Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/13/2007

MRI

Ashley will be going down to MRI at 4:00 today. They told me it would take about 45 minutes and that they would not have any results for me until tomorrow. They are looking for nodules in the brain. I am a little encouraged that they did not find any on the CT scan last week, but I know that it does not show soft tissue and the MRI will.

Its not very fun being me today. I walk through the halls and not many people know what to say. Most of them just ignore me, but a few of them give me looks that convey just how serious this must be. I know its not good. I can tell by the way they are all reacting to me.

The most concerning part to me at this point is the change in my sweet Ashley's personality. The behavioral changes scare us all. I knew there had to be some reason for all of her screaming and now I just pray that she was not reacting to the cancer. Today she isn't screaming. It seems as though some sort of peace has come over her and all she wants to do is rest. I wish she would smile or laugh or play. I really need to see that part of her come back so I know that all will be well. I know they suspect the cancer to be the cause of her recent changes. I know they think we will find it in the brain. I just pray and pray that what everyone is thinking is wrong.

The good things that I have found today are these: Ashley is not sick with an infection at this point. Her lungs are clear and she is breathing very well. She is on full feeds(something I am still in amazement over!), and she looks really good. If there was ever a time that she had to get cancer then now would probably be the best (if that makes any sense at all?).

Tomorrow's procedures will be difficult on her. I just spoke with the oncology assistant and signed the consent. The bone marrow biopsy is painful and she will not be happy once she wakes up. The spinal tap makes chills run up and down my spine probably because of the line of work that we are in. I just want to wake up from all of this and realize it was all a bad dream. Remember the dream I had about waking up at home the other night? How I wish that was our reality and not just my fantasy.

Needless to say as her mommy I want to make all of this go away. I don't want for her to endure any more pain. I just want her life to be filled with happy things. I wish I could do more than just rock her. My kisses on her fore head while she sleeps can't take all of this away from her.

It doesn't seem real to me that I am typing about cancer. I thought we were coming to Omaha for transplant. Sometimes life can surprise you and this cancer sure has, but so did the cardiac arrest. Who could have known? My prayer is that in some part of His plan He intends to use these surprises in Ashley's story for the good of others. It is really hard to see how this could all be good right now, but maybe someday I will look back and it will be clearly seen. Thank you for your encouragements and your prayers. I don't know how to do this on my own so I am really glad He gave you all to me. Take care and may God Bless you today. Trish

14 Comments:

At 3:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, I am a grandma from Illinois...My heart aches for you and for your sweet baby girl...The Lord is in charge yet, it still can seem hard...we must trust Him and lean on Him...but also He knows how weak we are and that sometimes we can be angry with Him...He is our Father He understands...

Know you are loved and being prayed for here in the heart land of Illinois....

 
At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear Trish, I am praying for you now- know that you have blessed so many lives by sharing darling Ashley with us through this journal. It hurts me to think of all the prcoedures tomorrow, and of the MRI: I know none of them are fun at all. There is so little to say...may God bless you my sister in Christ.

 
At 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers are being lifted here in Hawaii for Ashley's healing and comfort through these upcoming difficult procedures. Prayer's also for safe travel for daddy and peace for the whole family.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Staci Barham said...

Praying for good results from the MRI!!! I am constantly lifting you both and praying for the doctors, nurses, etc...to give Ashley the best treatment to fight this Giant. Love you both!

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I know you can fight this giant Little one.. dont give up, God will be there with you. I am Praying for the MRI to show "NOTHING"! that this will eventually be a bad dream and she will be in her crib and you will be by Dave's side every night! We are here-take a break and get some rest. We can do the Praying for you!

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Karen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Trish, I know this doesn't provide you with much comfort at this point, but please know that you have impacted more lives than can be counted through Ashley's Story. God has used you in a tremendous way that probably will never be measured until that day when you see Him face to face and He says, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." I know very few people--maybe not even any--that could handle all that you handle on a daily basis with such grace and patience and strength. We all know the Source of your strength, but we also know that not everyone would have allowed God to use them as you have. Know that you are loved and prayed for.

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Trish,
I have put Ashley on every prayer list I can think of...I know God has plans for Miss Ashley Kate. I pray you can build up the courage and strength to deal with anything coming your way. Love all the way in Tennessee,
Tamara

 
At 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard a few tell the story that when our children are in pain, the angels come to play with them. Whether that's true or not, we know that angels are around her as well as Christ himself. I just can't believe what I read last night. Mom and I both cried. I know we don't know each other well, but I wish with all my heart I could take the 2 hour drive to come see you today, but I really can't. You have the creator of the universe by your side, and that's better than anything I could say or do.

Continuing in prayer...
Dee
Isaiah 26:3-4

 
At 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ...Dave...sweet family...hang tight... God is carrying you through all of this....He is faithful. Your such examples of HIM.... Allie , Blake, & Ash are probably so proud to call you guys their parents.

 
At 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really know what to say. I am sitting here in shock with tears falling. I just knew that with her tolerating feeds, coming home was so close, and I am so sorry for all each of you are going through. I wish I could take it all away. I wish I had words that would make you feel better but I just don't know what they would be. Just know we are praying for all of you and I will be making my calls and sending my emails again to get all I can to join in with the already thousands of prayers being lifted for all of you. We love you guys and if you need anything please let us know.

 
At 5:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) and Prayers for Ashley and you! I am praying for all the test's that Ashley is fixing to endure. And a special peace for her mommy, daddy and the rest of her family. Thank you Trish for keeping us updated I know that it has to be so hard. I love that I can pray momment by momment for your family that has touched my heart in such a special way! ~Chandria~

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, nothing about this is good. But what amazes me is how God can take what's awful and use it FOR good! Someday, you will be able to stand in heaven and hold His hand, and He'll show you the complete spectrum of how he used Ashley's life--and yours--for good for more people than any of us can imagine.

But for today, I'm praying for Him to build a hedge of protection around your heart, to hold you up against this newest hard thing, and to further unite you and Dave so that your marriage is only made stronger through this.

I just wish there were something else I could do. Kiss that baby for us--I know we don't "know" each other, but after following her story for so long, I feel like that's my loss :)

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Trish, I've been praying for your family since I started reading Ashley's story, and my prayers continue for you now.

Know that people care and feel for you as you go through this time. Your endurance is a wonderful testimony to your faith. Hang in there!

With love from Missouri,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home