Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

7/21/2007

She's A Happy Girl


In the early days of our sweet Ashley Kate's life, the days before we had even met our tiny baby girl we prayed this prayer, "Father, let her be happy. Please allow her to give and receive love. " This was our prayer. We had prayed and pleaded with God for days and days. In the beginning Dave and I were given no access to her. We had no idea what obstacles she was facing. We had no idea how medically fragile she was. We only knew that she was here and that we loved her. My prayer quickly became, "let her be happy." When you are faced with the unknown and the list of possibilities is endless you quickly decide what is most important to you. This is what we decided on and this is what we prayed.

Each day as I look on her smiley face I reminded how much God loves us. He hears our prayers and He answers them. Oh, He may not always answer in the way I would like for Him too, but He does answer and in this instance He did allow her to be so, so happy. My Ashley has joy and happiness that spills out all over her face. All I do is say her name and she shares this amazing smile with me. She does so much more than give and receive love. God is good and He is faithful.

Today I am looking at my little one and realizing that she is now a big girl. In just two short weeks she will enter into toddler hood. She may not actually be toddling, but she is no longer a baby. She knows what she wants and she knows how to get it. Flash that smile, and presto we give in to her every whim. The other night at dinner as I was "forced" to hold open and read Good Night Moon for the millionth time as I tried to eat. I told Dave, "This child is out of control." He laughed and replied, "No she's not. She is in complete control and we are the ones who are out of control. We have lost it." How true! I just love her and her Good night Moon even if it is in the middle of dinner.

She has had a wonderful day. She awoke very happy and ready to begin her new schedule. This was her first day without being connected to her feeding pump for 20 hours straight. It was so exciting to see her experience her new freedom. She is now eating 3 meals a day and receiving 2oz. of formula in a bolus feed after she finishes her food. This allows her to be free from her feeding tube and pump until 7:00 p.m. She has done great! In just 3 weeks she will have earned herself another 3 hours of freedom as we stretch her tummy into taking 3 1/2 oz after her meals. Then she will only be connected from 10 until 10 allowing her an entire day without ANY thing being connected to her. Along with her new feeding schedule she is on a nap schedule as well. I wake her at 9a.m. and she eats her first meal at 10. After her mid morning meal she plays for an hour and then goes down for a two hour nap. Upon waking she plays another hour before her second meal and then spends the next two playing. At 4:00 she goes down for her second nap and is awakened at 5 to play for an hour before dinner. Then she stays up until 10 where she is hooked up to her pump, meds are given and she goes down to sleep (hopefully without Blue) until the next morning. We have had 2 full nights of sleep and it has been wonderful! Can you see me smiling? I love life without chemo! This is the first time she has been on any type of schedule in over a year. I am a happy mommy, and she of course is a happy baby.


I feel myself relaxing and breathing easier. It is wonderful. I know that we still have many, many obstacles ahead of us, but I also know who God is and what He has done so far in her life. She's a happy girl and her eyes, her smile, and her countenance reflect that. What more could a mommy ask for?

16 Comments:

At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks wonderful! God is always good.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Trish-
She is so cute and looks so healthy! I am so happy to hear all this news. God is so good to us and I give Him all the praise and glory for all He has done in her sweet little life.
Take care-
Shari

 
At 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That little toot is just as cute as she can be!!!!!!!! What a face!!!!

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Wow - what a GREAT picture - joy just explodes in her! Thanks for this post - it is SO awesome to follow this journey! Sunshine

 
At 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I know that you are enjoying her new found freedom. She will only get happier!! To be free from the feeding tube is a great thing!!! ( we have some experience with that) I am so excited for the new schedule, the new foods to explore, the naps, the freedom!!! I just want you to know I rejoice for you and no obstacle is to big for OUR GOD. Trish, I see Him in her smile:) God's blessings and peace this weekend. Hug her soon to be two year old neck for us here praying. Our God is like no other, He makes beauty from ashes, hope where there is only despair. How lucky are we to know Him and find out Ashley's story. Good night, Colleen

 
At 1:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Schedule?!!! Wow! What a blessing. And what a good Mommy and Daddy she has (not to mention a great brother and sister). It takes diligence on everyone's part to follow a schedule. I know you can do it, and I'll be praying that you are not (overly) tempted to enjoy her too much when she should be sleeping. (I have that problem with my granddaughter!)

Congratulations to you and Ashley!
Love, Mary

 
At 8:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite pic so far of sweet Ashley.

 
At 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooooooo glad to hear you can finally relax and enjoy her. She is such a special child. So beautiful. What a gift from God! Love, Pam

 
At 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is indeed happy and all who even just see her picture can't help but smile!! She is so sweet and the love that has been poured into her radiates through her eyes, her smile and her whole face. She is too cute! We are so glad to hear of her progress and new schedule and foods and outings, etc. What a blessing. Love and prayers, Lou Ann

PS Allie, I love my "Waves of Grace" - it makes me smile and I pray for all you whenever I see it!

 
At 5:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a WONDERFUL update! I love the picture!

 
At 8:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks soooo beautiful and happy. I absolutely LOVE this picture of her!!! And I am soooo proud for your happy, healthy family! Regina D.

 
At 8:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful little princess.....Just beautiful!! (=

 
At 11:19 PM , Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said...

She is happy because she is sooo loved:)

 
At 11:26 PM , Blogger TheRagan3 said...

what a fantastic update on Sweet Ashley. I pray that your schedule works out for you. Thanks to the Father for the way that He is working in all the details. He shines thru her (and you!)
Erinn

 
At 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, thank you for your openness in sharing about sweet Ashley. I have never met her in person, but I am so blessed to see God's hand in her life and to have the privilege of praying for her. Praise God- she is looking absolutely wonderful! What a beautiful girl she is. I am so excited to hear of her progress! May the Lord bless your family.

In Christ, Julia

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

She is a beautiful girl! What a smile! So glad she's joyful. And so glad you can start a routine with her.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home