Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/30/2006

Success?

After 6 sticks anesthesia finally accomplished placing one IV in Ashley's tiny hands. They were requesting two IVs, but her mommy has had it. So if you consider 1 of the 2 successful then we have accomplished something. We are now praying that it will not blow in the next 36 hours. If it does they will have to physically take me out before I allow them to go after her again. I am afraid that after holding my tongue and my frustrations in for over 3 months I have finally become successful at earning the red X on our door. After today it may be difficult to find someone willing to take care of my Ashley. I really tried to be respectful, and I did not say anything ugly. I just REFUSED to allow them to attempt a line in her head or her tummy. I refused to allow them to continue poking and poking in unsuccessful attempts. The nurses are amazing around here and if they can't get it then I know that no one will be able too. I pray they will forgive my behavior today and that they will be able to understand what it is like to watch your child lay there and scream as they try to poke needles into her tiny, tiny veins. Until you have been in that position I am not sure you can understand how protective you automatically feel towards your baby. Today has been ugly and I do not wish to repeat it. Why does it have to hurt so bad?

If they do lose this IV then I will request that they take her into surgery early. Dave and I are having a small disagreement about that. I hope that it does not come down to this. He is much tougher than I am, and he tells me that if we lose this one he thinks they should be allowed to try and place another one. I say NO. Enough is enough. I do not want Ash to have to go through anymore than she already has. Please pray that this site will hold. I can't imagine putting her through this again. We are now waiting for the liver team to come and pull out her central line. They are wanting to have a 24 hour period without a central line in place in order to kill the staff that is in Ashley's blood stream. Please God, let this IV site hold until Monday morning.

In typical Ashley style we are not ending 2006 in a good way. I am praying that as we go out with a bang that we will usher in the new year with lots and lots of good news and progress. I am excited to see what God will do in our lives in 2007. Thank you for praying for us today. It means more to us than you will ever know. Trish

3 Comments:

At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying in Alabama.

I know how it feels to watch them stick your child. One of my 9 month old twins (born 2 months early) had over 100 i.v.'s in 6 weeks as well as many central lines. Spinal taps, many many blood gases drawn, 5 blood transfusions and so on. So, I CAN sympathizewith you on several levels. It is horrifying to watch your child suffer and go through the torment and the agony.

HE is with you always, do what you heart tells you. God can take care of it all. Cast your burdens on him.

I am praying that Ashley's weekend is as it is needed to be and that you all find peace and strength in HIM.

God bless you in the rest of 06 and the NEW YEAR too!

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

There are lots of mamas out there who can empathize with what you went through today--I dread the sticking worse than the actual surgeries! All three of my kids inherited my rotten, rolling, valve-y veins, and I agree with you--no sticks in the head! If they can't get a vein after several tries, the odds of them getting one while everybody's upset and stressed isn't good.

I hope tomorrow is better, and that 2007 is your happiest year yet!!

 
At 9:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, I have been where you are--Ella had terrible tiny veins at 5 days and she looked like a War victim after they got through with her--They stuck her more times than I care to count in 5 days! But I will have to say that when they went through the head ( as horrible as this may sound) It didnt seem to hurt her as much! Towards the end, that is where they started and she would just let out a tiny wimper, We were told that since there wasnt much fat and nerves up there then the pain was much less! It sounds horrible , but that is the positive side of having to let them poke on her! I made my husband go with her because I just couldnt stand to see her--and Believe me -you are not the only mother who has stopped them--We met a couple while we were in the hospital that there 5 year old little boy had lost his IV several times and we heard him screaming after several tries and the MOM yelled "no more" we will try again later! It was horrifying, he would scream every time they came near him! Hang in there--and we will Pray this one works and the staff will be gone soon! REmember this too--she is so young still and wont remember that part of the pain! We love you! and We will check on you in the morning! Krista Ratley

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home