Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/21/2007

Our Best Day Yet!

It's been 5 weeks today since our sweet Ashley had gotten sick. We took her into the hospital for what we thought would be an overnight observation while she received some fluids. Little did we know that our tiny pickle would not come out, but would actually be sent back to Omaha. The early weeks were filled with heart break and disappointment, fear of major surgeries and the diagnosis of rejection. What a roller coaster of emotion.

Today our little one returned. Full force. She has smiled, played, giggled, sparkled, and brought such joy and encouragement to our hearts. I saw Ash in her eyes for the first time in over a month. She was silly and ornery. Refusing my kisses and shaking her head "no, no" each time I asked her if she loved me. She would lean her forehead into mine as I would say, "I love ya, love ya, love ya!" To which she would smile that amazing smile and cut those twinkly eyes. I truly do love this child. What joy she brings! My heart is encouraged. Although she struggled this past month, she held on to her spirit and today was the day for it to shine.

So what is our exciting news of the day? Ashley Kate is having dinner tonight! That's right, we have just hung her first feeds in exactly 5 weeks today. Our sweet baby has not been fed in 35 days. Her bowel has suffered much injury in the past 5 weeks. It has come out of rejection and is still healing from a severe case of numetosis, but tonight is our trial run. We have started with a "thimble full" of neocate to test it out. Although I am SO excited to be at this place, it could possibly be a dangerous place for her. We have no idea what her bowel will do with the food we are trickling into it. Will it absorb? Is there motility enough to move it through? Is the numetosis infection healed enough not to react to the feeds and flare back up? We just don't know. What we hope is that she does not become sick, does not become distended, does not vomit, and does not spike a fever. We need for her bowel to do its job and do it well. This is our first step toward making our way back home to Texas. I was so surprised to find out we would be taking it tonight. If her bowel does not react the right way then we are at great risk of developing another case of NEC. NEC is the original condition that led us all the way into transplant life. If her bowel allows the formula to sit stagnant inside without absorption or motility then bacteria will set in and could possibly cause the tissue of the bowel to necrose or die. That would be disastrous. We have decided to keep her antibiotic coverage going just in case this occurs in hopes of protecting her against bacterial infection. Excited and anxious. Thats is exactly where I find myself tonight.


Without a doubt this has been our best day yet in Omaha. I am praying that she will continue to do better and better. I hope she stays like this and that she will be ready to play and play and play when Dave and the kids arrive this week. I couldn't help but feel blessed over and over and over again today as I enjoyed the return of our Ashley's personality. This transplant life is so very hard, but on days like today you become so very thankful for the gift that was given. God has been so good and so faithful to us. Thank you for checking on Ash tonight. I hope your smiling as big as I am knowing we have taken our first step toward home. Your prayers are going to get us there. I just know it! Take care my friends and good night. Trish

P.S.

The Tarheels won the tournament tonight. The second game was 13-3 and the third was 10-1. Yeah Tarheels! We are so proud of you guys. To top it all off, the Red Sox are on their way to the World Series against the Rockies. Now who are we supposed to root for? I can feel a division in our family rising up.

44 Comments:

At 11:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I'm praying her bowel does beautifully and she continues this walk toward health, happiness, and home!

Thank you, our Good Father!

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

So glad to hear about her great day!! Praying that her bowel does exactly what it's supposed to do!!

 
At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so good! I'm so glad you and little Ashley have had a good day. I pray that you both rest well tonight, and that tomorrow will be even better.

Our God is a miracle-working God, and I'm trusting Him for a miracle for precious Ashley.

 
At 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!!!! That is GREAT news!! Thank you Jesus!!! I can only imagine how happy you must be. Praying for your sweet Ashley as she has her first meal tonight. :o) PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Lisa

 
At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God! I have been praying for little Ashley for several months, I just can't seem to stop thinking about her. I really feel like the week ahead is going to be a wonderful week. Thank you so much for sharing Ashley's story, it is a true blessing!

 
At 11:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! How exciting, and how fabulous that she FEELS so good, as well!! :)

Can't wait to read an update saying everything moved on through beautifully!

Brenda

 
At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise our great God! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Praying for the bowel to become completely healed and for Ashley's body to be restored to the glory of God. I am so happy that she is back! What a love she is and I love her spirit. That girl is a fighter. Go Ashley, GO! Love tonight and prayers of guardian angels for you both, Colleen in Ohio

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

I have been waiting to see what the news was. I am so excited for you! I will be praying for good reaction from the feeds. Way to go Tarheels!

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger Sunny Day Tag Girl said...

So Happy for you all!!!!!

 
At 12:33 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Woohoo! WTG Ashley, and praise the Lord! :)
Will be praying for continued good news.

 
At 1:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy with the good news!!! That this little lady has returned and has had such a good day!! That makes us have a good day. Eating again at last~~~~yea!! Yea Blake!!!!! Yea Allie!!!!
I believe today has been just what the doctor ordered for all the Adams family. May all of you have restful sleep.
Much love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 5:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats great news! I'll be praying!

 
At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What woonderful news! I am praying this morning that she had a great night and that tomorrowis another great day! Enjoy another day with your sweet baby!

 
At 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! How exciting! hope everything went in and cameout well! Still praying you home.
Beth

 
At 6:17 AM , Blogger Fiffer said...

Rejoicing with you! There are so many days that my heart just aches for what you are going through, so today I'm glad that my heart can rejoice in this good news!! And what perfect timing -- just when the rest of the family is about to come. Praying that each day shows more and more improvement. I'm so thankful you see that twinkle in her eyes again!

Love,
Martha

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

What wonderful, wonderful news! I am praying that Ashley's bowel handles the feeding and this will start the process toward you both GOING HOME!!! *hugs*

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

It is great to hear this wonderful news. I was away for the weekend and thought about Ashley quite a bit and I couldn't wait to get home to check on how she was doing. Praise God!!!

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Carey said...

I hope she enjoys her dinner, and it goes down nicely without problems...praying hard for that.

 
At 6:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are mighty good prayers, people. All I can say is I agree in the Name of Jesus.

And thank you Lord for blessing all three of "our" kids. You are so, so good.

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger kingfamily said...

Yeah Ahsley! So excited for the good news Trish! Praying the food goes well! God is good!
Brandi in PA

 
At 7:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE THE LORD! I am so glad you had such a blessed day. As I read your post I had a huge smile along with tears knowing that you have waited so long for the day when she could "eat". I pray that her bowel works the way it is supposed to and there are no complications. You are on your way to being home for Christmas! God's timing is perfect - Ashley is feeling better just in time to see her daddy and big brother and sister!! I am so glad Ashley is feeling better and can show you her true character and spunk. Praying that each day shows more and more improvement.
Beth

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

This is SO good to hear!! Praying for that little bowel to do it's job and do it well.
d:)

 
At 7:52 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

Fantastic news! I just know she can do this. She has to be the most precious, beautiful little girl in the world. You are truly blessed.

 
At 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been away for a few days and was anxious to get back and check and Ashley. What wonderful news! I pray the feeding was a sucess and you are well on your way back home to your family.
-Cari in Arkansas

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Trish, This is such great news and I
pray the feeding went well last night. How wonderful for you to see her personality returning back to the Ashley you know so well. It has been a long road for you all, but so worth every minute to get to here. Have a terrific day and feel the joy!
Continuing to pray for healing so you can go home!!
Laurie in Ca. (On Fire)

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

You go little Ashley, my cool little dudette!!! You so ROCK!!
Michelle

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! I'm so excited for all your good news, Trish! God will see you through the new feeds as surely has He has been there holding your hand this last 5 weeks. I'm so thankful for the encouragement you've had today.

Congrats to the Tarheels!

And...of course, it ROCKIES. :) Even though I'm a Washintonian now, I was raised in CO, and remember the birth of the franchise. Go Rockies!

 
At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news that Ashley is feeling so much better!! I pray that her bowel tolerates her feedings without any complications. Praise our mighty God!
Praying here in TX,
Kathleen

 
At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful that Ashley had a good day yesterday. I know that makes your days easier and more peaceful. Praying hard for her feeds and for her bowel to tolerate them. Praying for safe travels for Dave and the kids. I can't wait for y'all to be together. I pray that Ashley will continue to feel good during their visit.

I pray that today is another "Happy Day".

Love, Jule White

 
At 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, Ashley, go!! So excited for the great news!
Megan

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Trish ~ we've been on Neocate for about 2yrs now and it is truly the best we've used for a sensitive "gut". I pray that it is as good for Ash. So excited to hear about her personality shining thru. We'll be praying!

 
At 10:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best news! I just know that you both will be home soon working on getting that pickle walking! God is so great!

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

Praying it all went well last night. What progress she is making! Glad to hear it was such a great day yesterday! (And way to go Alli and Blake on your games this weekend!)

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Hooray! I'm coming here in the morning, so I'm hoping your night with her first feeds went well. Many prayers for sweet Ashley today, and many thanks that she showed up in full force for you yesterday!

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Bethel said...

This is precious news indeed! Praying that it will work out beautifully. God is good!

 
At 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying that her bowel tolerates the feed so you guys can stay on the road home!! The Good Lord has answered so many prayers and I know he will keep on answering. She has come such a long way since she has been in the hospital, and I will continue to pray for her healing, for you, and for your family. Have a great day!! THANKS TO OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN!!!!

Love and Prayers,
Amanda

 
At 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying that you all are having another good day. What wonderful news that she was feeling so much better yesterday. God is good!

Lori

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

How cool is this? I just went back and re-read the posts that I have missed and am SOOOOOOOO excited to read this one! Praise be to God! Sunshine

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Paulette said...

Hey Trish,
I am sorry I have been away from writing comments for the past week. I had heart surgery 2 weeks ago and it has taken a bit to recupe. It has not deterred my visiting and reading and praying however. I rejoice over Ashley everyday and find God always in control.
I am so thankful that Gods healing hands continue to sustain Ashley and I continue to pray for her bowel and that she can tolerate food.
I also pray that you will both soon be on your way home before Thanksgiving.
God is awesome and you are as well Trish.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

Praying that the food works its way safely through her system. Go Ashley!

 
At 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy! I am praying her bowel absorbs the food just like it use too. I am glad you had a great day! Love the picture from the post before this one. It is so cute!

Still praying!

Hugs,

Shari

 
At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so good to hear such great news! Wow! We will be praying for her safety through all of this-and no setbacks.
It is so thrilling to hear that her personality is back! I know that thrills your heart, and makes your days soo much better. Praying that little personality stays.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Yay God!! I have chills all over. Praying for everything from this point on to just get better and better!
Love,
holly

 
At 7:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying and thanking the Lord! (((hugs))) ~Chan~

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home