Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

9/05/2007

Full Circle

Life has a funny way of going in circles for me. Things that I was a part of years ago show up in my life at just the right time. Friends I once knew have played important roles in Ashley's adoption. Former clients of mine or patients of Dave's are brought back into our lives and they use their skills to minister to our daughter. God is showing me that nothing, no acquaintance or meeting, was accidental, but that each moment in my life He has orchestrated to serve a purpose. He had a plan in place for our family years ago and He continued working to bring us to the place that we are in. Again today I smiled as I learned of another full circle moment that will take place in our lives on Friday.

Years ago Dave and I were members of the Longview Too Ambucs group. The purpose of this group of volunteers is to raise money to help bring mobility to children with disabilities. We served as volunteers in this group because we believed they were making a difference in our community. During those years we met some of the most incredible people. People who have dedicated much of their lives to serving others. People with HUGE hearts who work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of others. People who unknown to us would come back into our lives to help give mobility to one of our children, our sweet Ashley Kate. At the time we may not have known that our future would include a disabled child, but the Father did know. He was orchestrating the relationships that would change our Ashely's future.

On Friday Ashley will use an Amtryke during her therapy session. The Amtryke was designed to give mobility to children who otherwise do not have it. It is our belief, along with our therapist, that the key to "waking" Ashley up and getting her to become mobile is continuous motion. We had hoped to have the opportunity to use the horses movements to aid in this goal, but since thats not possible just yet we will find other ways. The Amtryke will allow us to move Ashley's legs in a continuous motion. The most amazing thing about this opportunity to us is that we have seen what a difference this tool can make first hand. Dave had the privilege of delivering an Amtryke to a family and it was life changing. I will never forget what an impact that visit made on him. As we talked about his experience I remember being so thankful that our children were strong and healthy. Amazing. I remember being thankful that night that Blake and Allie could walk and talk and run and play. I remember these things so well. Tonight as I anticipate the arrival of our Ashley's Amtryke I am thankful. I am thankful for this child God has given to us. I am thankful for her life. I am thankful for her physical therapist who comes each week and works so very hard with our Ashley. I am thankful for the friendship and the relationship God established between us and her therapist years ago. Only the Father knew she would one day change the life of one of our own children. I am thankful for the Longview Too Ambucs group. For each member who works so hard to change the lives of children like our sweet Ashley Kate. I am thankful to know them and to be loved by them. I am thankful they see the value in the Amtryke and that they work so hard to provide them.

Full circle. This part of our life will come full circle on Friday afternoon. I am sure our Ashley will resist and put up a fight. She always does. Thats exactly how the Father designed her. Tough and stubborn and strong. She wouldn't still be with us if she wasn't this way. Just as I am sure Ash will resist this new idea, I am just as sure that Mrs. Sue will fight right back. She loves her too much not to and for this I am thankful. Sue, I appreciate you. Who you are and all that you do. Not only for my daughter and for my family, but for each family whose life you have touched. Not only for the hours and hours you dedicate to her physical therapy, but for the hours, the days, the years of service you have dedicated to making the Amtrykes for children and for you service in Ambucs. You are loved. May God Bless you!

3 Comments:

At 11:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure our Ashley will resist and put up a fight. She always does. Thats exactly how the Father designed her. Tough and stubborn and strong. She wouldn't still be with us if she wasn't this way.

Wow. I like your perspective.

 
At 12:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You reap what you sow! You sowed into the lives of others and now it is your time to reap. I am involved with Joni & Friends -Joni Erickson Tada was paralyzed at 19 and has started a major ministry helping family touched by disibility. I have posted about her family retreats that our church does in my August Archives. You should check out her website at joniandfriends.org.

I hope this new therapy works! I am praying.

Natalie
natalieperry.blogspot.com

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

Great post! And a great reminder not to take even the most casual relationship for granted. Each person is placed in our life for a reason.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home