Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/25/2008

There tiny...

... and warm. They just reached out to touch me. I can feel her fingers. So fragile and small, but yet they have a way of letting me know how much she loves me, trusts me, and needs me. Its late. Very, very late for such a tiny pickle. Most pickles are sleeping at this hour, but mine...she has different plans for us tonight. In the dark her little hands find my face. She wants to play. I can't see the smile on her face, but I knows its there. I can feel it by the way she is reaching out for me. Her daddy has fallen asleep long before now. She gave up on him. His snoring makes her giggle with glee. She claps when he turns over. She thinks he is going to play, but I know better. He's not going to give in to her tonight. Its just us girls. Up for the night.

I love her hands. I love the way they show us what her little heart is feeling. When she is happy, she uses them to clap. When she is inquisitive, she uses them to figure things out. New toys, new books, new games. When she is sleepy, she uses them to rub those amazing eyes. When she is sad, she uses them to reach up for us. I love her hands, but I love them most when she has snuggled into my shoulder and she reaches out to me and begins to pat me with them as she is falling asleep.

As I type I am looking at those little hands that I love so very much. She has drifted off to sleep and they lay on her pillow folded so beautifully together. If I allow her to stay here in my bed I will surely be wakened in the morning by the tap, tap, tap of tiny fingers on my cheeks.

10 Comments:

At 2:13 AM , Blogger The Dean Family said...

How sweet! You truly are blessed! Enjoy these sweet moments and cherish them. Thanks for sharing!
Angela in AK

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Such a sweet, sweet post! Sunshine

 
At 12:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is such a blessing to be able to read the words you type, your feelings, your experiences. It makes us feel like we are there, loving your little daughter too.
We do..only by God's power can we love her so much..and we have never met her. We continue to pray for your little family..here in Central IL

 
At 2:30 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Most of lifes greatest joys come in the form of little things, like Ashley's fingers. They truly warm the heart as they touch, rub, tap, rest. I just love this little girl and I am so glad she is letting you know how much she loves you. And Jesus loves you both biggest of all!!! Keep enjoying this time Trish, after the time you had last year, you have all earned this peace. May it continue forever.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!- and blessed.
in prayer-krista

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

What a sweet p;ost. Oops, now I see that's already been said. Well, it was sweet. I could just imagine those tiny little fingers tapping your face. It's so wonderful you are having these memory making moments with her. Kiss those tiny fingers for us. (Can you believe how cold it is today in Longview - at least for Longview, it's cold. And then in the 60's this weekend! Hope y'all are able to get out and about and enjoy the weekend.)

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Oops again. That word in the first sentence was supposed to be post.

 
At 9:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Thanks for sharing. Praying for all of you.
Love,
Lori

 
At 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She communicates with her hands and you captured it in writing beautifully!

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Holly said...

So thankful for those little hands that tap your cheeks! Praise God! He is good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home