Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/20/2007

Moving Slow

Rounds are now complete and if you haven't noticed by now things tend to move slow around here on the weekends.

Here is the news. We still have our chest tube. Ash needs to have less than 30cc out in a 24hour period. The last 24 hours she had 80cc out. So the good and the bad of this situation? The good is that her doctors are very cautious and are not removing it too early causing them to have to turn around and put it back in. I am thankful for that. The bad? She hurts and is uncomfortable because of it. We are also stuck in the PICU until it is removed just in case it were to pull loose and allow air to rush into the space.

The resolution of Ashley's bowel is also moving slow. Until it resolves we are not going to begin any feeds. It shows that it is happening so that is encouraging, it is just happening slowly. Hopefully by the end of the week we will be able to "test" her bowel with a little amount of feeds. We won't know how it functions until we can feed it.

The surgeon on service this weekend is not supportive of us going home before she achieves full feedings. If they all feel that way then Ash and I could be here a very long time. I think I am switching my prayers to include achieving that full feed status sooner rather than later. This will be our key to getting home.

Allison's soccer tournament is going well. They won their first game 7-0. They won their second game 5-0. They will play the third game tonight at 5:00. The Tarheels will begin their first game of the weekend at 4:45 this afternoon. Blake is traveling with friends of ours and Dave will join them tomorrow evening if the guys are still in it.

Ash is very tired today. She had a restless night and actually slept in until 2:00. She is already trying to go back down for another nap. I am hoping to keep her awake by reading some books together in the rocking chair as we listen to "Anne". I don't want her days and nights to switch around on us.

So once again we proceed slowly. In some ways I feel as though we have been thrown back into those post transplant days. In other ways I can see how much bigger and stronger Ash is this year and it keeps me encouraged and looking for that quick turn around that will lead us home. Only 4 more days until Dave and the kids arrive, and we can't wait!

Thanks for remembering us in your prayers. I hope you all have a great weekend. Ash and I are going to snuggle up in the chair and start our Anne of Green Gables marathon. Take care my friends. Trish

14 Comments:

At 3:42 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Wish I could join you...how lovely to spend an afternoon that way together.

Praying for the requests you asked and praying for you, Ashley and your family today.
Love in Him,
holly

PS Will you lift up a little neighbor of ours named Ezra today? I posted his webpage on my blog, if you'd like to stop by and leave a word to this family. He had a hard night.

 
At 3:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a nice, snuggly day. seems like i remember early on when ashley was struggling to maintain 12 lbs! she looks so much better; praying for sooner than later but as God ordains it. love, jan431

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

I love Anne of Green Gables! Would join you and sit in on the marathon if I were closer!

Just a note, we have some friends going through their first domestic adoption and you can visit their blog here:

http://adoptingaugust.wordpress.com/

recently they have had some not so nice comments regarding adoption and I would like to ask for a quick prayer for them as they journey through what God has called them to do. They have amazing hearts for God and it is so frustrating to hear the negative (and to read it even directed towards someone you love...) thank you!

You guys, as always, are in my prayers! We love you!
Tamara & Crew

 
At 6:19 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Praying for your quick turn around to happen and that your spirits are kept high by anticipating the family visit next week. It should be so refreshing for you all to be together and I am excited for Ashley. Hope you have a wonderful and restful night.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger Sheila Lackey said...

Trish,
I check on Ashley several times during the day, but I don't always comment. That does not mean that I am not thinking about you two and praying for you!
I am moved by the prayer support that Ashley has, and am honored to be part of this time in her life.
Be encouraged today knowing that your life is touching others!

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

I'm sorry things seem to drag on so slowly for you and Ashley, Trish. You are doing such a wonderful job, just being there with her through this. You've given Ashley lessons on resiliency and blooming where she is planted. I love that you don't keep her in hospital clothing and bedding. She deserves more than that. I know you have been blessed by your Pickle, but God has surely blessed her with you, Dave, Allie, and Blake, as well. I will pray that she keeps her nights and days in the right spot.

(((hugs)))

 
At 7:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying today

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Those slow days are tough, aren't they? But I know you're cheered by the thought of the rest of your family joining you soon! I can hardly wait, myself, to hear about that upcoming reunion!

I'll be praying, as always, for quicker-than-quick healing of Ashley's bowel and for that bothersome chest tube to be removed very soon! I hope you all have a restful night tonight and a restful -- but not TOO boring -- day tomorrow.

 
At 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Trish,

I've returned from my trip, and see your family gets to visit - yay!

Do they already know where they are staying? If for some reason the Lied is cost prohibitive, we often use Priceline and get very nice rooms in Omaha... usually the Crown Plaza for around $40. Downtown hotels like the Doubletree can be obtained for similar prices. If you need any info about this, just mention it in a blog post and I can give you more in-depth information.

We may be in Omaha on Friday (kids are out of school) and if there is anything you need, I'd be glad to help out. I assume you'll be in good shape since you'll have just had your family there, but if not... just say the word!

Brenda

 
At 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your Anne marathon and are now preparing for a good night's rest. Praying for you tonight that Ashley is able to rest well and wake up tomorrow to a brand new day and no chest tube!

 
At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you all today! I know you are very excited about your family coming to visit next week.

Give that precious Ashley a hug from us. I pray that you all get some rest tonight.

In Him,
Lori

 
At 9:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for a good night, and for Ashley to tolerate her feeds quickly.
Beth

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Being in the hospital is not a fun thing, but moving "slow" is probably a good thing. Things have more time to heal and she can get a little stronger each day. Our prayers for you are to be home by Christmas. Hope you get some rest tonight.

 
At 9:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~ Just checking in for the first time this weekend. Will be praying for your specific requests and praying for those baby steps.

I hope you both are able to rest tonight and that Ashley is able to have that pesky drian removed tomorrow. The starting and stopping of feeds was so frustrating for us. Having NEC twice, we did that a lot! When Kate was first born I honestly didn't know how little a "cc" was. As the days progressed, I can remember praying specifically for 10cc's then 15cc's, etc. Ashley is a precious mircale and she will get there.

Take care and will be praying for safe travels next week. Love to you all.

Jule White

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home