Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/16/2007

Under His Care

If only I could write every page of Ashley's story for you all to read then you would truly see that her life is nothing but miraculous. Yesterdays and today's events have only added to my reverence for an almighty God who loves the tiniest of His Creation. Every day of Ashley's life He has been there protecting her and taking care of her. Once again He has shown me that even though I don't know what tomorrow holds He does and He is there taking care of things.

Please bare with me as I go back over the last few weeks of Ashley's care. A CT scan was done looking for evidence of a possible mold infection that had grown out on a culture that was sent 7 days prior. During the CT scan 2 nodules were noted and reported as mold. Last week it was discussed whether or not she should go to CT to follow up on the mold. It was decided to wait for another week and give the anti-biotic a full 2 weeks to work. Yesterday we went to CT and while looking for the mold (that was probably never there in the first place) they found an accumulation of fluid around Ashley's heart. This fluid would not have been there the week before and therefore we would have had no need to go to CT this week. An echo was then done and it was decided that because of her respiratory status quickly dwindling the fluid must be removed from around her heart immediately. During the attempt to drain the fluid Ashley went into Cardiac Arrest and began to code. CPR was started and she was re-intubated with the ventilator. She remained stable through most of the night, but early this morning we noticed a change in her blood pressures. They were rapidly dropping. A second echo was done and a blood clot was then detected. The top pediatric heart surgeon in the area was called in and he took my Ashley down to the operating room and removed the very things that were trying to take her life. God has done big, big things over the last couple of weeks and even though I may never understand the whys of all of this I know He is in control.

Today He spared my sweet Ashley and she is now resting stable on the vent. She is still very, very ill. While recovering from this heart operation she is struggling with her lungs. They have taken a huge hit and she has a battle to fight. Although she looks bad, she still looks so much better than she did last night or this morning.

Some people may not understand why we pray or why we believe in a God who you cannot see, but when you meet my Ashley you will leave with the knowledge that He is real and He is alive and He loves us. My faith has nothing to do with my religion. My faith is not based on my good works. My faith does not come from attending the church. The one thing I pray that people can take away from my Ashley's story and her struggles is this; Faith is based on the relationship. It is my relationship with Christ that allows me to believe that the God of the universe loves me. I will never be a perfect person. I will continue to make mistakes throughout my life, but I have a God who forgives me, who loves me, and who takes care of my baby.

My Ashley Kate is here and so many are not. Another child has died this hour in the PICU and I know that I could be standing in the same place as her parents are. I am thankful for each breath. I am thankful for each smile. I am thankful for each and every ounce of "trouble" that my baby can muster. I am thankful for another day to be her mommy. I am thankful for her life because I know that is a gift. I am thankful to be under His care.

Your prayers are so precious and they are carrying me through. I love you for loving my baby. How could I ever say thank you enough for the difference you are making in my life and in Ash's. I pray that each and every one of you will find yourselves "Under His Care" today and always. Love, Trish

25 Comments:

At 4:22 PM , Blogger Linda said...

I am here from Sarah's blog. I've come to tell you I am praying for you. I am weeping for you. I wish I could just reach out and give you a hug. Your sweet spirit just touched my heart. I,too, know the Lord loves Ashley. He sees her and cares for just as if she were the only little one in all the world. I don't have any answers for these times of suffering, I only know that as we trust Him He comes to us and gives us peace and strength and grace.
I'm praying all of those things for you. And I'm praying for a miracle for Ashley. We need a miracle in our family too, and I know that He is a God of miracles.

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Tara said...

Praying with you and for you in Georgia. Ashley's story and your faith are lifting up people everywhere! It is an honor to be a witness, albeit via the internet, to Ashley's life. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. God bless your little girl and your sweet family.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

This one moved me to tears, Trish. How amazing your little girl is! And that you'd take the time in the midst of such a day to share the gospel stuns me. What a difference-maker you are! God bless you today, and I'm praying that today is the first step toward better health for her. Wow. I'm speechless.

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Alice said...

I am here from Sarah's blog too. I am sitting here in my living room in Illinois praying for you, Ashley, and your family...

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

I stopped by via Sarah-In The Midst of It.
I can't even imagine what you have been going through these last few weeks. But I do know God is a healer and he can do the impossible. Hold on to that faith and He will see you through. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart. Proverbs 3:5
Keeping you in our prayers!

 
At 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, you are amazing to handle the things that you handle on a day-to-day basis. And what a powerful witness you are! It breaks my heart to think that you spend so much time there by yourself--I so wish I were close enough to be able to sit with you and hold your hand. But I know that God is there, and rather than holding your hand, I pray that He is holding you in His hand. God bless you, and I'll keep praying.

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Lori said...

I am here from another blog but I am praying for you.

 
At 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sad thinking of what you are going through. But, like so many before me have said, you are such an inspiration in the face of such overwhelming sadness. I pray that Ashley will be made whole and well and that you and your family have many happy days to come! Thinking of you and praying for you in Mississippi!

Paige

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I came here from Sarah's blog and just wanted to let you know that sweet Ashley, and the rest of your family, will be in my prayers. God bless you all.

 
At 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, faith is for sure more than religion. What an awesome God that He created the entire universe and yet He sees each one of us individually and takes the time to communicate with us; if we will only allow Him to. How He loves our little Gherkin and what a miracle worker He is! Praise be unto Him; our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! My prayers will continue both day and night. WAiting for more miracles and more praises to come. God is good - All the time and all the time - God is good! I love you, Grandma

 
At 6:01 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for your sweet girl. May God bless you and your sweet family. Praying that you will feel His wings sheltering you during this time. Thanks for sharing your heart and your story with us.

 
At 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Praying for Ashley and you tonight. God is the all mighty physician. Thy will be done. Bless you tonight.

 
At 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW....don't have email at work. So much has happened since I left home this morning. I know you must be so tired Trish.....& Dave...sweet Adams family. I am so sorry to hear about the child that passed away today....how sad I am for the parents...praying for their comfort. I am praising the Father for taking care of sweet Ash today. That sweet child....praying for her rest...for her healing. I don't know how much she will have to endure....praying that things will turn around & get better from here on out. This is such a road of endurance .....but most importantly FAITH. Praying for you guys...

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Ivey's Mom said...

Praying, praying, praying. I pray that you will have strength for the two of you and the family not there. You are an amazing!! woman with a zealous daughter. I revel at you. I pray that you will find strenght beyond your prayers. We are with you!!
Many prayers from Georgia,
Gwen and Ivey

 
At 7:26 PM , Blogger Sandy said...

I am here from Sarah's blog. I will lift you and your family and your baby girl up. Lean on Him, He will never leave your side.

 
At 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came from Sarah's site - In the Midst of It - lifting Ashley and you all up before the throne. He is right there with you and Ashley and your husband and the doctors - may you find rest in His lap right now.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Just Me said...

Just popped over from Kelli's blog - and just wanted you to know that prayers are being lifted up from Canada! Blessings on you and Ashley!

 
At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying for safe travel for the entire family and praying that God will intervene in the life of Ashley. I know you will feel so much better with your family with you Trish! Love and Many Prayers!

 
At 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, you are awesome. I can't even explain how it makes me feel to read how strong your faith is. It is obvious you love your daughter, your family and God. Thank you for all the lessons that you have taught me, you will never understand how your faith has touched me.

I will continue to pray for Ashley, her mommy and your entire family.

Amanda D.

 
At 9:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a bunch of us from the Rebelution prayer room praying for you and your precious little one, Trish. May God continue to uphold you with His peace! I'm overwhelmed by how, in His own amazing way, He is already using Ashley's little life to be a blessing to His people. We won't forget you! Love in Jesus, Abigail =)

 
At 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for hope and strength. His love abounds........forever. God is still there...every step...every move. Hold tight to your faith! HE is the GREAT physcian.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I am here from Sarah's blog, also. I am praying for you and your family right now as I write this. My prayer is that our GREAT God will wrap you up in the palm of His hand and comfort you and all involved with Ashley. I pray that He will guide the doctors and nurses and give them wisdom to deal with all that is going on with her. I pray for your marriage that it will be strengthened through all of this. And, most of all, I pray that you and your family will be able to use this as a witness to how Awesome and Mighty and Sovereign our God is!

 
At 9:43 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family as I write this. I pray that our Great Father will wrap you and your family up in His Mighty hand and comfort you and give you strength for the days ahead. I pray that He will use this to draw you closer to Himself and also closer to your family. I pray for your marriage that it will be strengthened and that the bond between you and your husband will grow stronger through this. I pray for wisdom for the doctors and nurses and that God will guide them. And most of all, I pray that you will be able to use Ashley's situation to reveal how Awesome and Mighty our God is... especially to anyone who may be lost that reads your posts.

As a mother, I can't imagine what you must be going through, but you have been an encouragement to me today by showing me that we must trust God always because He is sovereign.

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

I pray that God's love would flow abundantly to you now. He is your strength and portion.
I read Sarah's blog and I came here to read Ashley's story. Tears have welted in my eyes and goose bumps all over my body. God is good. God is good. Our Sovereign God is good. Your sweet sweet spirit and hope in Jesus is encouraging.
I am praying for you all the way from California. --Bella

 
At 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot stop the tears from flowing as I read about the events that have taken place within the last 24 hours. How much your heart must ache. I don't know how much a heart can take. If it is any comfort to you, please know that people are praying for you and Ashley. If my arms could stretch to Nebraska, I would hug you both. God's arms are always around you and your family. I pray that you both have rest tonight so that tomorrow will be a day of healing. May God bring peace upon your heart.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home