Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/13/2006

Another Trip

This morning during rounds we decided to plan another trip to the OR. Ashley is still requiring a G-J tube to be placed at some point so that we can begin to feed her bowel but not risk vomitting from the stomach. We have been trying to decide what is in her best interest. Should we rehab her lungs and remove the ventilator first then take her to surgery or would it be easier on her to just go to surgery while on the vent now? Today I think it has been decided that since she has stabilized on the vent over the weekend that we will go to the OR this week. I am a little nervous since we have failed to place this before, but I am confident in the skill of her doctor. I asked him if he was ready to go head to head with her again and he replied he is going for the best out of three. So far he and Ash are tied 1 to 1. I pray that he will win this next battle so we can feed this little one and get rid of her TPN.

I think Ashley looks awesome this morning. Her swelling is gone from her face and her eyes are bright, shinining, and awake. She is full of spunk and causing as much trouble as she possibly can while tied to the ventilator. She is trying to teeth on a camel from her nativity set, but she is having trouble fitting it into her mouth along with the breathing tube. She has been pulling hair from anyone who leans down close enough to her, and it just makes me laugh. I know I should try to correct this behavior, but honestly I love seeing her awnry personality coming back. The nurse is a little concerned because we are going to give her a blood transfusion and this will only give her more energy. I can't wait to see what trouble she gets into after that. Ash wants to get up off the bed, but it depends on what nurse you are assigned and their level of comfort moving her while in the vent. I will probably not get to hold her until tonight, but she is ready and willing for anyone to pick her up at this point. She keeps reaching out to anyone who is close enough letting them know she would like to be held. I am so thankful for the "trouble" she is getting into today. It just shows me that He is continuing His work in her little body and in her life.

I was just told that we will go to the OR tomorrow at 1:00p.m. Please pray for our "gherkin" that all will go well, and pray for me to experience peace and calm during her trip to surgery. I am praying for success this time and I would like for her doctor to win this one. Take care.

3 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it's so good to hear that you're doing better today, Ash! I know God is healing that little body of yours - how I wish I could still be there seeing your personality come out. I'm so thankful that you're making your mom smile - she needs that so much these days. Please tell her that I miss her and love her and hope to see you both really soon! I'll be praying for you both as you go back into surgery. You keep that sweet doctor in line this time, you hear me? I love you, honey. Hugs, Grandma

 
At 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count on us for prayers . . . we also join with you in praying the Doctor wins this round!! It is good to hear Ash is being her "awnry" self and that she is reaching out. God always has his way of letting us know He is in control. The next couple of weeks will bring lots of good things so that you will have lots of specifics to be thankful for on Thanksgiving Day. Gonna be a good two weeks, Trish . . . I can feel it. God speed . . .Lettie

 
At 6:17 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

We are so thankful for the wonderful memories you have made while David and Blake were there to visit. I believe God gives us these precious little gifts to help us get through the rough days. We are constantly in prayer for you and Ashley, as well as David, Blake, and Allison. Our prayers tonight and tomorrow will be that God guides the hands of Ashley's doctors and nurses during her surgery tomorrow so that they can successfully place the G-J tube. We will be praying for your strength and peace while she is in the OR tomorrow. Continue making those wonderful lasting memories with your precious little gherkin. THANK YOU GOD for another day with Ashley!!! Much love and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home