Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/02/2009

He's 14!

Just shortly after 6am this October morning my son turned 14 years old. Wow! I find it so unbelievable that we have already spent 14 of his 18 years in our home together. It was just yesterday that he arrived in our hearts and yet today he's made plans with friends to attend the homecoming game and then go grab some dinner. Did you notice I said "plans with friends" and not plans with his family. If nothing else an evening like that makes me realize he's no longer little, but instead has grown up right in front of our eyes.

I look at Blake and I can't help but smile. I listen to him talk and I smile. I hang out with him and his friends(on occasion, you know like when they need a ride here or there or when their standing around my kitchen waiting for dinner to be ready) and I smile. He just makes me smile. I love him so much and even more than that I like him just as much. He's just a great guy.

So this evening while he hangs with his friends, his mom and dad will be at home getting things in order and finishing all the last minute details as we prepare for his party tomorrow night. Not a huge party, just a group of his closest friends coming over for a cook out(steak and shrimp) and a night of music and movies out on the lawn(I've rented a popcorn machine, filled the fridge in the tiki bar with drinks, and bought about every kind of movie candy you can think of), flag football, maybe a dunk or two in the chilly pool water, and then around midnight the girls will go home and the guys will pull out the PS3 and play on the big screen out back until the wee morning hours. Its a little different this year, no balloons, no cake, no silly games, just a bunch of teens hanging out and having fun doing what teenagers do and a mom and dad who will sit back in the shadows sneaking in a few pictures and remembering how blessed we are to be his parents.

Blake, we love you more than words can describe. We are so proud of the person you have become, and we look forward to seeing what God does in your life over this next year. Thanks for being such a great kid and for making parenting you a joy. You truly have made it easier than I think it was supposed to be. I love you, your dad loves you, your sisters love you and we all wish you a very Happy Birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home