Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

6/16/2007

A Day At the Beach


Living. That is what she wants to do. That is what we have decided to allow her to do. " A day at the beach" was just what the doctor ordered. How wonderful to slip away and enjoy the water, the waves, the sand, the experience. It was Ash's first trip to the beach and it is one of my all time favorites.

I sat in the warm sand today and smiled a big, goofy smile. I could feel it stretch across my face and just like sand warmed my toes the smile warmed my heart. Can you believe what you are seeing? I had to pinch myself more than once. This is our baby gherkin, our tiny pickle, our sweet Ashley Kate enjoying life. She just sat and watched the waves roll into the shore over and over again. We didn't dare touch her or even talk to her. Apparently she needed to concentrate on watching those waves. I wondered what she was thinking. Did she even know how miraculous the moment was?

Her Daddy took her into the water and let her feel the cool waves wash over her toes. I stood back and listened to her giggle as the water covered her feet. It was such a priceless moment. I could listen to her laugh forever. It brought me such joy to see her experience the ocean for the first time. I remember thinking to myself so many times that she had never even seen the ocean. Would she have the chance? Today God gave her that opportunity and I cried as I watched them down by the waters edge. Next to that great big ocean she is such a small piece of His creation, but He loves her so very much. As vast and as wide and as deep as the water was His love for my daughter is even more. What an amazing realization it was for me.

Dave and I have been to some amazing beaches. We have beautiful memories and photographs from our trips, but I promise you that I have never enjoyed at day at the beach as much as I did today. It didn't matter to me that we have aged this year. It didn't matter to me that we have yet to begin working on our tans. It didn't matter to me that our swimsuits from last season didn't seem to fit. It didn't matter to me that we were on the beaches of Texas and not the Bahamas or Mexico. What mattered to me was that our God cared enough about our baby girl to allow her to be here today to experience the murky waters of Galveston with her mommy, her daddy, her big brother, and her big sister. What mattered to me was that we were a family of five on that beach today enjoying life together.


We built sand castles. We wrote her name in the sand. We watched Allie do cartwheels along the waters edge. We pitched soft toss to Blake and watched him hit baseballs into the gulf. We pushed Ash in her stroller along the shore line. We fed the seagulls. We played. We relaxed. We praised. We enjoyed. We lived.

Tonight they are all tucked in. Everyone is sleeping and dreaming of the fun we will have together tomorrow. Everyone except for our pickle who is still playing. She is exhausted, but cannot sleep because of her prednisone. She sits on the bed and hits her daddy in the head with blocks. I know she is hoping for him to wake up and play all night with her, but I am pretty sure he is not planning to. I am getting ready to go lay down by her. I think I will stay up and play with her just because she wants me to.

We have two more days to play before we head back home. Tomorrow we will go back and do it all over again. I am so grateful to have been given today with her. God has blessed us over and over again and I can't wait to see what tomorrow will hold. Thank you for loving our baby today. Thank you for praying for our baby today. Thank you for continuing to be a part of Ashley's story. I pray you too have the chance to slow down this weekend and just enjoy His blessings. Take care and good night. Trish

10 Comments:

At 6:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful for your family. God is good-all the time! I'm praying for another blessed day for all of you.

In Him,
Becky from Kalamazoo (yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!)

 
At 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day just enjoying family and all God has blessed you with! I hope the rest of you stay there goes just as wonderful!~Chan~

 
At 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praising God for how far He has brought dear Ashley and for His promised faithfulness ahead... and keeping all of you ever in my prayers! Much love in Christ...

 
At 9:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been reading your blogs for awhile and when I was working I was constantly telling people about your babies (all of them). I was giving people the ashley cards, I was giving updates. And then I'd sit and cry as I read your posts. Your faith, your strength, your family's strength, the joys, the yuckiness, everything. Reading about you, makes me a better mom. I'm praying for all of you and hope that you all hear the words that you long to hear soon!!

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger Valarie said...

I hate to admit this but it's been a few weeks since I checked in on your sweet gherkin. I kinda held my breath as the blog came on and then I had to sit and blink to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing! That sweet baby girl sitting on the beach!! GOD IS AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!

I'm so glad to see how well she's doing and that ya'll are able to take a much needed "breather" in all that you've been thru. Thanks for sharing this incredible story of God's faithfulness with us!!

God bless your family and your sweet time together!

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger Amy said...

This may very well be my most favorite post ever! WHAT a BLESSING! I will never forget taking Morgan outside for the first time and seeing her smile as the wind hit her face. She LOVED the wind! It was like watching her welcome an old friend... like a promise, whispered from God, and then fulfilled. May Ashley's "Ocean Days" be a sweet reminder of God's promises!

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Paulette said...

Wow, I love Galvaston and have wonderful memories as well. My son was there for beach camp with church.
Ashley is so adorable, thankyou for sharing those pics. I know about the presnadone my Ashley lived on it for the first years of her life and we never ever slept. I know exactly what you are talking about. Both our Ash's are miracles.
Mine just turned 22 and yours will as well.
Have a wonderful time and tell Galvaston I will see her soon!!

 
At 2:21 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

I'm sitting here bawling like a big baby...precious moments in time...
dawnz

 
At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! Sounds like you all are having a wonderful time. Keeping you in our prayers!

Blessings,
Lori

 
At 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You complained about the murky waters of Galveston instead of the Bahamas? Where is Bahama??????? Poor people from up north call it great and wonderful. You are truly blessed and we wonder if you even know it, really?
Happy for Ashley to have been so cute and happy on the beach. Beautiful pictures and writings. Glad you got another great holiday get away. And I really do beleive that God has been all powerful to do the healing in her life. He is to be praised in deed and word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home