Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/19/2007

Brief Moments


Tonight I am thankful for the brief moments of play, rest, and friendship the Lord gave to us today. It has been a tough, tough day for Ashley Kate. She has been so uncomfortable for most of the day and night. Nothing I have done helps to ease her discomfort. I really think that once the chest tube is removed she will feel much, much better. Hopefully that will take place tomorrow. Even now she struggles to rest.

As I said earlier I am concentrating on the good things that happened for us today. We did play for a brief moment or two(not lasting for more than ten minutes or so). We did rest for a brief time this afternoon. The only sleep she has had since 5 this morning. She has wrestled with her drain all day long not allowing herself to sleep. We did have visits from friends today. That was such a blessing. In those brief moments we laugh and try to forget the heaviness of the day. What gifts of friendship the Lord has given to us here in Omaha.

We are both so tired from today. I was constantly trying to make Ash more comfortable. We would rock for brief moments, walk for brief moments, sit for brief moments, and then lay down for brief moments. I describe them as brief because none of them lasted. She just aches and I am left helpless.

We spoke with Dave and the kids briefly tonight. Blake was going to bed because he has a baseball tournament tomorrow in Lufkin and Allie has a soccer tournament tomorrow in Longview. Dave was already asleep when I called as well. He is so tired from all the running he does with the kids after work. Tonight they made dad's famous pumpkin seeds and I know they enjoyed that. They absolutely love this time of year because of all the special treats that come along with the season. Last night Nan made them frito chili pies after ball practice and they enjoyed that as well. I can't wait for Ash and I to return home so we can be a part of all that is going on.

Speaking of brief moments, we are still praying that our time here will be be brief. It has been four weeks now and I know we will be here a minimum of two more. We still keep count of the weeks until Christmas hoping in our hearts to be back home in time to celebrate. We have held on to that same hope for the past two years and did not make it, but perhaps this will be the year that we do.

It sounds as though Ashley Kate has drifted off to sleep and I think I should try to as well knowing that our time for it will more than likely be brief. In the midst of all the discomfort today we were blessed by sweet moments that will last in our memories forever. A few grins, some cuddle time in the chair, laughter with good friends, and another day together. Overall I would have to say that God has been good to us on this day. Good night my friends. Trish

16 Comments:

At 11:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying for sleep and rest, hope you have a good night.
Beth

 
At 11:50 PM , Blogger The Rutland Family said...

Still praying! Hope you both sleep through the night.
Because He lives we CAN face tomorrow.
Pam

 
At 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had at least some brief moments of play and I pray you will both get some sleep tonight. I miss seeing you both but I carry you in my heart and prayers. Lou Ann

 
At 12:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am thankful for any time you and Ashley can spend together just being together and hanging out. But I hate it when she is just having so much discomfort.

Thank you all your posts that have included pictures and videos. Wow, that is just great and I join my heart with many others when I tell you that we are always here throughout all the beautiful moments and days, but we are also here for all the times spent in the valley of despair.
Ashley has become so very special to us and our hearts hurt as we anxiously wait for a word that lets us know what the doctors have said is the source of her problem so we pray, we cry, we pray, we wait, we cry and keep on waiting and praying. When the words came "no rejection" we thanked HIM for being so gracious, we cried, we praised Him and we cried because our hearts were filled with such joy.

So here's praying for a much better tomorrow but also thanking Him for each precious day .
Much love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 1:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever see pumpkin seeds the same again. They are now a reminder to pray for those who need it.
blessings,
~Toni~

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

Praying you both got some rest last night. And that they will remove that tube today. Just think what she could accomplish if she didn't have to spend so much energy being uncomfortable with it! :) I'll be gone tonight and part of tomorrow, but will be praying for y'all while I'm gone. Looking for good reports when I check back in! :)

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Praying that you are still asleep as I write this. And praying for a good day today.
d

 
At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying today for the chest tube to be able to be removed. Also, for you both to be able to go home for Christmas. Love in Ohio, COlleen

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying. Hope you both got some rest! It's the little things that we need to be thankful for. I pray today will be more comfortable for her.

 
At 8:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for sleepy nights, smiley days, and healthy inside and outs! Dreams indeed come true, when you realize the blessings you've received every day.
You will be in my prayers as we travel on trip #2 (of 3) to bring our daughter home from Russia.
Fondly,
Heidi in CT

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

I am just checking in on you girls this morning, hoping and praying you were able to get some good rest over night. Ashley has taught me to look at the every day miracles in her ups and downs. That she is here fighting each moment is a miracle, her breathing without assistance is a miracle, no bowel rejection and continued healing also a miracle. And the joy she will feel to see the family next week,Wow, that is going to make her smile for sure. This little girl deserves some BIG JOY and HAPPINESS for her big spirit. And you do too Trish, and my prayers continue for all good things to come. I hope the chest tube can come out today too. Jesus loves you so much. Me too.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~ I really enjoyed our "girl talk" time yesterday. As always, the laughs, tears, and things we share are priceless memories. I am praying that today is the BIG day to get the tube out, and you move back downstairs. I pray that you both had a good night sleep, and that the count down has begun for her to be at a safe place, and able to manage everything else at home. I also pray for favor in the eyes and hearts of the doctors as you talk to them about your wishes. Love ya girlfriend!!!

Julie

 
At 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for Ash and that she soon finds comfort. So happy for the brief moments of play today. . .(((hugs))) ~Chan~

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Our daughter, Morgan, had 3 chest tubes at one point and at least one was replaced almost daily for getting plugged. They were extremely uncomfortable... but once they were removed, her smile returned. So I am praying for a time when it may be removed from Ash to be soon. I am sure it will help her to be comforted. Praying also for your time and testimony there and for a quick and lasting return home with Ash. Love and hugs from Longview!

 
At 12:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog by accident, or I now believe through the will of God. I am praying for all of you. How hard it must be for you. I can not imagine. I know our God is most powerful and that you are in His hands. Keep your faith and thank Him for the smallest of milestones.
Tampa, FL

 
At 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray for rest, comfort, peace, and that her tube can come out soon. I am glad she had some times of comfort, play and other things today.

Still praying and loving from afar.

Shari

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home