Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/17/2008

You've got to be Tough

Working with Ash isn't all fun and games as our new speech therapist found out today. Ashley Kate cried the WHOLE time and was completely unreasonable. I'm not sure that our therapist was prepared for what she got. On Tuesday when she came to do the evaluation Ash was so sweet. A little nervous, but sweet, sweet, sweet. She allowed the therapist to sit with her on her pallet and play with her toys. Today...she wasn't having it. I was almost embarrassed by her behaviour, but then again Ash has a right to be a little less trusting of strangers than most children. I guess our new therapist is going to try and tough it out because we scheduled two more session for next week.

Ash also needs some occupational therapy, so it looks like we will be meeting with another new therapist next week as well. Eventually I hope to wear Ashley down and have her accept that people are always going to be around. I am hoping that in addition to developing some of those missing milestones that Ash might eventually begin to trust a few people in the process.

To be completely honest Ash has never really had an opportunity to receive consistent therapy because of illness. Our PT, Mrs. Sue has always been with us. Even before transplant when Ash was tiny and weak and literally dying because of her diseased liver, but therapy was only possible every once in a while when she was feeling up to it. This will be our first time to bring in speech and occupational therapy along with her physical therapy. We are going to give it an honest shot, but if things don't improve and she remains hysterical then Dave and I will just continue to work with Ash along with Mrs. Sue. Our hopes for Ash are that we will eventually be able to have our speech therapist begin feeding therapy with Ashley. That is our main reason for bringing in the new therapist. We desperately want Ash to learn to eat by mouth so that some day we might be able to rid her of the feeding pumps and mickey buttons. What a blessing that would be.

As things stand now we have some type of therapy scheduled every day of the week. Some days we will have two different types in the same day. Surely Ash will adjust to these women and surely she will not scream every time they approach once she learns they aren't going to cause her any pain.

So my prayer is that our therapist will learn to be just as tough as Ash is and that they will grow to love her as much as I know Mrs. Sue does(even though Ash is her worst patient EVER!). Ash is just too cute not fall in love with , don't you think?

Anyway, it was a rough one and we ran her daddy out of the house for a second day in a row. This man isn't even close to be as tough as that little pickle. He just wants to scoop her up and make her smile, but he knows the struggle will some day be worth it. He just can't watch it.

Hope you all had a good day. Goodnight and God bless. Trish

12 Comments:

At 9:45 PM , Blogger Connie said...

We'll be praying for those who are working with Ashley. And you are so right when you said that Ashley has a right to distrust people. They poke her and do other unspeakable things to her! I bet she'll learn to love these ladies. We'll pray that way. :)

 
At 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She needs one more therapist. She needs a manicurist! :)
I don't have any girls to share my nail polish maybe I could share with Ashley kate!
I'll be praying for her to adjust and love the people helping her.
Molly

 
At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

she has earned a mani! :) Praying for Ashley & the helpers & double for dad! & of course the whole family too! A strong pickle raised by a stronger family leaning on the strongest one of all!!

 
At 10:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I just LOVE little Ashley myself!! I agree Trish, she is adorable and very lovable! I wish I could give her a huge hug & kiss her sweet little cheeks that look so soft!! lol
I will be praying for her...I would almost bet part of this is her age...I can't help but remember my daughter, who is now 20, at age 2!! She was quite similar in some ways. Her favorite thing was to throw a fit when she didn't get her way....good thing that didn't stick with her. lol...well maybe it did to some extent!
I will be praying for Ashley to allow the therapist to do their jobs. I pray that it's only a matter of her getting used to them being there. I pray for her continued health & progress! I am also saying a prayer for Dave...so that he might be able to handle "watching" Ashley...lol. I do understand how he feels about that though. There were things I couldn't "watch" either.
May God Bless you all!!
~Okla

 
At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for Ashley, her parents and her therapists.

 
At 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so great to see that she has moved to this stage in her sweet, precious, life. I pray that she adjust and learns to trust these therapist that will help her to learn new things. I'm so relieved that you all are home, and I know that must feel so good and warm and comfortable.

Still praying for you all,
amanda in myrtle beach, sc

 
At 8:23 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

I am praying for Ashley to learn to trust people who are there to help her and praying for those people to see what we see in her, the rough road this little warrior has been on.
You may need to get an extra therapist for Dave if he doesn't get used to this:) It just blesses my heart to know that she is home with all of you on her turf, as she continues to try and call all the shots.:) God still is in control of this little princess and He will help her trust. And Daddy Dave too.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 3:54 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Oh, Ashley...your daddy is sooo wrapped around your little finger. And you are wrapped around his heart. Hang in there, Trish. You are fighting the good fight and giving your Pickle every thing she needs. Maybe mom and dad can go on a date to just chill a bit. I know it's gotta be hard to watch. You're such good parents. Blessings.

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

Praying that soon that determination will work for her. Praying for her to learn to love and trust her therapists soon. Praying for patience for them and for her poor daddy to be strong.
Hugs to sweet Ashley
Rachel in PA

 
At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

More power to you Mom! You're doing the right thing and you know it! Way to go, and keep up the good work. We've fallen in love with Ashley just by reading her story... the therapist will certainly do the same!
Heidi in CT

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

I will be praying - for the therapists, for you, for Dave and for Ashley - that trust will come - bless that sweet baby's heart and her fighting spirit. I have a hunch the closer she gets to three the more she will start exerting her fighting spirit - at least that is two out of my three have been (the littlest one isn't three yet - but at one I see glimpses :) ) and they haven't even been through what your Ash has! I will also be praying for you and Dave - how hard it is to travel this path - but WHAT rewards you will both reap at the end of the journey! Prayers and hugs - Sunshine

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I hope Ashley gets used to the therapists. I will be praying for patience and speed during these times.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home