Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/01/2008

Record Holder

This is how it went down.

Last week Ashley had both pairs of her glasses to the point that they could no longer be worn. So yesterday I mustered all the courage I could find and went back to the optical store. They just smiled as I walked in and said, "How is she doing with her glasses?" (I know they were secretly hoping I was in for Blake or Allie). I pulled both pair of broken glasses out of my bag and laid them on the counter. No words were even necessary. They could see how she had been doing with her glasses. The mocha pair only required two new lenses, the pink pair were destroyed. Lenses and frames, so we went back to the drawing board and chose a new pair. Purple is what we decided on. They were so adorable! (Notice the word "were").

I picked the children up from school and stopped by to pick up Ashley's glasses on the way home. I went in at 4pm, grabbed the glasses, placed them on her face while Blake and Allie oohed and aahed over the new purple frames. We pulled into our driveway at 4:28pm and as I unloaded Ashley Kate from her car seat I found them. Her nice, new purple glasses had been thrown off of her face and to the floor between the door and her seat. I picked them up and announced, "You have GOT to be kidding!"

I handed them to Blake and he announced, "AWESOME! I bet that's a new world record. 28 minutes flat!"

All I could do was shake my head and laugh. EVERYTHING is a competition to my son. Even the time it takes for his baby sister to ruin a pair of her glasses. I'm pretty sure he's right. I bet she holds the fastest time ever for destroying a pair of lenses. They are ruined. She has the impression of her bottom row of teeth in the middle of both lenses.

I don't have the courage to return them again this week. I will try and make the other pair last at least until next week before I walk back into that store.

Dave's new plan is to ask them to go ahead and cut 10 lenses at a time and just hold them for us. That way the repairs will be faster on everyone. Its obvious we are going to need them.

By the way, if you think about it would you please pray for Blake. He's been stuggling with a nasty cough and sore throat all week, refusing to admit that he is actually sick. The cough has gotten really, really bad and he hasn't slept for days. This morning I begged him stay home in bed and rest his body, but he refused. He is determined to stay at school, attend every practice this week, play in every game this week, and enjoy his birthday tomorrow and his party on Friday. Blake is very driven in everything he does and today was the day to turn in his application to run for student council. He insisted he HAD to be there. Anyway, he feels awful and I'm praying that the Lord would allow his body to heal and recover soon. I sure would appreciate your prayers for him.

Well, I've got less than 24 hours to finish Blake's surprise and the rush is on. We will be picking up the largest pieces this afternoon, laying the floor tonight, loading it all in while the kids sleep and revealing it to our 13 year old in the morning. Wish us luck! Dave and I are going to need to use all of our muscle to pull this thing off. Trust me, its heavy!!!

Have a great day and take care my friends, Trish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home