Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/17/2008

Sprinting

Ash has been sprinting on the vent through the night. That basically means that they turn the settings on the vent so that she is required to do all of the work herself. She made it through the first hour with beautiful blood gases. Her respirations were in 50-60 range which made the nurses nervous and cause them to turn the machine back on. Ashley's normal respiration range is 50-60. I tried to share that with them because I've been doing this a long time with Ash and I know her very well. She has always had a hight respiration rate. 50-60 is something we don't even get concerned about because that is her normal.

At midnight I was told they were doing another sprint. They gave me a good report on her blood gases, and then at 4am I was told they would do another one and check her blood gases at 6. This morning I was told they didn't allow her to sprint those two times. Why? No answer. It just wasn't done. I am a little confused and frustrated. The doctor wanted those sprints to prove that she could breathe on her own in order to remove the breathing tube this morning. All of that has been canceled and I am not happy about making Ashley Kate awake and alert all day yesterday and now all day today for nothing. If we have no plans of removing the tube and allowing her to breathe on her own then I would like for her to be comfortable. I guess thats just the mom in me.

Ashley has been on a ventilator many, many times in her life and has never been made to do sprints. She has met all of the required setting on her vent and looks good. I'm not sure why they are doing things different this time. I don't want her to fail extubation, but I really do believe she is ready. If she's not then lets turn her drips back up and make her comfortable.

I have positioned her in the bed so that she can watch Blue this morning. She hasn't seen it on over 10 days and although she can't smile I think she is enjoying it. She continues to shake her head "no,no" and to cry big tears every time someone approaches her. Being suctioned down her breathing tube is the worst. Now that she is awake she can feel it every time it passes down her throat and it hurts. She is coughing more and more against the tube and this causes her to be suctioned more and more. I just want this part of her recovery over with.

Please pray with me about getting Ash off of the vent. She would be much more comfortable without it down her throat. It is a huge hurdle for her to cross over, but I was a sprinter and a hurdler so I believe she can do this! To tell you the truth she is a lot more determined than I ever was so I know she can do this!

16 Comments:

At 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO LITTLE PICKLE GO!!! You can do it. Keeping you all close in prayer. God Bless..Karen

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Fiffer said...

Well, Trish, I wouldn't have guessed that you were a great sprinter because to me, you are pretty incredible at running marathons. The endurance you have shown through this latest marathon is inspiring. Thank you for letting us "watch" you run and being a part of your marathon through prayer. God is being glorified through your family!

Hearing about Ash's crocodile tears makes me want to cry them myself. I'm so sorry. I look forward to the day when those tears are tears of joy, when she is laughing so much she can't keep the happy tears from spilling down her cheeks...all in your little yellow house. I am praying that the five of you can be back there soon!

Love, Martha

 
At 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRASE BE TO GOD ON HIGH FOR HIS INDESCRIBABLE GIFT! I will pass this on to the Sunday School class this morning.

I have been praising God for the Faith in Him that you and Dave continue to stand on, for His healing through the wonders of modern medicine, and for the love that you guys have for Ashley.

Phillip S. Hull
From WARM San Antonio!

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for the update, ive been praying for her. And i will continue to pray. I pray she can be comfortable in her circumstance, and be able to get off the vent and heal, so she can go home with you.

 
At 9:10 AM , Blogger HennHouse said...

Praying for the sprinter and the former sprinter who now runs marathons.

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from a snowy Kansas City. I'll pray for her at church this morning to get off that vent. Love, Stephanie

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Praying for everything to continue to improve and the vent to be gone soon. Praying for you too Trish, for peace and your heart to get through this. I know you will.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Keri said...

Yes, I'll be praying with you to get her off the vent pronto! And that's awesome news that her breathing is looking so much better!

I just returned home from church this morning, whereI thought about you throughout the whole sermon. If you find yourself with any free time on your hands this week, and your internet connection will allow it, I believe you'd find it a blessing to watch the sermon online. It's at www.southeastchristian.org. I believe they usually put the latest sermon onlnine sometime on Monday or Tuesday. The topic is "Who Will Strengthen Me?"/"I Am the Vine." Obviously, the focus of the sermon is relying on God for strength by abiding in Him. Obviously, this is something you've learned to do very, very well, but with the last couple of weeks you've had, it might encourage you to hear the sermon on this topic.

 
At 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this yet I just know that things will be better for you both today! Well I am sure praying for that!! Hang in there Trish, you are amazing and so is little Ashley!
While the tears break my heart and I KNOW they are breaking yours, it's a sign that she is still fighting...so YAY!!! ;O)
Praying for comfort for both of you today.
Still praying you both home!!!
Thank you Jesus!
~Okla

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

You bet she can do this - we are praying and cheering her on! Sunshine

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for Ashley to get off of the vent very soon. Praying for you guys to go home soon!

Jennifer in OKC

 
At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,

Can you explain this, or say you want this done? I know when my son was in the hospital how frustrating it can be thru different changes of people ,making different decisions.
You know her best.
Praying....
lee

 
At 10:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Father God for continuing to have your Blessed hands on Ashley. Continuing to have faith that you will heal her lungs and continue to drain the fluids. please make it possiable to remove the vent today. Prayers said for mom and dad for calm and comforts.

 
At 10:54 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

I am praying for you all and those doctors!

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger Judy said...

I can feel you frustration!! I will be praying for your sweet daughter and your family.

 
At 11:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for sprints and hurdles to be made!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home