Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/12/2009

So Precious

There is nothing more precious in all this world than the words of a father crying out to the Father on behalf of his child. Each time Dave prays I get lost in his words, his tone, his pleas. What a gift it is to have a father who prays for you. I've got one, and my kids have one. We are surely blessed.

Dave ran home to sit across the table from me for a few minutes over his lunch break. It was a rushed break because of staff meetings, errands, and a trip to the lab, but we took advantage of the time together anyway. Before we began to eat, he began to pray. Instead of just thanking the Father for our blessings and the food that sat before us he took the opportunity to make a plea for Ashley Kate and her line issues. How beautiful to hear his words. How precious to my heart to know that on his mind throughout his busy day is our little one.

Not more than 30 minutes ago, I decided to work on her line again. I didn't expect anything to change. I had worked on it for a length of time last night and again early this morning. We were still waiting(and remain waiting) for a return call from the doctor's office about the TPA and so I thought I'd try it one more time. Guess what? A drop of blood came back in the syringe. I thought my eyes were playing on tricks on me so I flushed with a new syringe and drew back again. Then it happened. The flow started. I was able to draw back 3ccs of waste and another 4ccs of blood. Just enough to run the tests that had to be sent today in order to get her TPN made this week. I wasn't able to draw for her drug levels(the ones her doctors in Omaha really want) because they have to be drawn at 7am, but I did get blood. Out of that locked up line it came. Go God!!!

I was so excited. I called Dave to share with him and this is what he had to say, "He's in the prayer answering buisiness." Just as matter of fact as he could be. He was thrilled, but not surprised that God answered this prayer with blood. Its what we needed and He gave it sparing Ashley Kate any pain that today would hold for her tiny body. I feel so blessed. So very blessed.

Its just like our Father to show up like that isn't it. Not really expected, but there all along. Its a Father's job to love his kids, to want to make life easier on them, and to desire to bless them. Thats what Dave does for our kids, and today I was reminded by just a few drops of blood that thats exactly what my Father in heaven does for us too. He loves Ashley Kate and He didn't have to spare her the pain of many needle sticks and pokes today, but He did. He loves me and He didn't have to spare me the pain of paying for my own sins on a cross meant for me, but He did. It feels good to be reminded of that every now and again. God loves us. He really and truly does.

We still believe her line requires a little work to keep babying it along until she can be weaned off of her TPN support(this is the same PIC line that was placed in early October. We are hoping to hold on to it until she can be line free to avoid another surgery). TPA(the clot buster) is still necessary. I'm not sure where or how its going to be done, but for today, for this moment, she's avoided the pain of a lab draw and I am so, so grateful.

To all of those who prayed over her line today I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. Those needle sticks are so hard on her and so hard on me. Her tiny veins are shot from the frequent access her life has required and finding one that will hold up to a needle isn't pretty for anyone whose involved. Today we are blessed. Take care. Trish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home