Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/13/2007

Our great Day


How could you have a bad day when you get to hold this? It just isn't possible! Dave and I have enjoyed spending the last few days parenting this little pickle in our apartment together and I have enjoyed watching the two of them play. One thing I know for sure is that Ashley loves her daddy! No one can make her smile the way that he can. I can see him tear up every time he thinks about having to leave her tomorrow. I have eavesdropped on a conversation or two when he was asking her just how he was supposed to go home without her. How I wish we could go with him. I am afraid our little apartment will seem far to quiet and way to empty without his playfulness running around it. I can't wait for him to come back to visit, and I really can't wait to get Ashley to a safe enough place in her chemo to where Blake and Allie can come too. We are really missing those two.

Outside of a little nausea and having to go pick up a $200 prescription for Ash we have had a really great day. She looks really good today and seems to be coping pretty well with last nights treatment. Her white count should begin to drop by Thursday and then she will start feeling pretty weak. We have had a couple of conversations with our hematology and oncology departments about all that took place yesterday. We also had part of conversation with our transplant coordinator and shared with her that we really didn't want to finish chemo in the treatment center because we did not feel like things had gone very smoothly there. She said to me, "Just where do you think you are going to have it done then? We are not anywhere ready to let you go home." With that statement my heart began to sink for a minute or two and then I decided I was just going to have to pray about all of this. More than anything I just want Ash to live. I need to know that she is safe and that she is getting the best possible care. I just didn't get that feeling yesterday so something is going to have to change, but I am not sure what to do about it. I have until Monday morning to figure out a solution. Please join us in prayer as we seek for an answer.

Dave and I are fixing to enjoy a nice evening of PF Chang's take out and a movie right here on our couch in the apartment along with our little one. I can't think of a better way to end the day then sitting next to my best friend while holding our baby until she falls asleep. What a great day we have had.

On a couple of personal notes I would like to say thank you to the anonymous sender of the beautiful book the North Star. It was a wonderful gift and we read it and LOVED it. I also want to say thank you to little Abraham for the package you sent to baby Ashley. She loves the bouncy balls! Thanks to Ash's aunt Kathy and aunt Toni for her personalized hair bows. They look great, and thanks to our friend Robin for all the goodies for our apartment. I so appreciate it. Last but not least, thank you to my nephew Jerid for the cases of diet coke. You know how much I love that.

I am going to sign off for tonight and go enjoy our anniversary chinese take out and my last few hours with the amazing guy I get to call my husband. He leaves at 4:00 in the morning to fly home in time to work at the office. Thanks guys for checking on our little one. It means so very much to me to know how much you care. Love you, Trish

15 Comments:

At 9:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture. She is just beautiful. Thanks for the update. We will continue to pray for all of you and about the chemo situation.

Enjoy your evening and a very Happy Anniversary to you guys.

God bless,
Lori

 
At 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sweet girl.....she is so beautiful. I just LOVE this smile ....this is such a good picture. (= This is a topper of Ash pic's.....she just looks SO good. That is all GOD...with the chemo & everything she has endured.....I stand in awe of HIM. Happy Anniversary to two of the sweetest people. Praying for a wonderful evening together...& safe travel for Dave tomorrow. Also, for a solution to the chemo. Isn't there any other place in this big hospital that is more kid friendly that they Can administer it? I don't know. Just will join you in prayer for a solution. Oh...I wish there was a place closer. What about MD Anderson....? They are the Cancer Guru's ...#1 in the nation. There is a pediatric hospital in Houston...(Texas children's) it is only a four hour drive from Longview. Dunno. I know with her being a triple transplant ....it is complicated. I am just going to stop suggesting...questioning....& just pray for GOD's will & HIS hand to direct her care. (= Night...night. Hugs... -Suz

 
At 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could anyone look at that picture and not get a big SMILE? I love it! Thanks so much for posting it. I am so happy you are all three together tonight. I am praying you all can go home soon.

 
At 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! PF Chang's rocks:) I don't know if you saw this comment before but please check with your hospital's Ombudsman. I cannot emphasize that enough!! All the people who care for your daughter are accountable to them. They have an office somewhere in that hospital. I have had some really bad experiences and my RN friend suggested this. The Doctor's do not want a visit ( or whomever) from the Ombudsman's office.....You also may check with social service worker to see about a case manager but they will not have the accountability factor that the Ombudsman has over the staff....Love all the pics & my heart hurts for you to see your dh leave. Colleen

 
At 10:49 PM , Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Thank you for sharing this picture of Ashley! She's so cute. :)

I will continue to keep her in my prayers!

 
At 10:49 PM , Blogger Paulette said...

What a precious picture of Ashley, so sweet. Just coming by before turning in for the night.
Father, give Trish, Dave and especially Ashley the peace they need tonight to get some well needed rest. I pray Father for wisdom this family needs to make decisions that are imparative to Ashleys health. Show them clearly Father a plan and then a peace. I am so grateful that this family depends on your guidance and strength through theses hard days. Restore Ashley to full health Father so they can return home with there two other precious children who need there mommy as well. Thankyou for Dave who keeps his other children in tact through this ordeal as well.
May they rest in your arms father.

 
At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious picture. And I loved the picture commentaries of Dave and Ash yesterday. Aren't you glad you two girls didn't have to go through that alone!
Hope you had a great anniversary. We were watching Dave's flight for y'all. With a few storms here in DFW things got delayed/canceled. The second flight from Omaha tomorrow got cancelled because the plane didn't leave here tonight. But as bad as 4 am will be, at least he is on that first flight that is actually going to go in the morning!
Praying for safety & health!
Marlain & Jeff

 
At 2:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

How will Dave ever wake up and make it to the airport on time without his (not-so) trusty human alarm clocks here in the PICU. Trish, hopefully you do a better job than we did. :)

 
At 5:01 AM , Blogger Carey said...

What a beautiful picture. I hope you enjoyed your take out. I pray Dave has a safe return home, and that you all will be together again sooner than later.

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger Jill said...

Have you asked if they would let you do the treatments at Children's here in Omaha where they are more use to kids? I know that UNMC and Children's work together sometimes and maybe they would be willing since it's in town.

 
At 5:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture! It was so good to hear that you three had a good day yesterday- and I wanted to wish you a belated Happy Aniversary! Dave, know that I am praying for you as you go back home, that God will give you the strength and grace to leave your dear wife and daughter and take over all the heavy responsibilities at home. Trish, my heart aches for you as you say goodbye to Dave and must continue to wait in the empty apartment (with a dear gherkin, of course) and cannot yet go home. Ashley, you are always in my prayers- keep smiling, dear one!
I pray God gives you all another wonderful today this day.

 
At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!

thanks for the wonderful pictures :)


good luck in seeking an answer for your ashley---she is just so precious

 
At 9:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know it may seem hard to think about what the doctor told you about not going home anytime soon, but i am just in awe of how far she has come in the past month or so. she looks so happy and healthy and beautiful. she has taken big steps towards home. she looks so healthy in the pictures it makes me wonder if the diagnosis was wrong about the cancer cells. i am praying...

 
At 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures of Ashley just make my heart melt. She is so cute and precious!

I will definitely be in prayer about the treatment situation.

Jesus, please give Dave and Trish the strength and wisdom to make the decisions they need to regarding Ashley. Please give them comfort during this time. Please give Ashley physical comfort and peace. Please calm her tummy from the nausea. Thank you Jesus for what you are doing in their lives. In Jesus Name, Amen.

I love you,

Shari

Eugene, Oregon

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger TheRagan3 said...

Abraham and I are so glad to be able to send Ashley a little something. You and your family are in my prayers, praying our Father will continue to care for you and your little gherkin!
Erinn and Abraham Ragan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home