Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

7/22/2008

So much fun!

Life with Ash is just so much fun. I know your all aware of the hard times we go through with her frailty, but when its not hard its just plain FUN! We have laughed more, smiled more, giggled more, and enjoyed life more in the last three years than we ever had before her birth. She radiates a joy and happiness in our home and its absolutely contagious.

I find myself smiling all day at this tiny pickle. Last night she had Dave and I laughing at her antics as we tried to fall asleep. She is ornery and stubborn. She is sweet and silly. She is so, so wonderful. I love her so very much.

She finds joy in the simplest of things. Tonight she played with a pile of laundry for over an hour. She hummed and giggled at each piece. She tried to dress herself in Allies clothes and wore several pieces as hats for awhile. She would throw them across the floor and then scoot(she just started scooting forward today! Can you believe it?) to where they landed and try them on all over again. I couldn't help but get great joy out of her happiness with that pile of laundry.

Her voice is beautiful! Shes not saying words, but she is making lots and lots of verbal sounds. Her only mastered phonetical sound is "b", but she is whispering and grunting and humming and squealing. We are all so thrilled about this. It is one of the best things that has happened in our family. We hare all so encouraged by the sound of her voice. Blake and Allison are so happy and they truly believe that she will be talking some day.

Tonight she impressed us by swallowing a few grains of rice at dinner without gagging. I know it sounds like her progress is small, but its the small things that are going to lead her to the big ones. Rice! Ashley has not been able to tolerate any type of texture without vomiting. Ever! To see her swallow those 3 or 4 grains like there was nothing to it was absolutely amazing. She is eating 3 or 4 meals a day and doing so well. She sits and finishes complete servings like a big girl now. Her meals consist of about 70-100 calories each. She is also allowing me to combine several different foods for a meal. She will eat a meat and a vegetable and a fruit.

I have had such a wonderful summer watching her with Blake and Al. They spend hours playing with her, encouraging her, holding her, and working with her. What joy I feel as I see her eyes light up while she hangs out with them. They love her so very much and what is even more amazing is that she loves them just as much. We are so blessed.

Its been a really good day. Full of fun and laughter. She has really kept us on our toes and I can't wait for the day that we have to chase her around to keep her out of trouble. Well, she has therapy with Ms. Sue tomorrow so I guess its time for her to get some sleep. I'm giggling to myself as I type because I know that sleep will not come for quite a while. She has many more tricks up her sleeve tonight(I can see the twinkle in her eyes). Wish us luck. Goodnight and God bless. Trish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home