We NEED it to work. We NEED it to function. We DON'T have any other options.
I'm trying not to panic. I am thankful that it is still infusing. I am thankful that the smaller port is drawing and infusing. Its just a little frightening to watch it start to act up.
Not sure what we are going to do about it. We may try to get the ER to use TPA for us here in Longview, but the last attempt at that we were given a HUGE run around and sent to another hospital. I have another appointment in Shreveport next Wednesday, but waiting an entire week isn't the best option. Using TPA is a "no brainer". Its done all the time and has been used with Ashley more times than I can count. I just wish our little town didn't freak out every time we took our 5 year old in to have it done. Sometimes I wonder if she is the only pediatric patient in this town with a central line? Surely, she can't be.
I guess what I'm saying this morning is that we NEED it to work and we NEED your prayers that it will. I am unable to use a vanc or heparin lock in the line since I am unable to get it to return. Flushing into her blood stream isn't the design of either of those locks.