Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/17/2007

A jittery ball of jitters

I went to the house after work today and found my Ashley Kate looking absolutely fabulous. I was jumping around and acting goofy to entertain her and my foolishness was rewarded with the biggest best belly laughs I have ever heard from my Gherkin. It was a real blessing to my heart to see her interacting, laughing and generally loving her life. Living in the land of daisies and rainbows as I do I don't usually have room for any negative thoughts about my Gherkin's condition, however lately I have to admit I have been worried about what long term neurologic damage she may had suffered during her heart problems earlier this year. There are so many physical and mental skills she had before her heart operation that she has since lost. Yesterday I was so thankful to hear that she had clapped her hands. Today I was so excited to see another lost skill renew itself. One of Ash's favorite activities while stuck in the hospital bed was to take two cups and bang them together. Since her heart trouble she has not done that and has avoided having anything in her hands at all. Her hands have not been working together. Today I handed her a cup and she took it. So I handed her another and was surprised to see that she took it as well. Then she began to hit them together and laugh out loud. It is such a small thing to hit two cups together, but to me it was absolutely amazing. I was so proud of my Gherkin. I know without a doubt that once she has finished her chemo we will begin to see much much more progress. I am looking forward to the day her little body is free of so many of those drugs. As far as chemo goes, today was a tough day for Ash. She has been throwing up alot. She has worn more clothes today than I wore all of last week. She is having neurologic side effects to something which is causing her to have involuntary muscles spasms throughout her body. At one point Trish described her as a "jittery ball of jitters" which I think pretty well summed up how she looked today.

Today I thank God for all he has allowed our pickle to learn. For all blessings He gives me each day. For always being faithful to me and my family. For each person who continues reading Ashley's Story and continues to pray for our beautiful little pickle.

Goodnight,

DAVE

4 Comments:

At 11:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great that she is doing great. Just wanted to let you know that the jitters and vomiting can be dehydration. Jitters can be high sodium in turn from dehydration or electrolytes being off. Just thinking if they continue you may want to get a set of electrolytes checked. Because you can be pretty happy and playful and have electrolytes off.
God bless and we are all thinking of you often!!

NE PICU nurse

 
At 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog tonight- and my heart aches for you all. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your precious Ashley.

I know firsthand how heartbreaking it is to lose a child, and pray that you will not have to ever face that. May the Lord bless you all with a long happy life together.

Keep fighting little Ashley!!

(((((HUGS)))))

 
At 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again Dave. Keep up the good work and know we are all praying for your family!

 
At 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying always for Ashley...Colleen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home