Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/17/2007

Finding beauty in the midst of Chaos

This morning Ashley and I are in at the house waiting on another plumber to show up. They had no idea what time they would be here so we must spend the day at the house, but not inside of it. It is still not in a condition where Ash can enter. So we are finding things to do outside to occupy our time.

I looked around and the state of my flower beds caught my attention. If you were to drive by our house you would probably shake your head and wonder how and why they have become so negletected. You would see plenty of leaves left over from the fall, lots and lots of saw dust from the remodel, and weeds growing from every corner. In the middle of the gardens you find "Jedidiah" and "Goliath"(the two prized growing cabbages that somehow found themselves a home in a place I would not have chosen), but then as you approach our front porch you stumble across what inspired me. In the midst of all of the ugliness that has been left to develop over the past few months while I was away you discover what brought me great joy this morning. My favorite plants in my flower beds. There are five of them. All doing their best to grow up in the middle of this mess. My hostas have returned. Last spring they were planted among great beauty. Surrounded by flowers and other plants. Today they are surrounded by chaos,but their determination to bring beauty to this place made me smile.

As Ashley played in her pack n play I worked. She is having a great time. When she becomes tired of sitting she falls back and watches the birds. You can see her absorbing the sounds around her trying to figure out where they are coming from. I began to rake leaves, weed the beds, and prepare the soil. She continued to play, coo, and enjoy life. Some may wonder why I would bother preparing to plant in front of a house we don't even live in, but if you only knew what I knew. I can see something that those who drive by can not. I can see what the beds will become. I have been here before. I know that with a little bit of care it can and will be beautiful again. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. In a few days with a lot of hard work the ground will once again become ready for me to plant the flowers that will bring beauty to the chaos. How nice it will be for the plumbers and contractors and painters to walk up the path to the front door surrounded by flowers as opposed to weeds, leaves, and saw dust. Just the thought of it brings me joy. I know if I were coming to work here that it would make me happier.

So today as Ash plays in the sunshine and listens to the birds in the canopy of trees above I am preparing the soil in our gardens. Just as the Father continues preparing the soil of our hearts. He sees things in us that others may not. He sees what can and will become with a little bit of work. It may not always happen overnight, but it happens. He continues weeding the parts that don't belong and before you know it nothing but joy and beauty blooms from within us. It makes me laugh how He speaks to me through nature. I think I am becoming old. I sure do enjoying working in the dirt and talking to Him.

8 Comments:

At 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is from one who enjoys working in the dirt and now after reading your post this morning, I will enjoy it a little bit more. You are so right about beauty in the midst of the weeds and leaves, just waiting to burst forth at just the right time. I am so thankful that God has blessed us with all His great wonders of plants and nature. I have been listening to the mockingbirds and doves this morning, along with several other birds I don't readily identify. I love watching the robins with their beautiful red breasts as they search for worms and insects to feed their young. Oh, I could go on and on about all the beauty that surronds
us if we only take the time to observe it.

There were many times during the 20 years I worked at the church, when I would feel really stressed out and I would just announce to the Pastor that I needed to take a personal day off so that I could "play in the dirt" and he would know exactly what I was talking about. It has always been my "out" and I am glad for that.
And Trish, you do not have to be old to enjoy working in the dirt but even when you are finally old, you will strill enjoy it. I know.

I am glad that Ashley is enjoying herself being outdoors. Even a princess needs to be outdoors with a little breeze blowing softly in her hair.

I have to remember this is a place for comments not a book, but I just enjoy talking to you~~~~have a great afternoon "playing in the dirt."

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

I have often thought the same thing, but you were able to put it into words so beautifully. Thank you for your faithful posting. I check the site daily, often several times for updates. I continue to pray faithfully. God is faithful, and His grace is sufficient.

 
At 4:29 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

And you will have your flowers waiting for you when you finally get to move back home!

 
At 9:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish-I am glad you had the opportunity to have Ashley outside so she can enjoy the birds and new smells. And you get a chance to work in the dirt. It's always been a "therapy" for me to work in the dirt and actually get dirty while doing it. God is truly amazing what He can produce out of a little brown dirt!

Love to you,

Shari

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You my friend inspire me to live a more faithful, beautiful life. Thank you - thank you for being you and being such an open and honest - lovely person! I feel like we are old friends and look forward to reading each night before bed! Thank you - Sunshine

 
At 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad Ashley and her mom got to be outside in springs abundant beauty!! I was so excited for Ashley to be clapping her hands. Little by little I am praying that she will call for you again. Blessing and prayers tonight in Ohio. Colleen

 
At 10:17 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I love hostas! My parents live in woodsy Pennsylvania, and their backyard is FULL of them. I planted several just the other day, to remind me of them. I bet your flowerbeds are going to be gorgeous! And besides, the work will be worth it--you'll be back there soon to enjoy them everyday for yourself.

Have fun playing in the dirt :)

 
At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It brought a smile to my face hearing about your garden. It reminded me of when you and Ash were here in Nebraska and you told us all about your spring, summer, and fall flowers. I am happy that things are going well for all of you in Texas. Jaka

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home