Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

7/22/2007

The Nursery

Tonight I tucked the girls into their room for the first time together. The nursery is an adorable little room that sits inside of Allison's room. From the first moment we walked through our house I could envision the nursery tucked inside of what at that time was the closet to what would become Allie's room. I'm sure you may be doubting how adorable a nursery inside of a closet could actually be, but I assure you it in no way resembles a closet. You would have never guessed it was once a closet if I hadn't told you. Anyway, my girls are both in their beds, inside the room that they share for the very first time, and I am loving the feeling it gives me.

We remodeled the huge closet in Allison's room shortly after Ashley was born. The kids helped us knock down walls and build doll house units(that store Ash's clothes and linens. They are the sweetest things you have ever seen!) and paint and decorate in anticipation of Ashley's arrival. We had no idea that we would have to wait for six months before she ever came home to see it. Allie asked night after night when Ash would be home so they could begin sharing their room. Once Ash did come home she was so fragile and so ill that we were never able to tuck her into the crib inside of the nursery. She had to be placed in a crib in our room, next to our bed instead. Allie tried to understand, but she was broken hearted. Several nights we spent our tuck in time talking about how much she was looking forward to Ash being in their room so she could help take care of her. She talked about how she couldn't wait for Ash to be big enough to want to sleep next to her. She was really looking forward to having her close by.

Last night was Ashley's first night to sleep in her nursery. She will be two in less than two weeks. She spent exactly one year of her two sleeping in cribs inside of ICUs. The other 11 and 1/2 months she has been next to us in our room. Last night I got brave enough to lay her down in the crib that was once Blake's, and then Allie's and is now hers. It was built almost 12 years ago by her daddy. She slept peacefully while I sat up and watched to make sure she was safe. This morning I went in to wake her up around 9 and I found her sleeping with both hands behind her head. She was just so cute and she looked as if she was always meant to be there.

Allie came home today. Tonight I tucked her into bed and then went and picked up her baby sister. As I brought her into the nursery to place her in the crib I could see the smile spread across that big sister's face. She had waited so long and I was thrilled to watch out of the corner of my eye as she nestled herself under her quilt and readied herself to be on "call". I have no idea if Ash will always be welcome in their room, but for now she is exactly where she belongs. After two long years of anticipation I can only imagine what dreams are dancing around in my nine year olds head.

11 Comments:

At 11:55 PM , Blogger Paulette said...

This is sooooo heartwarming. I smiled the whole time I read this!! How precious that they are together at last. Cannot wait to hear how it goes. Ashley is so lucky to have Allie for a big sister, I pray they always have an unbreakable bond.

I hope they are both having sweet dreams and mom too!

I think I recieved my picture from Allie today! I have a package at the post office waiting and it was closed today. I have a small lock mail box and I'll bet it did not fit, so I cant wait to go in the morning to collect it. I hope that its there anyway!!

 
At 12:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Allie can announce to everyone, Ashley is really home where she belongs because she is in her/our room at last. How wonderful is that?? Oh what great times are ahead for those two. When Ashley and Allie start their never ending late night talks, that will tell the story of just how those two were meant to be sisters. This first night together is one of many, many firsts for Ashley. Thank you, Lord, for sweet and precious days and nights to come~~~Sweet dreams~~

 
At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing to get finally see that come to pass. God is so good. (= Have a great day!(=

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Precious. And oh so blessed.
d:)

 
At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was once again one of the most precious post you have journaled. I can only imagine the joy that must have been not only in your heart but in Allie's. May God continue to pour His blessings on your family! How mighty and awesome He is and we give Him the glory for all He has done and will continue to do!

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

How precious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise God!!!!!!!!! I bet they both will share a MUCH stronger and unshakable bond as sisters! I know in my own life the relationships that have been tested and tried have become so precious to me because I realize what a gift they truly are. Sunshine

 
At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you feel about this but I know I would love to see pictures of the nursery/Allie's room!!! :) I want to see the dollhouse wardrobes too! :)
Love,
Tam

 
At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see a pic of the doll house shelves. Sounds like something I would love for my daughter.

I love reading Ashley's story. And she stays in my prayers.

Lacey - AL

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

How sweet and how special for Allie (and Ashley!). How exciting! It's almost like a new way of life, isn't it? So happy for you guys!

 
At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome- thanks for sharing this heartwarming story. It's a night that Allie will probably never forget.
Sweet dreams, everyone.
Megan

 
At 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sooo sweet! I just finished making my grandson a "cubby" of his own off the living room in the coat closet area and it it just so satisfactory to the soul to get something that cute out of just a space and a small one. Your closet is much bigger. I am proud Ashley and Allie are roomamtes now. My sister and I always were and I wouldn't take for that time. Even on her bratty days :) Ashley sounds and looks great. things are certainly looking up, aren't they? God is so good.
Jan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home