Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/09/2006

He's the Best...

Dave is one of the people in my life that makes it so great. What a lucky girl I am to be married to this guy. Last night at our house was "Date Night". Blake had gone home with a friend after school to spend the weekend, so that left Dave and Allie a whole evening to spend alone together. Several years ago Dave began "dating" our daughter Allie. He came up with the idea that he wanted to be the one to teach her how special she was and how much she should always be valued. One of the ways he decided to do this was with "Date Night".

On date night the excitement in our home is hard to contain. Allison loves it! We usually begin preparing for her evening out by choosing just the right outfit. She likes to lay it out early in the morning and then she begins counting the hours until she hears the knock on our door. We always do her hair and make up (a little lip gloss and finger nail polish), and she and I spend precious time talking about all the things that Daddy must do. First things first he must come to the door. She does not allow him to honk for her to come out. Sometimes he surprises her with a boquet of flowers. She loves this! She always runs in and places them into a vase before leaving. Next he must open the car door for her. One time he forgot and I was watching from the window as she patiently just stood outside the car waiting for him to get back out and open her door. Nothing gets by her. They usually have dinner and conversation together at Allies favorite restaraunt Pappacitas. Where I have been told that he pulls out her chair for her and places her napkin in her lap. She thought this was really dorky! (One time I think she chose Burger King instead) Then off to the putt putt place they go. She loves to do Pappacitas and putt putt almost every time.

Last night they switched things up a little because the putt putt place was closed. They went shopping instead. He is the best dad in the whole world. Dave hates to shop, but Allison loves it. They went to Claires in the mall(her favorite store) and then to Old Navy where he bought her a new pair of p.j.s. Next they went and rented the Polly Pocket movie so they could go home and eat popcorn and be all cozy in their pajamas. I love this guy!

The best thing about "Date Night" is that Dave and Allie get to make special memories together. I know there will come a day when he finally agrees to let her go out on a "real" date, and my prayer is that a smile will always come to her face when she remembers how special her daddy treated her. Allie knows that the only guy in the world who is allowed to hold her hand is her dad. (He taught her how to punch somebody just in case someone else ever tries to. This made me laugh and laugh when she came home and told me.)

I wish I could have been there last night to help her get ready, but I was busy here taking care of our Ashley so that she too might have special "Date Nights" with the best guy in the world. I love that he loves our girls so much! He's the best.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

What a blessing you guys must be to your kids! I'm going to have to share this one with my husband; he'll love starting this tradition with our baby girl someday!

 
At 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just precious....& gives me some ideas for my ...now....four year old daughter ....who adores her daddy. (= Oh...I dread the thought of when they are old enough to date for real...I hope Mark & I with God's intervention will have her prepared when that time comes....(thankfully it is quite awhile away). How is Ash doing? Are you counting the days till your little family will be together at Christmas? I am hoping & praying it will be a Very Blessed time. Praying home will be in the horizon before we all know it. Miracles...& healing....that is my prayer & my Christmas list to Santa this year.

 
At 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken says Dave is his hero!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home