Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/03/2007

Another Day

Another day is gone and we are ready to call it done. Ashley Kate is fast asleep in Omaha, Allison Brooke and her friend Chelsea are reading themselves for bed back at grandmas in Longview, and Blake and Dave are tucked in early at the hotel in Plano in preparation for tomorrow's games. The Tarheels are first seed for tomorrow's tournament play after winning 15-0 in the first and 10-0 in their second.

It's been a good day for us all. We may be separated by many miles, but our hearts are united and we all hope for the day of Ash's homecoming to be soon. Ashley Kate looks so very good. She played herself into exhaustion today and actually went to sleep for the night by 7:30 this evening. She enjoyed "talking" to her daddy over the phone during the ballgames. She made me laugh out loud as she pushed button after button in his ear. She insisted on holding the phone up to her ear on her own. She would tilt her little head and grin as she listened to his voice. Even after we had hung up she kept playing with the phone and even held it up to my ear to "listen". If I attempted to take it away from her I would be confronted with that little head shaking that loves to tell me, "No,no." She is an ornery pickle.

Tonight we sat in the recliner and watched the wind blow leaves from the tree branches. The leaves would twirl and twirl as they floated to the ground. I find it amazing that God allows me to experience such joy out of something so simple. Just a feeling of contentment came over me as I held my baby and watched the wind carry those leaves to the ground. I became grateful for those trees that sit outside our window. How blessed Ash and I are to have been given this room. When our surgeon came by for rounds this morning he said, "You guys always have the nicest rooms here." That made me smile because usually he is teasing us because everything is pink, or too girly, or something along those lines. It is by far the largest, the nicest, and the most comfortable we have ever had here. It has two large windows in it that allow the sun to come shining into our room each day. Outside of our windows is a little courtyard, some flagstone walkways(that remind me of home), a few trees, and the smokers hut(but I try to ignore that part and just concentrate on the beauty that I can see). Ashley and I have plenty of room to play, do therapy, and "live". I really do feel blessed to be in this room. We are at the very end of the hallway with very little traffic, and we are able to rest well because we aren't being flooded by light from the outside hallways.


Ash's feeds are up to 35 and her TPN is down to 25. We continue to make slow and steady progress. We will check her output at 2am to see if we can increase and decrease by 5 more on each. She continues to throw up a lot, but no one is concerned about it. I am wondering if it is just going to take a while for her bowel to re adjust to being fed? She may throw up for months to come. I forgot the exact number of days that she has been vomiting, but at last count it was close to 50 something. It just doesn't seem normal to me that she continues it. I keep thinking it is a symptom of something and that the underlying cause is just waiting to be discovered. Perhaps I am wrong and it may just go away someday. At least I hope it does.

Like I said another day is done and it has been a good one. Just knowing that even better ones are in our future keeps me going while we are here. Even in the midst of all of this we are really, really blessed, and God continues to protect Ashley Kate's life. For this I am thankful. I think I am going to go lay down and listen to some sounds of the season as I drift off to sleep. I hope your day was blessed and that you are settling in for the night too. Thank you for checking on Ash today. Your time here is a blessing to me. Good night. Trish

12 Comments:

At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each one of your journal entries touches my heart deep inside. I am so glad you've had so many special and tender moments lately and can find God's blessings tucked away in so many sights and experiences. Your journal helps remind us all to look a little closer and more intimtely at every aspect of our day. Praying for y'all. Lou Ann

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger TheRagan3 said...

There is nothing better than a great window with a beautiful view when you are stuck in a place like that. I was on 5 weeks of bedrest in the hospital when I was pregnant with my son. I did not have that great window like you had but after 3 weeks I was allowed out in a wheelchair. I can't tell you what a mood booster the fall and the beauty that God has created can be. I'm so glad that you have that view, not only of creation but of the ONE who made it.
May our Father continue to bless you and Ashley... Praying for a time for you and she to come home to the rest of your sweet family.
God's best to you-
Erinn
Mommy to Abraham, Maryland

 
At 12:11 AM , Blogger Julie said...

So nice to hear you had a good day. How wonderful that you have such beautiful scenery to look at out your window.

Praying sweet Ashely will stop throwing up soon. Poor little thing.

Warmly,
Julie

 
At 5:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the the feeds are going up little by little. Ash and the whole family are in my prayers! ~Chan~

 
At 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continnue to be in my thougths and prayers as I travel and am unable to make comments here. Please know that you have touched my heart and I think of you and your family often.
Prayers,
Heidi in CT (and traveling)

 
At 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your description of the leaves....& the trees. God reminds us often of HIM & HIS amazing creations....all we have to do is open our eyes.....& take it in. Thankful today was better for you .... praying...

 
At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying. You have such a talent for making us all feel like we're there with you. I felt like I was watching the leaves fall outside your window as I read. How wonderful that you are able to see God's blessings while you're there in that hospital room! Glad Ashley is making progress and that her smiles and giggles are more frequent. Will pray that you both will be able to go home soon!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so glad that God arranged that "nicest room there" just for the two of you. He wanted to give you the view of His nature outside the windows to show He is there changing nature, and changing Ashleys condition. It is all good and to hear that you are content in this situation, well, this will get you through. He has His eye on everything so that you can relax and rest. I am thankful and hopeful for you and prayers continue for Him to bring you girls home soon. Have a most wonderful and peaceful day today as He continues His work in Ashleys little body.
Love to you both, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are having another good day today.
Still praying,
Beth

 
At 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you all are having another good day! Just wanted to check in and let you know we are praying for you all today.

God bless,
Lori

 
At 3:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so ahppy for the lkittle pleasures in life that remind us of God's constant presence - like the leaves in the wind! Thankful that you are at peace and having a wonderful day with Ashley. Praying t hat you will soon be looking at your own yard when you sit by the window!!

 
At 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish - I apologize for calling. I could hear your sweet baby in the background...I was trying to make it quick. I would have felt terrible if I sent you something she already had - or that you may not approve of and then you have to worry about exchanging it.

Thank you for your kind words! Continuously praying......
Amy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home