Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/13/2007

I thought I lost my Gherkin

Almost this time yesterday I was driving down the road and my phone rang. I answered to the sound of my wife crying. Sobbing... I immediately asked what happened and after finding out I was driving she asked me to pull over. Again I asked what was wrong and she insisted that I pull over. I thought this was the call, I thought I had lost my Gherkin. I persisted and she proceeded to tell me about the cancer. This news is horrible, but it seemed so mild compared to what I thought was coming. I am so thankful I did not hear the words I thought were coming. It is a blessing to know that she is still here and she continues to fight. I will continue to learn from her and her mother each day spends on this earth with us.

Change of subject:

Tomorrow is Valentines Day. A day who's purpose is to celebrate the love we share with others (as well as a conspiracy brought on by the flower shops and evil candy makers) This will be a unique Valentines Day for Trish and I. It will be the first time we have spent this day apart. But, you know what... It's OK. This year more than ever I know that it is not about cards and flowers and stuff, but it is about the love she has for me and I have for her. I can honestly say that I have learned to love my wife more in the last 4 months. I have seen her character unfold on the pages of Ashley's Story. I have seen her growth in Christ. I have seen her unfailing devotion to a little pickle. I have heard her laugh and heard her cry and heard her praise the name of Jesus more than ever. I have come to respect her on such a higher level for who she is and who she has become. So, tomorrow will not bring a card or a box of chocolate, I will not get to hold my wife's hand, I will not get to look into her eyes, I will not get to wear cologne and woo her with my scent, I will not get to run my hand through her hair, I will not get to place a comforting kiss on her head letting her know we are in this together, I will not get to see her give Blake and Allie Valentine presents, I will not get to hold Ash, I will not get show Ash how much her daddy loves her instead it will be filled with a love that runs deeper than ever before.

I LOVE YOU TRISH,

"Roses and raindrops and chickens with whiskers."


One thing I have learned from Ashley's Story and I hope you guys have as well is that there is no one on this earth more important than my spouse. I do not have a better friend or stronger ally.

DAVE

6 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying and beautifully said!
Happy Valentine's Day eve Trish and Dave!

 
At 6:48 PM , Blogger Carey said...

Im so glad you didn't have to hear those words you thought were coming. Shes a fighter.
And you are so right, Valentines Day is so much more than c=flowers and candy and cards. Knowing that there is someone who loves you whole heartedly is all that matters. And you know what, God loves you all too.
Happy Valentines to all of you. Im still praying for all of you.

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for both of you and thankful for the love you have for one another which is growing stronger each day that passes. What a blessing it is to see your bond so tight! I love you both and I'm praying for you constantly. Happy Valentine's Day Mom

 
At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, Dave and family, I have not written before but I have kept up with Ashley's story and have prayed for ya'll. I was so shocked and sorry when I read your news tonight. I will keep all of you in my prayers. May our Lord Jesus please give you comfort and peace, and dear Jesus please give them extra strength and faith. He promises to not put more on us than we can bear. 1 Cor. 10;13.
I am part of your church family. Bobbie Thuma

 
At 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are an amazing couple. What a testimony to marriage. When the world is filled with so many families who know divorce. God bless the present time....& the years that are to come for you guys. (=
If this time in your lives doesn't show what your made of....I don't know what else would. You both are such "lights" for HIM & inspiration to so many who follow your sweet pickle's story. (=

 
At 10:20 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Your love for each other and for your family is what keeps that little Gherkin going! It is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home