Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/19/2007

Hurdling

So in case you didn't know this about me there was a time in my life when I was in great shape. I know, I know that is so hard to believe, but when I was in high school my sport of choice was track and field. I actually attended college on a track scholarship before Dave and I moved to Dallas so he could attend Chiropractic college. I had always been a fast runner. As far back as I can remember I was usually the fastest runner in school. In kindergarten I ran faster than all the boys. First grade it was the same. Second grade, third, fourth, etc. etc. It was just my thing. I could challenge anyone to a race across the playground and more than likely I was assured a victory. There came a time in junior high school where my coach challenged me to do more than just sprint. He wanted me to learn to run the hurdles. He was convinced that if I could just learn to 3 step those 100m hurdles there was no way anyone else could beat me. Even though he and my dad held on to this belief I myself was not so sure. They honestly wanted me to not only run faster than the others in my field but to also out jump them. So off I went.

I remember my very first race. It was not pretty! I think I actually knocked over more than I jumped. I came off the track bloodied and humiliated, but more determined than ever to learn how to jump those things. My dad built me a set of practice hurdles. I remember coming home from school and setting them up in the yard. I would do stretches. I would do drills. I would do sprints. Over and over again I would work on those home made hurdles. The more I practiced the more determined I became to learn how to win at those silly things. It didn't take long before I began to place in a few races. Then I actually won a couple. Before I knew what had happened to me I was not only running the 100meter hurdles but also the 300s. My first year as a hurdler I qualified to run them at the state meet.

So you may be wondering why I am sharing all of this with you. As Dave and I spent a few moments talking this weekend he brought it up. He asked me if I thought that our experience with Ashley's life reminded me of being a hurdler. I had never really thought of it like that before, but he was right. I was happily sprinting through my race of motherhood. Doing an ok job and winning most races that I entered during this part of my life when all of a sudden my Ashley was born. Now I had always wanted to add another child to my race of motherhood. I had actually been asking God to prepare me to do this and to give me this child. What I wasn't prepared for was being asked to hurdle rather than sprint. Sprinting through my race of motherhood I was already good at. My faith in God was always there leading me along and strengthening me, but hurdling? now that was going to take a whole different kind of faith. A faith that I never even considered I could have. Being Ashley's mommy came easy to me. Loving this tiny gift from God was a lot like sprinting. It was just something I was born to do. The hurdling part came into play when they told us she had short bowel syndrome. Ok, I can do this. I am a hurdler right? Then came the liver failure. Ok, I can do this too, instead of one hurdle on the track I now have two. Then before I could make it over the second hurdle I looked up and saw another one coming. Transplant. I can do this. My faith and my endurance are being strengthened. As I continue in the race I close my eyes and grit my teeth as I run as hard as I can. It seems as though the race is never going to end. I open my eyes and then guess what I see? another one coming. Cardiac arrest. By this time I am tired. I am running out of steam. I can feel myself slowing down and my faith NEEDS to be strengthened. If I am going to win this race I need to make up some ground. I have been knocking a few of those hurdles down along the way. I have to clear this one. No bobbles. Then I look up and see something ahead of me. It looks like a finish line, but I am still so very far away from it. It seems as though I have been given a little more distance between this last hurdle. I am feeling encouraged. I am sprinting toward the finish line. My Ashley is breathing well and she is finally on full feeds. I can feel my faith becoming stronger and stronger as I edge toward the goal. I approach the next hurdle. It seems so much bigger than the last. It really isn't. I am just tired. This next hurdle is ugly. I can tell it has been knocked over a time or two before. Cancer. Are you kidding? Do I have enough steam left to carry my Ashley over this hurdle and on to the finish? I realize I do not. My strength is gone and I begin to slow. It almost seems as though I am running in slow motion. I am no longer sprinting. I have begun to jog. Almost walk. As I edge closer and closer to this next hurdle with the goal of the finish line on ahead I need something more than just a desire to win. I need faith. Real faith. I not only need faith, but I need Him to take over the race. My legs are done. My feet are aching. If Ash and I are going to cross that finish line it can't be just the two of us breaking that tape. It has to be HIM. He has to cross that line with us in tow.

This race is the longest and hardest race that I have ever run. When I entered the race I was confident in my ability to win. There have been some hurdles in my lane that I look back over my shoulder at and I can't believe that we have made it over them. Now there is the hurdle of the cancer she faces looming before us. I am surprised at how high this hurdle actually is. I realize that the only way we are going to put it behind us is through our faith and trust in the Father. He is the one that allowed me to enter into this race in the first place. At times I have forced Him to run in the lane along side of me. At other times I have allowed Him to run ahead of me. At this time I need Him to pick us up and get us over the hurdle that is in front of us.

Chemotherapy is looming ahead of us in this race to the finish. It is an ugly hurdle and it is a high hurdle. My faith in Him tells me that there is no hurdle too high for Him to help us get over.

14 Comments:

At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not for sure what your major was in school...but journaling is definately a Gift from God for you. You absolutely amaze me with your words. I continue to pray for you and your precious Ashley...for Dave, Blake and Allie that God will carry each one of you over these next hurdles and that HE is what we will all see at the finish line of this race. That through it all...He has and will continue to get all the glory in what is going on in the life of baby Ashley. May God's peace be with you tonight!

 
At 11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was track person. So I understand your passion to defeat the obstacles that are to come. What is so great about knowing what Ashley is about to face, is that she will not be alone. Our Father will guide you both through this ugliness. Psalm 46:1 - "God is out refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." God will be your shelter during the "storms" of life.
My prayer tonight is for God to grant peace and understanding as you both "hurdle" down uncharted territory.

 
At 11:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again i have been brought to tears....not just by ashley's story....but your very unique and very amazing way of drawing it out...word picturing it...so we can not just read it...but experience it!! i also learned something new about you Trish....that you are NOT a quitter....you are hard worker...dedicated to achieving the goals ...and conquering the challenges before you! God knew this about you....many of us would have long since been overwhelmed and given up....but You...God knew you were motivated...He saw that strength in you....and knew it was exactly what Ashley would need!! what an amazing gift....i'm so honored and greatful for the opportunity to participate in praying you through your amazing race!! Press on toward the mark....

 
At 12:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have run the race and kept the faith"....Keep your face upward.

 
At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like footprints in the sand....you've read the poem many times, I'm sure..."One night a man had a dream...Then I noticed there was only one set of footprints in the sand, and I asked the Lord about it..."It was then than I carried you"

Praying He chooses to carry you safely over this next hurdle, and you both are homeward bound!

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger Tamara said...

That is such a beautiful post. You are such a blessing! Thank you!

 
At 6:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep running the race. He will carry you over todays hurdle, chemo. May you find rest, peace and strength as He carries you through this day. Praying for you and Ashley.

 
At 7:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to read what you write. You write so well. You should make all of this into a book or something to encourage people that are in your "track shoes."

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Paige said...

Praying for you both today. I am sure today will be difficult for you both, but He has promised that we will never walk along. Also praying that Allie is feeling better. I love to read your post. They are beautiful.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

ear Trish, Ashley you always seen to amaze me... your last post made me realize somthing so very,very important... that NOTHING is too big or too hard to get over, my God Trish you have done what so many cannot, you have that faith that I would give my life for, I love you all so very much, and I just want you to know that our prayers for you and your family will always be there. You are one amazing person, thank God for you. Barron

 
At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, Just remember the "Footprints" story. It is when we can't carry on.......he is steadily carrying us. I am praying for you. I know you have crossed great hurdles in great stride. I would be wore out too but, Trish you can continue on so just keep up that great faith you have. God is good all the time and he is watching over you and Ashley. You will get to that finish line in God's precious timing. I don't know when that will be but, he does. He knows the beginning and the end. It is through our sweet Jesus that we can face each day or whatever lies ahead of us. I am like you sometimes praying for my own family and then it is like I don't have the next words to even say to the Father. He knows my needs though and he will carry all of us through. I am praying for the Chemo to go well. Hope you have some time to just rest a little today and regain the strength you need to overcome any obstacles that you feel are hindering meeting the finish line. I love you. Love Always, Cindy Adams

 
At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Ash and Dave and Blake and Allie WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS! God will not let you down now; in fact, He will lift you even higher as HE CARRIES YOU THROUGH! Keep looking to Him - HE'S RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! You have so much love and support through all His children, too. We're praying you through.

 
At 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have fought the good fight, i have finished the race, i have kept the faith. now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness which the LORD the righteous judge will award to me on that day, and not only to me but for all who have longed for his appearing. 2nd Timothy 4:7-8
May God Make His Promise Come True To You In The Most Wonderful Way Possible. I too love to read the way you write Ashley's Story. Your are a gifted Mother, Writer, Nurse.........Etc.....We are praying for your Ashley, and Remember, You are on the Right Team!
Blessings,
Laurab Roller

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you for that beautiful analogy. You are in our prayers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home