Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/15/2006

Gifts from the Heart

I love gifts! I love to give gifts, I love to get gifts, everyone already knows how much I love to wrap gifts. I hope this doesn't make me sound like a shallow person. I just know that a well planned gift, one that speaks to someones heart can really make an impact on a life. The key to giving a good gift is listening. It didn't take long for us to figure out what my love language was. You guessed it, "gift giving". Some of my favorite Bible verses talk all about gifts. "Every good GIFT and every perfect GIFT comes from above", "Thanks be to God for His indescribable GIFTS!" "..it is the GIFT of God, not of works lest any man should boast." I really believe there is nothing wrong with giving and receiving gifts. The Father Himself is a giver of gifts to those He loves.

Today as I went over to check the mail I received a package that was sent from J.A.C. What does that stand for you may be asking yourself? Trust me when I tell you I knew exactly who it was from. James Avery Craftsmen. My favorite jeweler! When I opened the little box found inside of the envelope my heart began to smile. He listened! (Trust me when I tell you that he hasn't always heard me when I tell him what I would like to have. One year for my birthday I received a pair of wind shield wipers from him. Can you believe that?) Dave did it! Inside of the box was the most beautiful silver bracelet I have ever seen. Attached to the bracelet were two charms. The first charm was a cross, and the second charm was a baby angel. On the back of the angel charm was engraved 9-26-06. Each charm represents a gift that has been given to my family. The first charm represents the most important gift in our lives. The gift of Jesus. His sacrifice on the cross gave us the gift of eternal life and a relationship with the Father for all eternity. The second charm represents the gift of life that was given to our Ashley. Both gifts give life. Both gifts came from the Father. Both gifts were undeserved, but given from a heart filled with love and mercy. Both gifts gave a us a second chance. If I never receive another gift in my life I would not complain. God has given to me more than I could have ever hoped for.

The gifts that I cherish the most are the ones that come from the heart. The ones who make it into my heart. Jesus. Salvation. Forgiveness. My husband. My son. My daughter Allison. My daughter Ashley. My family. My friends. Our donor family. My sisters. My church. My list could go on and on. This journal has become a gift I would have never expected. The outpouring of love and concern from all over the world has touched me and made it into my heart. Each one of you who come to Ashley's story has made it into my heart. The prayers and encouragement from each of you has become a treasured gift. I know this gift comes from your heart. Thank you for giving to me and to my family. Your "gifts" mean so very much to us.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this journal is a gift for us as well...being able to see in the heart of your struggles and your triumphs..and truly be able to pray specific prayers on your behalf!! this journal...or should i say ...future autobiography of ASHLEY...or.."The Diary of Ashley"...haha...is an amazing gift she will treasure for years..and share gladly with her children and grandchildren!! You truly are a wonderful gift giver!! giving the gift of a legacy of christianity!! Ashley is so blessed to have you!! still praying..

 
At 1:44 PM , Blogger Katy said...

I got chills reading about the bracelet. Each gives life, bless your hubby's heart. So sweet.

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger Jill said...

I've been reading your blog for weeks(found you through In the Midst of It) and you are in my town and of course in my prayers.
In fact the apartment you are going to be living in soon is very near our home. It's right around the corner from the Gym I go to.
If you need any Omaha help- like grocery store info, church info or anything please email me and I will be glad to help out.
I have three children too: 9,6 and 3 and am blessed to stay home with them. You are at a great hospital, I know a few doctors and nurses who work there.
Glad to hear Ashley is turning the corner.
Jill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home