Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/27/2006

We found a Bug

This morning everyone is dancing in the halls because they have actually found a "bug" growing in Ashley's blood. I know it seems silly to be celebrating this, but she has been sick so many times without any known causes that this is actually good news for us. They have identified what has made her this ill, and they are now able to treat her with the right anitbiotics to kill this infection. She is actually already feeling so much better than she has over the last couple of days. She is on the ventilator, but she is awake and playing with all who pop in to visit with her. She has managed to smile a couple of times with the tube in her mouth and down her throat. Her spirit amazes me! She teaches me to be content no matter what circumstance I find myself in. I love this little girl!

We actually expect her and her x-rays to look worse by tomorrow. She still has her beautiful face with her sweet eyes and her tiny little nose, but the fluid will begin to shift soon and she will swell again. She received 4 fluid bolus' to maintain her status yesterday. Everything from a blood transfusion to albumin, and by tonight or tomorrow the sepsis will cause her vessels to become "weepy" and the extra fluids will shift into her tissues. I am more than thankful that God led us to this hospital. The doctors and nurses are incredible, and they did an amazing job for our daughter once again. I can't say thank you enough for the wisdom they used in making the right decisions for Ashley. Yesterday we watched Ash waiver between life and death. It was definitely one of the hardest days so far. Her lips had become blue at one point and the feelings of helplessness had begun to overcome me. I stood back and watched as God used the doctors and nurses to spare my Ashley. I will forever be grateful. After spending so much time here, I now have developed a "safety" net of friends who work at this hospital. They are so much more than just professionals. I see how much they care for Ashley and myself, and I am touched and honored to call them my friends. The nurses have become more than just our nurses. Several of them read Ashley's journal on the days when they do not come in so they can check in on her. I love these ladies and I thank God for their friendships.

Last night was Ashley's three month post transplant anniversary. As we watched her go through a CT scan of her head, sinus, chest, and then abdomen I was so humbled to see her amazing new organs. I am still blessed by the thought that a family would consider my family and my daughter's life during their most difficult moments. Ashley's new organs are working and functioning beautifully and without this gift she would no longer be with us. I know that if she can survive the immunosuppresion related infections that she will have a real chance at living a beautiful life. Please remember to lift up our precious donor's family when you pray for Ashley. Without this family our story would have ended.

Today we feel renewed. The Father tells me that, "His mercies are new every morning", and today I know that more than ever. I see life in Ashley's eyes. I see her awnry streak back as I watch her "tear" up Blake and Allie. I see her rosy cheeks. I see my daughter and she is still with us. She is strong. She is determined. She is happy, and she loves us. That is all I need to see. Tomorrow will be whatever it will be, but today I have seen enough. The mercy of the Father is evident in her life and mine.

6 Comments:

At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God for zeroing in on this bug! Yipee!!! I am so happy for your family! Now Ashley can turn that corner and start getting better PERMANENTLY! I will continue to pray and ask God to give your family peace. Please know I love you and I hope you know I am here for you!

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Katy said...

Trish, Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Just a question. I know nothing of transplant patients, so forgive my ignorance. Is Ashley's situation and her length of stay and her up and downs out of the ordinary or are they to be expected? Thank you.

Press on dear friend.
Katy

 
At 2:18 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

I am so glad that they found the bug that has been making her so sick. I pray that they are able to get rid of that bug, and that much better days are around the corner for her!! Praise the Lord!!

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

Praise God. I will pray that the antibiotic is effective and for the family that gave you this chance.

 
At 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! God is Awesome! I'm so thrilled to know the culpret has been found. I pray for things to continue to go for the positive. My heart smiled when you told us how she is trying to get the best of Blake and Allie. I can just see her. I will pray tomorrow will not be a difficult as you expect it to be. I love all of you guys. Aunt Toad

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

I came to your site from In the Midst of it... I am praying for your little pumpkin and my son has added her to his prayer list - he is 8 and is a little prayer warrior. I also read "the comment" and would consider that the person who wrote that was obviously not 'lead' when it was written. That was an opinion, nothing more. God has a perfect will and as I have read you seek it constantly. Praise be to the Great Physician that this bug was found and will be delt with!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home