Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/13/2006

Packages

"Its all in the presentation!" Thats my motto. I love to wrap packages. It doesn't matter what occasion I just love to prepare the package. At Christmas time all of our packages are color coordinated under the tree. I usually choose 3 different rolls of wrap and make sure they all "fit" within our themed country Christmas style. All of the gifts match the decor in the house and on the tree. I love to make personal name tags as well. The store bought ones just don't present the package with the right effect under our tree. I will be the first to admit that I am a little obsessive when it comes to wrapping the gifts. To be perfectly honest with you the year that Christmas took place at my house my sisters brought their gifts unwrapped because they knew I would want all of the packages to match and they didn't want me to have to re-wrap theirs. (I told you my motto is that "its all in the presentation." I know this is shameful!) In my defense it sure makes for beautiful pictures, but is that any excuse for my behavior?

One of the things I know that God has taught me through Ashley's Story is that it truly "is not all in the presentation." Take me for example. If I were a package to be placed under His tree this Christmas here is what you might see in the presentation. The package seems to be bulging a little on the sides, the paper is a little worn and now wrinkled, and the tag that was handmade by the Father Himself is barely hanging on most days. The recipient of this gift may not be too excited to receive such a tattered package, but thankfully this is not just any body's package. This package is going to be presented to the King, and it is a very special day. I know that when He takes this package into His hands that it will be valued. It will be treasured. It will be loved, and it will be accepted no matter how it was presented to Him. He will love what He finds on the inside of this package. Jesus will look past the presentation and He will see what is deep inside. He will find a heart that has received Him. He will find a heart that has been forgiven. He will find a heart that although it is not perfect, He will look on it with compassion because it loves Him.

How wonderful for me to have learned this season that it is not all about the way things are presented. So many missed out on His birth and His life because they could not see past the presentation. How this breaks my heart. I can now look past the outside and search for the inside of a package (or person). I now try to see a person through the eyes of the One who created them. I look for the heart that is found deep inside of them. I find myself searching for the goodness in them, no matter what they may have presented to me. I have learned to value people, because He does. It only takes a smile or a kind word or gesture to reach most people. The hardest of hearts I have watched soften when they have come in contact with Ashley's story. It is amazing that He is using this tiny little girl (who many could not see past the way she was presented) to change my heart. He is using my Ashley to teach me that it is not "all about the presentation". There is so much more. It is about what you find inside of the package. It is about the soul that He valued enough to be born as a baby in a stable of all places. It is about the soul that He was willing to endure so much for. It is about learning to love the inside of the "package"(or person), the way that He does.

I still love a perfectly presented package under the Christmas tree, but I am learning that even if it doesn't coordinate with my theme it could still be something very special. I am learning to be eager in searching for those not so perfectly presented packages and touch them with His love. What a gift!

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My how God has blessed you with the ability to share Him with so many. Your words are so from your heart and I love reading what He has put on your heart. May you continue to listen and post about Ashley's Story as He leads you!

 
At 12:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish....You REALLY should consider trying to publish your journal.... or work on a book one day. You have a gift for writing. Truly. God has given you an avenue to share what he has done & touch lives...by your narration...of things. (= The wrapping paper ....LOL (= Goodness...what would "My" package look like...Yikes! LOL (= Praying for your family & the much awaited reunion too...next week. Praying for many blessings & a wonderful GOD given time together to celebrate his birth. Hugs..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home