Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/15/2007

My Answered Prayer

I left Longview late last night and drove into the wee hours of the morning to get to Oklahoma City last night. Trish and I had some lengthy conversation during those wee hours. Trish began to prepare me for what I would find when I arrived. She told me that I would not find Ashley when I arrived. "She is not there Dave" I want you to be ready because she is not the happy playful baby you are used to. Trish knows my heart for Ashley and I know she was trying to protect me from the hurt. I was heartbroken as she described in detail the lack of interaction Ash is having with the world around her. She described how she screams and cries constantly and cannot be consoled. She described how Ashley's head was cut and bleeding because Ash has been clawing and scratching herself. She told me of the bruises on her head because she thrashes about in the crib and hits her head on the bars. As we discussed the Ashley I would find upon my arrival I felt my heart breaking.

I arrived at my destination and got to see some In laws, a nephew and a niece I have not seen in 7 months or so. I was only there for a couple of hours before catching a plane to Omaha this morning, but I was so thankful to get to spend some time with them. I layed down next to my niece and listened to her talk and tell me everything until I finally drifted off to sleep. I am now well caught up on her school and each and every pet that every family member has. It was so late I did not get to see Tommy, her gray cat, but I did get a wake up call from him around 5:30 this morning. I hopped on my plane and arrived in Dallas early this morning. Once in Dallas I called Trish to check on her and Ash. Our conversation picked up where it had left off last night. Trish again began to try to prepare me for an Ashley that was not the same as the one I left at Christmas time. She described how she will not make eye contact and she is completely unresponsive. She told me that Ash won't hold toys and has no interest or interaction with anything or anyone. She described the seizure like condition I would find Ash in and told me of how Ash was beginning to have strange seizures in her right eye. Trish told me of how she could not lay Ashley down without her screaming and crying in discomfort. Trish told me of how bad her back and feet hurt from standing and walking the room trying to console Ash for the last 13 days.

Keep reading because this is where my story starts to get good.

I had a long layover in Dallas so I found a spot to lay on the floor while I waited on my plane. I closed my eyes and said a simple little prayer. I asked God to please allow me to see my
Gherkin a tiny bit before the weekend was over. That was it nothing fancy, not long and eloquent just a simple plea that I might see some sign of my Gherkin before I had to return home. I then began to sing in my head (it sounds much better in there) Father, I Adore You.

I arrived in Omaha safely and when I entered the room I found Trish standing up rocking Ash trying to console her just as she has almost constantly for the last 13 days. Ash was whimpering and crying and acting just as Trish had prepared me for. Trish was talking with a visitor so I quietly slipped in and took Ash from her arms so she could have an easier conversation with her guest. I sat down in the chair with my
Gherkin and began to play my silly games with her. As described Ashley was not there. She thrashed her head about and would not look at me. She would not interact with me or the toys I had for her. Her arms shook and trembled as they randomly moved about. I continued to show her toys and play in spite of this and an amazing thing happened. After about 5 min I reached under my shirt and pulled out my necklace. Ash always loved to pull on it and try to rip it off my neck. She saw it and with a trembling unsteady hand she reached for it. I got Trish's attention and she looked over and could not believe she was watching Ash reach for something. I took my necklace off and held it in front of her and this time she reached out with both hands. This time her hands were a bit more steady. Over the next 5 min the tremors in her body were gone and she was intently playing with whichever toy I gave her. Trish was amazed. Then it happened, the biggest grin splattered her face. It was brief , but was there. And then another grin and she began to laugh out loud. Over the next 15 min we sat and played with a lot of toys and she laughed for me another 3 separate times. At one point we looked up and there were 4 nurses standing at Ashley's door wondering what was going on. They gathered because nobody was hearing Ashley scream.

She has been quietly laying in her crib for 20 min now while I typed this Blog.

Thank you God for answering my prayer above and beyond what I ever expected.

I am going to go now, I have a Gherkin to play with.

DAVE

32 Comments:

At 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! That is so wonderful. Praying for Ash to "be there". Praying for you all.

 
At 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus!!

 
At 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful! I am so glad Ashley's little personality was able to shine through for a little while today. We will continue to pray for all of you.

 
At 7:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great news to hear that Ashley had some fun moments with Mommy and Daddy today. Praise God that Dave made it safely to the PICU. I am praying that more positive changes will take place because I know the Great physician has the power to do so and I believe it to be his will. I pray for peace that passes all understanding to Mommy and Daddy. I know it has to be heartbreaking to see your precious child not acting herself. As a Mother I know that would tear me apart too. God knows how you are broken inside. I pray that he will comfort you and let you feel his ever loving hands all around you outstretching deep into Ashley's little body. I hope the sick family members are recovering by now. God bless you all. We love you guys!!! Love and prayers, Matt and Cindy Adams

 
At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't God good! Enjoy your weekend with Ash.

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I don't know why it always surprises me when God does something big, but it does. And this is BIG! I'm so glad for you both. I hope He continues to pull her out of whatever it is that has pulled her in.

I'm praying for you guys.

 
At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crying crocodile tears OF PURE JOY and PRAISING GOD! I love you all -GO GHERKIN GO! Grandma

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Praise God! Isn't He amazing--that He knows so well what we so desperately need and is willing to provide over and above?! I'm so happy for you!

 
At 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, PRAISE GOD!!!! Rejoicing with you...

 
At 8:37 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

That, kind sir, brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Lord for blessing you with your Gherkin! We are continuously praying for your family!

 
At 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God! It makes me cry to read this. I'm so glad Trish was still there - and you were both able to enjoy that special time with Ashley!

Marlain

 
At 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing David I have tears in my eyes as I read the last of this! God is so good! Hope to hear more of these reports! Prayers for your family always! ~Chandria~

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I have chills--GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME! I keep hearing this sentence and seeing even the smallest of miracles makes everything worth while! WAY TO GO ASHLEY, KEEP UP THE FIGHT! We love you! Praying for a restful and playful night, as well as a peaceful morning!

 
At 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do truly serve a MIGHTY, AWESOME God! He is so faithful, even in the little things. Thank you for sharing this with us, and may God continue to bless you!

 
At 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy to read this post...continuing to pray for more positive results in the days ahead. God is answering our prayers and yours!

 
At 9:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good all the time,Praises and more Praises to him. We are waiting to read more of Ashleys writing it was great.Hope the three of you have a great night together. Ashley keep mommy and daddy intertained. Love in Christ

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

What a sweet, sweet answer to prayer. God is good! Praying that you have a good weekend with Ash and that Trish has safe travels and a wonderful, wonderful time with Allie and Blake. Praying for all of you!

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, this post warms my heart.

Please know that Ashley and your family remains in my prayers.

 
At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chan called me tonight and told me to read the post and that it would make me happy. I am so glad I read it tonight instead of waiting until the morning. Praise God, is all I can think of right now. Sweet dreams Ashley. Love Remonica

 
At 11:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What marvelous news!!! Smiling~~Crying tears of joy. It just warms my heart to see how God works His great goodness. His love and mercy was revealed in and through little Ashley in such a special way. I was so happy when I read about the necklace, her grins and laughter. This is certainly an answer to many prayers.

Thank You, Lord, for safe arrival for Dave. I pray that Trish will be able to rest and relax with her best friend. I pray for Your protection as she travels to Dallas and that she will have a special time with Allie and Blake this weekend. I pray for Bobbie as she is sick and that you would grant a speedy recovery for her. Thank You, again, Father for Your wonderous deeds today for this family~~In Jesus Name~~~Amen

 
At 11:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so weird. I had already gone to bed and was so tired from a long day (I have no long days when I read what you do, Trish) and I went to bed. I had only laid my head on the pillow a few minutes and I thought, "I want to get up to check and make sure Dave got to Omaha ok and check on the girls." Much to my surprise (why are we surprised), God is working a miracle....again. I'm so glad I got up because now I can go back to bed praising God for what He has done tonight. Love you all!

 
At 11:59 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

We are so glad that you made it safely to Omaha, and that you got to play with your precious gherkin. I am sure the both of you needed to see that after the long week. My heart smiled when I read your post. Good night, and we will continue our prayers.

 
At 1:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lord, Jesus.

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Carey said...

How wonderful that is for you and Ashley. I bet she is so happy to have her Daddy with her once again.
Im praying for you all today.

 
At 7:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful news...enjoy every hug and kiss and smile she gives you this weekend...we are praying...

 
At 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God still answers prayers. Praying for you daily

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Mrs. C said...

Praise God!

 
At 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok..i'm crying...my tears won't stop...this is beautiful!!! absolutely beautiful!! thank you soo much for sharing ...once again....the miracles...the treasures in your lives. WHAT a wonderful blessing for you all!! GOD IS SOOO GOOD!!
safe travels for you trish...and i'm praying for the girls (and parents) of ETAS...safe competition for them. have a wonderful time.
still praying....

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger Connie said...

Tears running down my face! Praise God! Daddies are such a blessing, and they somehow impart peace and strength to their babies and wives. Still praying, but happy she's found some peace and rest.
Connie H.

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger preechrboy said...

We continue to pray along side of you Dave. Every night Joshua reminds me to pray for 'Baby Ashley' as I pray for his dreams. Even Isaac has adopted the name 'Baby Ashley' in order to distinguish her from any other 'Ashley' we know.
I'll be reading this report to them tonight before bed. I have a feeling we'll all be sleeping on a tearful pillow. PRAISE GOD for answered prayers.
Ps 56:8
"Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?"

 
At 9:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! What an answer to prayer! your prayer, my prayer, and those all over the nation have been answered today. we pray for continued improvement, and that Ashley will attack this cancer with a counter-attack like cancer has never before seen. :) God bless you and keep you and may you all get some wonderful rest tonight. Lots of Love and Prayers,
Laura and Rachel Roller

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home