Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/11/2007

Disaster Avoided?

Well I would like to tell you that I have this life of mine all together. I would like to tell you what a wonderful mommy I am. I would like to tell you that after 19 months I have figured out how to raise this pickle of mine and how to take care of all of her stuff, but that would be a big fat LIE! Last night we nearly had an all out disaster on our hands. If Dave had not been here with me then we would for sure have been re-admitted to the hospital, but thanks to his calm demeanor and level-headed thinking we avoided disaster (or at least part it).

As I laid my little Ashley down in the crib to change her and clean up her ostomy I turned to go into the bathroom to grab her disposal cup when something long and stretchy decided to follow me. Can you guess what it was? Let me describe it for you. It is very long, it stretches, it feeds my little one, it is(or was) connected to her, it goes in (went in) through a hole in her tummy, it went all the way through her stomach and down into her intestine, it had to be surgically placed not once, not twice, not three times, not four times, but you guessed it FIVE TIMES! Know what it is? That's right, before I realized it Ashley's tube feedings were coming along with me to the bath room but the baby was not. So out it popped, hitting me in the back of the head, and leaving a very leaky hole in my Ashley's abdomen. I told you I was afraid I wasn't qualified enough to be chosen as her mommy!

Immediately I began to panic, Ash began to cry, and my very qualified husband sprung into action. He trimmed off the J portion of her tube and re-inserted the G portion so that the opening would not begin to shut itself off. The whole time I am feeling like the worst parent in the world knowing that as soon as I call the transplant coordinator they are going to tell us we have to be re-admitted immediately. Anyway, only God knew how bad I was going to mess up last night and I am convinced He was making plans so that I would not be here alone with my baby when I did it. We were able to call the hospital and convince them that yes we were qualified to just place a G tube and that we could take care of her at the apartment this weekend without being admitted. They allowed us to run in and pick up a new tube and off we went back to our apartment without even having to take Ash inside the hospital. So now we are feeding Ash through a G tube only and so far so good. Dave is just looking out over his fields of daisies( that happens to be covered with rainbows) and telling me that this is Ashley's opportunity to prove herself to everyone. She is not vomiting, not gagging, and not struggling with being fed into her stomach(Thank you, God!). Now we just have to convince the team that we DO NOT NEED to take her back into surgery to have another one placed. If that does happen then I will never be able to forgive myself for causing her to endure it again.


Anyway I felt the need to confess just in case we do end up back in the OR on Tuesday to have our sixth G-J tube placed. I wouldn't want it to catch any of you by surprise. The good thing about my Ashley is that she is as tough as they come and as soon as we picked her up she was smiling about the whole disaster. I am so thankful she has such a forgiving spirit. Needless to say we ( or me especially) could still use your prayers. I am trying really hard to be a good mommy to this little pickle.

We are on our way to the park to take this little one for a walk in the nice spring air. Her daddy is hoping it will help her to stop her crying today. He just keeps telling me he isn't cut out to be a mom. I will post pictures of her later. Thanks for loving her and for checking in today. You are loved and appreciated. Take care. Trish

12 Comments:

At 2:02 PM , Blogger Edith said...

So thankful Dave was there to help you. I can't imagine what all you go through to care for her every day. Thanks for sharing and being open. Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

edith

 
At 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave & Trish ~ you two are both AMAZING parents!!!When God chose you HE knew you were qualified in every area. He hand picked you out of everyone else in the world, knowing exactly what was going to happen in Ashley's life and when. He has tremendous faith that you - His chosen ones - are the absolute best choice He could make to be Ashley's parents!!! Keep looking down at your little daisy(Ashley), and up at God (your rainbow) whose promises will never fail you!!!!

Grateful to be part of your lives,
Terry & Julie

Dave call me Tuesday to let me know what time to pick you up Wednesday morning. Terry

 
At 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! God knew exactly what was going to happen and placed Dave there at just the right time! You are so amazing and are just superb parents! The love of Jesus shines through you through every trial and tribulation placed before you. I appreciate you sharing reality! God knew that little Pickle would need parents like you.

Hang in there and God bless you today! Praying for Ashley's little body to be infection and rejection free!

My love to you,

Shari

Eugene, Oregon

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what amazing parents you are! how well you both take care of her. i am so inspired by you all. i will pray she can stay away from the OR this week. prayers and best wishes

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what amazing parents you are! how well you both take care of her. i am so inspired by you all. i will pray she can stay away from the OR this week. prayers and best wishes

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, PICU nurses have made bigger mistakes with your sweet girl than you did, and they are super qualified! Mistakes happen. If it makes you feel any better, I (accidentally, of course!) dislocated my two year old's elbow last weekend! And when I was feeling like a terrible mother, a friend told me how she fell down the stairs with her son when he was a baby and broke his leg! Accidents happen--no doubt about it, you are WAY more qualified than anybody I know to take care of your pickle!! And maybe Dave's right--this could be God-ordained to give Ashley a chance to show what she can do!

I'm praying there's no surgery ahead for y'all, but that either way, you forgive yourself!!!

Sending love from TX :)

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, PICU nurses have made bigger mistakes with your sweet girl than you did, and they are super qualified! Mistakes happen. If it makes you feel any better, I (accidentally, of course!) dislocated my two year old's elbow last weekend! And when I was feeling like a terrible mother, a friend told me how she fell down the stairs with her son when he was a baby and broke his leg! Accidents happen--no doubt about it, you are WAY more qualified than anybody I know to take care of your pickle!! And maybe Dave's right--this could be God-ordained to give Ashley a chance to show what she can do!

I'm praying there's no surgery ahead for y'all, but that either way, you forgive yourself!!!

Sending love from TX :)

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Connie Barris said...

Trish,
If it makes you feel any better.. I am a Registered Nurse.. BUT when it comes to my kids.. I completely lose all common sense and knowledge....my husband too is the cool one..
It's like Nursing School, what is that??
We are filled with all that love and mushy stuff so we don't have any room left over for all the technical medical stuff...
I save that for work....smile
My husband is forever questioning my abilities...(where did you go to school??)
Plus (LOL) we make your men feel all loved and wanted....
There you go Dave....
Isn't it great to have Dave there??!!
Glad you got it all worked out for Ash..

and You are the BEST mom... I can't imagine going through what you have been through...

Blessings,
Connie

 
At 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't spend another second thinking negetive thoughts about what happened; everything happens for a reason and it wasn't your fault, just something that happened. Maybe it's just time for Ash to be able to eat other ways; time will tell. I'm praying that she continues to tolerate her feeds without placement of another tube. Praying that the remainder of your time together is blessed beyond measure! Ash looks wonderful and BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for the picture! She's amazing! Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

WOW! So glad Dave was there! I would have freaked out!!! I love hearing the video of Dave and Ashley! That is so cute! You guys are amazing and a blessing...thank you!! Trish, Dave did a great job of keeping us updated and it was nice to "see" another member of the family, thank you for sharing yourselves!!!

 
At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will be bumps along the road, but as long as there is a road, we shall give thanks.

You are both wonderful parents and God (and your faithful readers) know it. Now we just have to convince you!

 
At 5:15 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Oh my! That must have been scary. Im so glad Dave was there with you. Im praying for you all. I hope you enjoyed the park.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home