Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/31/2006

Tickles and Grins

What a wonderful afternoon we have had with our sweet Ashley today. It has been such a turn around from what we experienced yesterday. As her Aunt Toni said, "She is just full of tickles and grins!" Ashley has played and grinned all day long. It has been so refreshing to watch her have a little fun with her toys today. I know that all of the prayers that go up for her everyday are being heard. I would have never guessed she would have had such a good day. She is very awnry and we love that. The more we say,"Ouch!" the bigger she grins. She loves to pull our hair! I can see my Ashley today and I am more than grateful.

The pictures from Ashley's scope are absolutely beautiful! The intestine looks so good. We will not know the cellular results until tomorrow, but it looks good so far. She loves Dr. Antonson the GI doctor who does the scopes. He is really good with Ash, and today I got him to admit that he loves her. It is hard not to love Ashley. There is just something about her that makes you fall in love with her. I so appreciate the liver and bowel team that work in this hospital. I don't think you could find a better transplant team anywhere. They are making a very difficult situation "doable" for us, and I am more than grateful for the role they play in Ashley's life.

We finally gave in and cut Ashley's hair this afternoon. I haven't told her Daddy yet so please keep it under wraps until I get a chance to talk to him about it. Ash had lost so much of her long hair, especially on the back of her head that it was necessary to trim off what was left. This goes against every mothering philospy I have when it comes to raising little girls. Allie was 6years old before I allowed hers to even be trimmed! I really had no choice. She looks much better now that the long strands have been cut off. I placed one of her new "bigger bows" around her head and took her out for a short walk in the hall to show it off. My nurses agree that this is what needed to be done. I am just praying that her beautiful hair will begin to grow back in as soon as she adjusts to the medicines. I will have David post pictures of her new look as soon as he gets here.

The PICU is looking absolutely full. A group of trauma patients came in today and I have no idea what happened. I was just told that I didn't want to know what was going on. So I have just been praying that God would touch their bodies and minister to their families. The waiting room is full of people who are definitely hurting. I know that the trauma victims were 12 and 15, but that is all I know. Please remember to pray for them tonight.

Thank you all for coming to visit Ashley's story today and for being such a big part of her life. We love you all and appreciate all of your prayers. May He bless you tonight and keep you all safe in His care.

3 Comments:

At 6:30 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

We just want you to know that our prayers continue. We are so thankful that you have had such an awesome day with Ashley. I know that you are glad to begin getting pieces of her back. I am sure she looks absolutely adorable, hair or not. I know that you are so thankful for each moment that you have with her, and cherish every moment that you get to spend with her. We are praying that God continues to touch the lives of all the families who hear of Ashley's story....what an amazing journey He has blessed you with. I am so excited about what is in store for you tomorrow!! God will be pouring His blesings on you today, tomorrow, and always!! Much love and prayers!!

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very excited that Ashley has had such a good day and I want you to know that you should not feel ashamed for being homesick or wanting your life to go back to the norm. My daughter was 4 weeks old when she had open heart surgery, we live in Alabama and her surgery was done in Boston. It was extremely scary and I remember how the walls seem to close in on you. Keep your head up and keep the faith. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Amanda D.

 
At 10:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that the scope looked good! I'm so glad that this day was surprisingly nice :O). Praying for a restful night for you, Ashley and family.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home