Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/07/2007

a broken husher.....

Ashley woke up from her nap yesterday afternoon fussing. She has been crying and uncomfortable every since. Last night Trish began reading her one of our favorite bedtime story books, Goodnight Moon. She was hoping little Ash would get the hint. At the end of the book there is an old lady who is whispering hush. Trish said she was the old lady and after about 1000 hushes her husher finally broke.

We are seeing a pattern in the chemo 3 days of fussy baby, 3 days of sleepy baby and 1 day of happy throwing up baby. The doctors and nurses tell us that this in not what is supposed to happen, but they are not the ones raising Ash. She has always done things her own way. The bumblebee is not supposed to be able to fly, but he does.

I spoke to Trish earlier this morning and she was telling be about Ash being up all night and how tired she was from walking her around the apartment. I suggested that she try putting the Gherkin in her stroller and pushing her around. (You know me always looking for ways to take pressure off the spine) A few hours later my phone rang and when I said hello I heard "you are a genius." Now this is a good way to start a conversation. Whoever you are if you call me up and start by telling me I am a genius we are going to get along really well. Trish then told me that she pushed Ash around the apartment in her stroller and tricked her into falling asleep. That tiny (but getting bigger) pickle didn't even know she was being tricked. She is now sleeping soundly in the stroller and Trish has no intentions of trying to move her anywhere else.

Trish cooked some tortilla soup for herself and plans on sitting on the couch with a nice bowl of soup and taking a nap while Ash is asleep. For all who have babies and kids you know just as well as I do that this is a great plan but not really based in reality. If Trish thinks that Gherkin will still be asleep when Trish finally lays down the she must be living in the land of daisies and rainbows. Now I am the one in reality what a strange role reversal we are having.

Good Day,

DAVE

7 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger Carey said...

stroller thing is a great idea. I forget how big you said your daughter is, but can she still use one of those baby swings? They have great movement, and it may help put her to sleep.
Praying for a restful afternoon for both of them.

 
At 1:39 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Still praying for you all!

Kim

 
At 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even now we can see the Father work through little Ashley. And even when a "fussy" schedule exists...at least you're seeing a schedule.

My goodness how proud I am that Trish and Ash are in the apartment. Thank you Father!

kristi in texas

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Jill said...

If you need some new baby toys to keep Ashley entertained I have a basement full of them I'd love to loan you all for the apartment.
Maybe I'll run them by on Friday morning when I'm at the Gym around the corner from you all.
Praying that the chemo side effects can be minimal and that you can enjoy some carefree days in the apartment.
Call me if you need anything.
Jill from Omaha

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Aunt Boo said...

I am so excited that you have found such good friends close to you. Keep up the great progress and I am still praying.

Love,
Amanda D.
(Alabama)

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

So excited to be reading your recent posts! We have been out of town and haven't been able to check...WHOO HOO! Love the stroller idea, that works great! Also, if Ashley is DETERMINED to be held, one blog I read talks about slings being extremely better for the back! :) Just a thought...Sending prayers and hugs from Tennessee!!

 
At 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave you are SO funny. I love your humor. When your talking with Trish on the phone ....send her lots of love from us...I know she must be tired but so happy to be on her own....mommy & Ash. (= Oh...what a blessing!! Praying..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home