Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/12/2006

Sleeping like a Baby...

Well after staying up with Ash for more than 24 hours after she came off of the ventilator, last night they gave her a little "sleepy night time cocktail". It worked beautifully! Ashley was fast asleep by 10:00p.m. and did not stir even one time through the night. She and I both slept until 6:00 this morning. We then made the exciting move back into a crib. How wonderful it is to look over at her and see her happily playing and peacefully resting in a bed made for a baby. She played for a couple of hours and then decided to drift back to sleep. She slept for another 8 hours! She was completely exhausted and needed to catch up on her beauty sleep. Our nurse today was a little sad because Ash slept through her entire shift and this was the first time she had been given the opportunity to take care of her.

Once Ash finally decided to wake up, she was greeted with a wonderful surprise. If you know Ashley then you could probably guess what her favorite thing to play with is. Thats right, a Balloon! Not just any balloon, but a balloon bigger than she is. It is so cute and she was so happy. She began grunting and reaching and making the "B,B,B" sound. She played with it for over an hour. What a smile it brought to my heart to see her feeling so good and having so much fun. After playing with her balloon she layed back on her pillow and began to play peek-a-boo with me between the bars of her crib. We giggled at each other as she would poke her fingers through the bars and I would snatch them up with my kisses. I could play with this girl forever and never grow tired. What a memory we made together.

Once again my Blake has touched my heart so deeply. Tonight as I tried to get him to tell me something, anything that he would like to have for Christmas he finally said he guessed he might like an Ipod or something like that. Then he quickly changed his mind and said to me, "Mom, what I would really like more than anything else is for Ashley to say, "Bubba" and remember me when I walk into her room next week." I love this kid! Only 9 more days until they arrive to spend Christmas with us.

Allie is so happy because her week is filled with wonderful and exciting things to do. She will be very busy attending cheerleading practices, tumbling, carolling with her class at church, Christmas parties, and so much more. I would like to announce that after cheering competitively for 3 years, her squad finally took 1st place at competition this weekend. You could actually here her smiling over the phone! When she called me she said, "Mom, this is what we have been waiting for my whole life!" I am more than proud and a little sad that I missed it. She has grown up so much while I have been away. I can't wait to catch up with her next week.

Today we have been given another day with our Ashley Kate and I know what a gift each day with her is. How blessed we are to have been chosen to be her parents. I thank the Father all throughout the day for smiling down on me. Thanks for checking on us today. We appreciate all of your prayers for our family during this time we must spend apart. I look forward to the day when I can share with you all that we are moving back home to Texas. I have no idea when that day will come, I just have learned to "Expect a Miracle" and I believe it is going to happen. Good night and may God Bless you guys.

4 Comments:

At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is such a blessing, to us who have been praying, to know that you and little Ashley have had such a good time together today. Just to know that she is feeling well enough to even want to play is wonderful. Thank You Jesus for showing us Your love in such a special way today.

Oh how I wish Ashley could learn to say "Bubba" for Blake by the time they arrive. I don't suppose you are working on that, huh, Trish? Of course I guess Allie would want to know why she doesn't say "Sissy", that is, of course if that is what Allie wants to be called by her baby sister. It's fun just to talk about your 3 children and how they will refer to each other in their on endearing words.

With all the "busyness" of this wonderful Christmas season we continue to be blest by Ashley's Story. Again, thank you, Trish and Davie for sharing it with us. We look forward to each and every post. Have a restful night.

 
At 12:11 AM , Blogger Renee said...

TYVM Trish and may God Bless you and your family also. I pray you will all be together again in Texas some day soon.
Always praying and thinking of ya'll.

 
At 7:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise...I am thankful for all the progress & the move to a crib. Also, I am thankful for you & your family. The sharing of your heart each day. Oh...how it touches me. I am thankful for your new revelation to "expect a miracle" & believe it will happen. As ...I believe & have my moments where fears take over too....( it is good to hear a mom ...who has been down this long hard road...make that statement too). Your an awesome family.....praying for God's continued blessings & joining you in Believing GOD is going to do great things with Ashley's life. Praying for a miraculous healing. Hugs.

 
At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad things are better for you both. We're still sending those prayers up for you all though! I mailed a package from Alabama for you and Ashley on Monday. I am praying that it arrives there safely. Can't wait until you can hold the other part of your family and soon! Praise his name for what a wondeful saviour he his! Bless his name! Thank you for your faith and courage!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home