Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/16/2006

Sleepy Baby

Ash has been the sleepiest baby today. She took her morning nap at 11:00 and didn't wake up until 6:00. We continued taking her vitals to check and see if something was going on, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary except for how sleepy she was. We took a chest x-ray and have run some more labs and now guess what Ashley is doing, she is sleeping again. I have a feeling we might be up playing all night.

She continues to struggle with her oxygen levels. While she sleeps she sats around 98%, but when she wakes she drops into the 80's. She is still on 2 liters of oxygen and this is keeping us here on the pediatric floor. I am praying that she will be able to breathe room air and get to full feeds by Christmas Eve. She has not had any vomitting today with the increase in her feeds and I am so thankful for that. She is now up to 20ccs and it will take until next Friday to get to 55ccs. As long as she doesn't struggle with the nausea we could possibly make it out of here in time for Christmas.


Tonight while she sleeps I have found myself in a dilemma. Which Christmas movie should I watch? Each channel is showing a different one. Should I choose a classic like "Its a wonderful Life", or something like "Elf", "Home Alone", or "Prancer"? I could just sit back and enjoy "Finding Nemo", but if I choose any of these then I would have to miss out on the 2 hour episode of "Little People, Big World". What am I supposed to do?" I would much rather be in my home listening to carols playing, baking cookies with the kids, wrapping gifts, and snuggling on the couch with my best friend while the candles flicker on the mantle. Instead of watching T.V., I think I will just sneek over to the crib and pick up my sweet Ashley Kate so I can snuggle up with her in our favorite recliner. Maybe I'll read her the Christmas story. I find myself becoming absorbed in the details of His birth more this year than ever before.

Two of our sweet friends have left the hospital and they will be spending a special Christmas with their families. Caroline and Davian have made it out in time Christmas and my heart smiles for them. I feel a sense of emptiness and I find myself a little lonely now that we have left the PICU. I know that sounds silly, but the nurses had become my friends as well as the other families down there. A couple of them stopped by to visit and it sure made me smile!

I am counting the days until the kids arrive. It is now less than a week away! I know that it really won't matter where we are for the holiday. As long Jesus shows up to our celebration then it will be blessed. Traditional or not we will all be together, and that will be my favorite gift of all!

1 Comments:

At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

precious baby girl. I love picturing her sleeping peacefully with her mama.... seeing you two snuggling in a recliner somewhere in Nebraska, in this same world with me.... it brings me some sort of peace tonight. I am so thankful to hear that your family will be together in less than a week. It will be a wonderful blessing, and I'm sure unlike any other Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home