Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/29/2006

Awnry!!!

Well she is finally sleeping after a very eventful night. Ash perked up a little tonight. No fever so far (since around 4:00) color in her cheeks and awnryness in her eyes. She was looking so good I thought she might like for me to pick her up and let her perch herself on my right arm. This has always been Ashley's favorite spot. So silly me, I thought this precious bundle of baby girl all dressed in pink would be content to just sit there while I sang her a little lullabye. My song lasted a whole 1 minute before Ashley unleashed a waterfall of TPN. Honestly, it caught me so off gaurd that it took me several minutes to figure out just exactly what she had done. I was literally being drowned in sticky, smelly TPN. The rush of fluids was so strong it was splashing off the floor and back up to my face! What did she do? My sweet Ashley decided to pull the spike out of the bag of TPN while I was caught up in the moment of cuddling this little gift from God. I couldn't hold her and plug the hole she had opened in the bag so the fluid continued to rush out onto the floor and everything else. I began to holler for our nurse. Thankfully it was one of our very favorite who happens to love my Ashley enough to see the humor in this situation and not get frustrated at the amount of extra work we had just created for her tonight. So in she came to save the day, and after a few phone calls to the pharmacy and house keeping we began to get control of this uncontrollable situation. The good news about tonights exhibit of awnry behavior is that I was allowed to hold my "sweet" girl for a few minutes without a "thousand" tubes and wires connected to her. She was free even if it was only for a brief moment in time. The bad news is that they will happily add about $1200 to our bill! Freedom really does come at a high price. The smell in the room is so overpowering that even our lovely Hawaiin Breeze airfreshners that have made Ashley's room a popular hangout aren't strong enough to kill it. Poor Nan, she will be sleeping with the very strong and potent smell of the necessary "poison" we push into our baby everyday.

Let me just say that dinner at Romeo's will not be a repeat event for this family, and Dave has decided that after tonight he will be the one choosing our dinner selections. They definitely don't compare to our Pappacitas back home in Longview. Well, we are on our way to the apartment for the night. Praying for an uneventful night for our Ashley with no phone calls to tell us to rush back up to the hospital. What a blessing it has been to have Nan here to keep watch over Ashley at night so I can tuck my Blake and Allison into bed. I can't tell you how many times I wake during the night just so I can go look at the two of them sleeping and place those secret kisses on their foreheads. I have even been able to enjoy holding hands with my best friend as I drift off to sleep at night. How I long for the day when I have all three of the children back at home tucked safely in their own beds while I lay down next to Dave and call it a day. We have 2 more days together before they all fly home and Ash and I stay behind. I hope to make the most of the time we have left. God has been so good to us this holiday season, and we have so enjoyed being a family again. Take care and may He keep you and your families safe through the night. Goodnight and God bless. Trish

4 Comments:

At 12:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about the bad Mexican food. . . . I meant to fill you guys in on some good options. . . . glad to know that Ashley is doing so well!!!!

 
At 1:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so...sounds like you had a sticky day...with the TPN...AND with the mexican food!! haha...but i just want to say what a blessing it is to hear you talk so lovingly of your "best friend"...and what a treasure that is for your whole family!! thanks for sharing it with us...once again!! hoping YOU, too, have a wonderful rest tonight!...still praying....

 
At 9:04 AM , Blogger Especially Heather said...

You are continually in my prayers- I am so glad that you guys were able to spend the holidays together, and pray that sometime soon your hope of being together in your own home comes true. I remember those feelings so clearly-

You both are in my prayers..

Heather

 
At 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear good news from little priss! That makes my heart smile to hear she is getting into trouble. We will Pray that she can get off of that TPN and PRay that she continues to get better. WE will check on you later. Love you guys! The Ratley's

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home