Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/12/2007

A Long day, A long Night


What we had planned to be a long day, has now proven to be a long night as well. All I can say is that chemotherapy is not any fun. Our sweet Ashley is having a very tough go of it. We finally started the second drug of Ash's chemo around 6:00p.m. She needed a total of 160mls. It should take approximately 6 hours to infuse. As of 10:00p.m. she has had 27 ml infused. At this rate we will surely be here in the treatment center all night. She is so irritable and nauseated. I have never seen her vomit such volumes! She has DRENCHED me. She has DRENCHED David. She has DRENCHED 3 sets of her own clothes and jammies so now she is wearing hospital p.j.s. Guess where I had to go to get them? The PICU. I appreciate them loaning them to me so my baby didn't have to stay naked. Dave is wearing a hospital gown that is opened in the back ( he does have pants on!), and I am wearing my mom's clothes that she ran down and unpacked from her suitcase. We are quite a sight! Our sweet Ashley Kate has not slept all day. She is so exhausted.

Despite all of this nonsense we are enjoying our time together. I wish we were spending the day at the park, the day at the apartment, or the day at home, but that is not the case so we are trying to enjoy ourselves anyways. We are here together. We have this beautiful baby that smiles and giggles between her struggles. We have been blessed. God has given us 19 months to love this amazing little gherkin and each day that He gives to us whether it be at home, in the PICU, at our apartment, or in this treatment center is a gift. She looks really good despite the cancer. She is growing, growing, growing! She weighed 21lbs this morning. I am amazed at how big she is getting. Guess what that means? Her new bowel is working. It is absorbing nutrition and she is making good use of it. Her little thighs are chunky, her arms have wrinkles around the elbows and the wrists, and her tummy is getting chubby. This is wonderful news to a family who has been praying for their baby to just be able to grow.

A long day, a long night, a long 19 months. A blessed day, a blessed night, a blessed 19 months.
How did we get so lucky? Thanks for praying for our baby. Good night and God bless. Trish

P.S. Our nurse just came in and figured out that she never even hooked the drug into Ashley's line. We have just sat and wasted another half our. Can you just imagine how irritated her daddy is? Just look at his face in the picture. He has now had it!

7 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger Cathy Fry said...

I haven't commented for quite sometime, but there has not been a day I have missed of your Ashley's journal. You all are such a blessing. What a frustrating day but you look at it with a beautiful outlook, God has blessed you with a little pickle to love, because he knew you were the family to choose for her. Keep on keepin on and know that I'm praying for you all.

 
At 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how frustrating...but you're right, how lucky, how blessed...

praying that the rest of your night goes by fast and that you continue to enjoy the time you have together. also praying for blake and allie--that they will be well cared for while their daddy (and their hero, i'm sure) is away :)

 
At 11:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be praying tonight for you all. I am so sorry that the day has went so yucky for your little luv! Colleen

 
At 12:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is horrible that this has gone on all day. Someone needs to get their act together at that hospital. I think I would be making some complaints to the top dogs there. That is ridiculous. I am praying that you can finally get some rest. I am sorry for all the trauma all of you are being put through. Bless all of your hearts. Praying for you continually. Love and prayers, Matt and Cindy Adams

 
At 2:23 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

How frustrating. Poor Ashley feeling so sick. You all are doing such a great job to make the most out of what must be an incredibly hard day. Good for you. I'm praying that the remainder of the infusion will finish at a faster rate than the first lot, and that Ashley feels a bit better. I hope you can all get some rest soon.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Paulette said...

I believe God hand picks special parents for these sick babies and I am grateful Ashley has you both. I know she will one day realize how special she is as well. God bless you all this night.

 
At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it has been such a disaster with the hurry up and wait & the mistakes & the unfriendly environment. I think when you have a sick child....you see what people are made of....you quickly discern the staff there for the JOB & there to HELP & make a difference. Praying for you guys....daily.....Lots of love in Christ from Longview... S.S.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home