Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/17/2009

Better Day?

I think perhaps it might be a better day for Ashley Kate. I mean, she's awake and its not even noon! Yesterday she didn't wake until after 6pm. In addition to being awake she is sitting up on my bed and playing. All of these things lead me to believe that we may have made the right decisions yesterday.

She hasn't been vomiting since we stopped her feedings. She's still coughing, but if there is nothing in her stomach to come up with it then it doesn't produce vomiting. Running the TPN 24 hours seems to be giving her more energy and her color looks better to me today than it has the previous 3 or 4. I'm hoping in a few days, with a little bit of sleep and some more calories that she might start turning the corner and start feeling better. We will have to wait and see.

So I loosely titled this post "better day" and followed it with a question mark. It depends on what you put it up against. She's awake, has color in her cheeks, is sitting up, and isn't vomiting. That seems like its a better day. If you take into account the fact that the whole point of transplanting her bowel was so that she might take nutrition, absorb it, eat, and grow without the use of TPN and the side effects it has on the liver then you might not be able to call it a "better day".

I'm not going to look at the big picture today. Instead I'm going to take baby steps with Ash and be grateful to see her awake, interacting, playing, and watching Blue. The whole feeds vs. TPN issue will be tackled in a few days. First we need to give her a chance to start getting over "this" whatever "this" happens to be.

Just wanted to let you guys know that she seems to be feeling a little better this morning and that it looks like she won't miss out on today by sleeping through it. For those things I'm thankful. Have a great day. Trish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home