Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/29/2007

"Pumpkin Pie"

Thank you so much for the time spent in prayer for us tonight. As I stood by Ashley Kate's crib lifting her up to the Father I could feel the presence of many inside my heart. You will never know the impact you have made in our family and in the life of our little girl.


This was my very first image of this years fall. My first day outside in almost 7 weeks. Oh, how beautiful to spend the day outside enjoying all that the Father created along with two of our three children. Friday after rounds Dave and I took Blake and Allie to the pumpkin patch here in Nebraska. If you have never been to the pumpkin patch in Nebraska then I dare say you have never "really" been to one. I know I hadn't. The weather? Lets just say that living in Texas the majority of our pumpkin patch pictures have been staged. Through the years I have been known to "force" our family into sweaters and jackets in nice fall colors just to capture that fall like feel in our photographs. All the while the sun was beating down on us in about 90degree temps causing most of us (including me) to be miserable by days end, but oh the pictures I have taken. This years pictures are AUTHENTIC! The children had to keep jackets on in order to enjoy the day. I had to borrow a pair of tennis shoes so that I didn't freeze my toes off in my flip flops. I think the temps were around the mid 50's and it made for a perfect day of running around the amusement park, I mean the pumpkin patch. It was as big as an amusement park with just as much to do and enjoy. What a great time we had together. How I wish our "Pumpkin Pie" ( a new nickname one of the x-ray techs gave our Ashley Kate which just made me giggle) had been with us. When we asked if we could bring back a pumpkin in order to take some pictures of her with it and to let her touch it we were quickly told "NO!". So much for trying to be polite and ask. Next time I will just do it and let them chastise me for it later. So after all our wishing and hoping Ash did not get to see her first pumpkin. They told me to bring her a plastic one. Like a plastic one from the shelves of walmart that has been touched by a thousand hands was going to be any safer? We decided we would just have to wait another year to let her see one of those big orange circles.

I'm afraid if I shared with you all that we did this day you would be reading all night. So instead of boring you I will attempt to hit the highlights. What is there to do at a pumpkin patch other than pick out a pumpkin?


Paint ball. Pig racing (you would just have to be there to understand). Pumpkinopolis 5000 cart races. Gemstone Mining( Allie is an avid rock collector and we really enjoyed mining for stones. Dave and I have decide to sneak one of the emerald stones out of her bag and have it set in a ring for her for Christmas this year. I can't wait!). The Cookie Coop(Blake's favorite event of the day. An entire cone of warm, fresh, from the oven, gooey, chocolate chip cookies to warm your tummy. He was in Heaven and couldn't stop smiling!). Pillow jumping. Apple launching. Pumpkin cannons. Pumpkin eating dragons. Mazes( we all choose a different entrance and raced to the end. Who do you think won? Of course it was Blake.) Cotton candy, Carmel apples, chili, corn dogs, smores, campfires and anything else you can think of to make the experience last a life time. We truly had a great time just being together. In the back of our minds and always in our hearts remained our baby gherkin and a longing to have her there with us. Things just aren't as precious when we are separated, but still we remained thankful for the time we were given to enjoy a fun filled day. I long for the days when she is back out of the hospital and living life with us once again.

I pray this is the last holiday season she misses out on. Thanksgiving and Christmas remain on my prayer list and I know the Father knows how desperately we all want to be back home together in Texas(even if the weather is so warm we have to fake those photographs!) Thank you guys for rejoicing in out time spent together. Thank you for your continued prayers. Thank you for caring. Goodnight and may God Bless you. Trish

16 Comments:

At 10:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww! Such fun photos! I'm so glad you had such nice weather and were able to get out and do so many things! I see that your hub even has a Husker sweatshirt on! Is that allowed? We've lived here almost 20 years, and I still can't bring myself to shed my O-State Cowboy shirts for the red ones they sell here! ;-)


Brenda

 
At 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish, :o)
What a wondeful day you shared with your family!!! How fun!! Thank you for sharing it with us!! Even though we have never met, I feel such a bond with your family. That may sound kind of silly, but I truly believe that the Lord led me to your sight. I feel so blessed to be able to pray for your family!! Our Lord is using you!!! I appreciate you more than words can say!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Praying for precious Ashley and your sweet family!!!!!

Love,
Lisa

 
At 10:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie and I prayed for Ashley tonight! We hope her breathing difficulty has resolved by morning.
We're praising God with you for the family time you were able to spend together.

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger Sunny Day Tag Girl said...

The mid-west does know how to "Do" pumpkin patches!!! So glad you had a good visit...still praying for you all to be home for the Holidays.

 
At 5:25 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Sounds like you had an awesome day! Im glad you all were able to have some fun in the midst of everything.

 
At 6:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks likeyou all relly had a great time together. I'm so glad you were able to get out and have that time with the big kids. Still praying that the holidays will be spent together back at home!! Praying that Ash avoids all of the viruses that run the halls and that her feeds get better!

 
At 6:35 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

What an amazing day...such a gift. As I was praying last night, I was just overcome that through all of this you would continue to be willing to share Ashley's story with us. We are the honored ones, Trish. Ashley has truly blessed our lives. And praying for her all together was so special. I wondered if you felt the prayer coverage like a warm blanket last night. Thank you, once again, for allowing us into your lives.

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

What a fun day! You look fantastic!

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Trish,
The pictures say it all! How great to be able to have a "normal" day together in the midst of this journey with Ashley's health. Hold these memories tight in your heart until you are all together again for good.
Praying with you for the Holidays and for your peace and rest, and for Ashley's complete recovery. Hold on to your HOPE in Jesus.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 7:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michaels Crafts and JoAnn Fabrics both have very lifelike pumpkins (seriously you can barely tell the differance) and you can even carve them.

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Thank you for sharing your photos and your heart. Praying. Always.

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

How awesome that you were able to make these good memories that will stay with you. Great pictures! What a fun time! Praying Ashley gets stronger and stronger and that the Lord shields her from all those yucky bugs in the hospital.

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger Melody said...

What a great pumpkin patch! Sure beats those rows of pumpkins in front of churches that we have here! I'm glad your family got to go and have a good time even if Ashley couldn't go. You guys seem like really great parents who are sensitive to the needs of ALL your kids when one's needs could seem so overwhelming! God definitely chose the right parents for Ashley!

I'll be praying that your WHOLE family can enjoy the fun together back here in Texas for the coming holidays!

 
At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to that very pumpkin patch...it truly is a great place to create memories with your little ones!!! So proud of Dave wearing that Husker shirt(even with the season they have been having) So glad you guys had your time together...praying for you guys!!!

 
At 11:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family is so beautiful! What a precious time you all spent together! Your older kids look like they are really walking in grace and mercy through all of this, no pouty faces or attitude showed in any of the photos. I am sure you feel doubly blessed with their patience and love through this.

Still praying....

 
At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! We just went to the pumpkin patch but it was not like that one!! I agree with you on the plastic pumpkin. I'm sure a Wal Mart pumpkin has WAY more germs than a real one (that may never have even been touched)! Oh well, praying she'll be home soon in time for a real one at home.
Still praying.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home