Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/30/2006

Crayons on the wall.....

I sometimes sit and think about what the future holds for our family. I don't like to watch my little Gherkin go through any more pain than she already has so I have been somewhat of a pushover. I am always trying to protect her from more pain. Her Physical Therapist (Sue) just laughs at me and tells Trish what needs to be done because she knows I don't want to do anything to make Ash cry. Trish just keeps telling me that one day we are going to have to "parent this child." "Yeah, OK, one day but not today" I tell her. So today I was just daydreaming of when she comes home. I see her awnry attitude and know that the day will come when there is a beautiful picture drawn on the wall. The funny thing is I already know how I am going to respond. I am just going to tell her how beautiful it is and then try to teach into this mess how we should draw on paper not walls. What else do I have to look forward to? Spills, crashes and bangs from the other room? Innocent puppy dog looks of who me? I didn't do it? Yep, probably all of this and alot more. But, you know what, I am looking forward to those days. I would much rather have a Gherkin drawing on my walls in TX than one fighting for life in NE.

I have checked the calander and planned the next trip to Omaha. This time Blake and I will be going in just over a week. I am already making plans and counting down the days. It has been so long since Blake got to see his mom and baby sister. I know he is very excited.

DAVE

3 Comments:

At 3:09 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I know the feeling! I told my husband when our baby was in her open-heart surgery that I looked forward to the day when she'd need to be disciplined--a naughty child is a healthy child:)

If I were you, I might just frame that colored picture on the wall someday! (or at least take a picture of it before repainting!!)

 
At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A volunteer chaplain came to visit my three year old in the hospital this morning. I asked him what church he belonged to and when he said Oakland Heights I asked how your daughter was doing because I had seen the prayer request on the bill board. Everytime I would pass that bill board I shoot out a prayer for your family.

You are such an inspiration,and have handled your struggles with grace. God Bless you!!!

 
At 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God grant Ashley to have many murals on the walls of your house, red juice on the carpets, bath water spilled all over the bathroom floor, tons of fingerprints all over the tv screen, the computer soooo messed up that the Geek Squad cannot even fix the problem, musical toys that will not stop playing in the middle of the night, the frig. door left opened and everything ruined, all of this and more is my prayer for your family. All of this means that Ashley is home and feeling good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home