Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/19/2007

In our room

Ash and I have just arrived back in our room. The surgery and scope went well. She now has a shiny, new broviac line in the left side of her chest(whats another scar at this point in the game?). She is doing well, a little swollen from all the fluid they ran through her while under the anesthesia, but is looking well overall. She is breathing on her own and was able to go on and off of the ventilator easily. At some point she will require a bubble bath tonight, but for now I am just going to allow her to be dirty. Hopefully the beta dine won't stain her skin if I allow it to sit there for a few more hours.

I have not slept since about 5:00 this morning and my head is aching. I am really looking forward to an evening nap, but first I get to enjoy a home cooked meal prepared by a wonderful lady who is taking such good care of me. Thank you so much Lou Ann. That is just what I needed after such a long day.

The oncologist came by while Ash was in surgery and I was in the waiting room. I did not get to talk to him about the plan for chemo tomorrow or the results of the scan. He left a message stating that he would be by between 9 and 10 tomorrow. I have many, many questions and concerns after reading through the consent forms about the chemo drugs. Maybe I should just sign the consent and try not to worry about it all? I know that it has to be done regardless of my concerns. I just can't believe she has cancer. Of all the things I had considered, I honestly never thought this would happen to her. Only 10-20 percent of the patients develop it. When you think about how small the liver/bowel transplant population actually is it just seems so rare that it could happen to my Ashley. I am trying to learn enough about the cancer and its treatment to at least be knowledgeable enough to follow along through her course. My mind is just so tired and I am having to go over the same things again and again before it makes any sense to me. I pray that I will be able to get a good understanding of the disease and how it is to affect my Ashley so that I may help her fight it by making the best decisions for her. At this time in my life I am all out of strength and what little bit I do have is not of me but it is coming from the Father.

Tonight as you remember to pray for my Ashley would you please include a few others. My Allie is so very sick. She will miss school again tomorrow. It was so hard to leave her last night knowing how ill she is. She is weak and running fever. Her throat is soar and she is so hungry but it hurts too bad to swallow. I would appreciate any prayers you would offer on her behalf. Some of Ashley's transplant friends are very sick and struggling this week also. Davian, Gabe, and Skyler could really use your prayers as well. This is such a hard road and I am reminded daily that it is not mine alone to walk. There are several other families who hurt and struggle for their children as they try to give them a chance to live this life as well. We are a close family in the halls of this PICU and we need to lift each other up in prayer daily. Your faithfulness to pray for our family is making such a difference in our lives. Thank you for caring enough to come again and again. You are all so loved. Trish

10 Comments:

At 6:30 PM , Blogger Carey said...

I will be praying for you and Ashley and Allie. I hope everyone has a restful night and feels much better and stronger in the morning. I am also praying for all of Ashleys friends in the NICU.
Im glad to hear her procedure today went well. Good luck with the oncologist tomorrow.

 
At 6:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, Trish. I so hope you can get some good deep rest tonight. I know it must be nearly impossible to make sound decisions on so little sleep. I'm sure that would make such a huge difference, if there is any way? We will pray specifically tonight for all the new treatment that is about to begin. God still can. He NEVER sleeps or slumbers (and still knows how to handle everything!) Take care of yourself this evening.

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Praying for all of you. I hate that Ali is sick, that is so frustrating and hard. It is not a fun thing to have sick children. Praying that all goes well tomorrow and that the PICU family is strengthened...100 fold.

 
At 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish: I am so glad she came through the procedure well. I pray for the treatment that is about to begin that the Lord will see her through.

I pray for your strength and rest as well. I know this is a common Scripture, but it keeps coming back to me and that is Proverbs 3:5-6.

Take care, precious one!

Shari

Eugene, Oregon

 
At 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An addendum: I am also praying for Alli too!

Shari

 
At 8:47 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm glad Ashley is doing well after the procedure. I hope the oncologist has some good answers and reassurance for you tomorrow!

I'll be praying for Allie and for Ashley's PICU friends; thanks for the update, especially when you're so sleep-deprived!

I hope you get some good rest tonight :)

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Paige said...

Trish,
I will be praying for all of you. I know you have been through an emotional whirl wind this weekend. Rest well in the loving embrace of God. Thanks for taking a moment to update us on what is going on. Goodnight!

 
At 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God the procedure today went well. I am praying that you can get some rest tonight. Praying for Allison to recover quickly also. I know you hate being away from her especially knowing she is ill. Our father in heaven knows all of our needs and he is in control. Praying that tomorrow will go well with the Chemo. God has a plan so just lean on his everlasting arms. We love you. I can't blame you for wanting to kiss those sweet little toes on Ashley. She is so adorable, such a fighter, and deserves the great parents that God blessed her with. Our prayers will continue you on. Love Always, Matt and Cindy Adams

 
At 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Ashley is always on my mind.I spent a small amount of time in the hospital with my son & nothing compared to you, but I will never forget how there is a whole world that goes on in there. The outside world seems oblivious to it. I remember the stressed families & the teenage mom who just didn't care, she swore at the nurses and hardly visited her baby. I stood in the hallway outside her door & tried to comfort her. It can be a place of such sadness. I bear that part of it with you, the friends that you make there that become part of your heart. I will pray for them & continue to pray for Ashley bringing her to the Father whenever I think her name. I will pray for strength & peace for her & that the procedures will go smoothly. Prayers for your dh & children that the days will pass quickly for them without you & that soon you will be together again. Love in Christ, Colleen

 
At 9:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray and loving you through it all. Praying so hard for Allie to get better and for you to get the rest you need. Praying Ash sleeps well tonight not only to prepare her body for tomorrow but also so that you can sleep. Praying for everyone there in the PICU - families and staff. Lifting you all up before the Father.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home