Worth the Wait?
I am experiencing technical difficulties and I know it is only happening because I said I would share pictures with you this afternoon. I have been trying forever to get them to post and this is the only one that has worked so far. For some reason blogger isn't allowing me to post multiple pics today. This isn't even the best one. It just happens to be the only one this silly computer will accept for now. So here she is. Sitting and reading books while watching Blue this morning after her bath.
I know her daddy has been standing in line to see her playing in the pictures today so he will definitely not be disappointed that only one will post. I'm sure he will think that it was "worth the wait". I will continue trying to figure out what is up with my blog, but if I can't get it to work then you will just have to forgive me.
Ash is able to sit without support for about 45 seconds. This is actually a huge accomplishment after being flat on her back for 13 days. I was so proud of her. Her body was really shakey and she was afraid to lift her head up, but she actually put her hands on the bed to help stabilize herself. We have been "practicing" several times today and she is now resting from all her hard work. I am hoping it wont take too long for her to regain her strength once she is off of the ventilator. Her rate on the vent is down to 6. This means the machine is only providing 6 breaths per minute for her and she is doing all the rest on her own. From my count she is taking 8 or 9 shallow breaths and then she gets one big breath from the vent and then the cycle starts again. She is really, really close to doing it all on her own. The silly thing is that she was on a rate of 4 before we attempted extubation Sunday and she was doing great. That is until we took the vent away and then she tired out and couldn't keep it up. I think they are going to try again this weekend. All of the data tells us she should be successful, but thats what we thought last weekend as well. I guess after seeing all she went through Sunday I am just a little nervous about trying it again. Like the doctor said, "We won't know for sure is she will be successful until we remove it and she proves that she is. Failure is just the risk that has to be taken."