Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/23/2007

How Could I Ask For More?

One week ago last night I stood in the hallway outside of my Ashley's room and begged God to spare her life. One week ago this morning I watched them prepare my Ashley for heart surgery and once again I begged God to spare her life. Four months ago today we woke up asking the Father to provide a way that Ashley's life might be spared. On all three occasions He heard the pleas that came from my heart and today I will hold our sweet baby girl. Not because of who I am or because of anything I have done. Only because He is who He says He is. How could I ask for more?

For years I struggled with this question. I had already been given so much in my life. I had a Blake. I had an Allison. How could I ask Him for more? Was it wrong for me to desire to parent another mothers child? As I continued to struggle with my requests Dave came to the Father out of a heart of willingness. Willingness to be a father to our Blake and our Allie and find contentment in them, but also a willingness to go beyond that and to parent another child if God chose to see his willing heart. My approach to God began with a need that I believed I had. It was a longing that could only be filled with this child that I knew would complete us. Looking back over this part of our lives I can now see that at the very moment when I approached the Father with my willing heart rather than my requesting heart is when He chose to bless me. It took my surrendering to the thought that I would be willing only if it were His will for our family, and only if it were done in His time. The days following my Ashley's birth were some of the most difficult days of my life, but they were also the days when I learned that my life could not be all about me. It had to be all about HIM. I had to pray that only if it were His will that she live, if it were His will that she be mine, if it were His will that I hold her. In those days I became broken. I poured my heart before Him. In those days He became real.

Today we woke up and we find ourselves facing a whole new set of issues. Ashley is dehydrated and her kidneys are not working. They have given her blood, they have given her fluid, they straight cathed her bladder and they plan on doing it again. I find myself praying AND asking for more. I continue to go to the Father and ask Him for more. I know that He does not grow weary of my request because of Who He is. As I struggle with the question of "How could I ask for more?" I find this answer, BECAUSE HE LOVES ME and BECAUSE HE LOVES HER.

I would appreciate your prayers for my Ashley today. Her body hurts because she is so very dry. She hurts to be touched. She hurts to be moved. She hurts. Thank you for caring enough about her to take her to the Father. Trish

10 Comments:

At 9:50 AM , Blogger Krista said...

My heart is breaking as I read your journal. It seems she goes one step forward and two steps back. I find myself asking God, What can we do? What is it that he is wanting? I will Pray over and over for God to heal her and allow her to have some better days. It is ok to beg him for those things. Yes he wants us to be content with what we have, but it is so human to want more when it comes to our children's lives. We would not be good mommies if we didnt want everything and more for our babies. I have to say it is OK not to be content at this point. God is merciful and he knows our hearts, that is why he made us MOMS! He knows we love undconditionally and he knows we want the BEST, for those little ones. I will stand with you and ask for more for Ashley today. God, give this baby strength and give her body fluid. You are the only one who can give this baby what she needs today. You have shown us so much throughout her story, I continue to Pray that you give this wonderful family some Hope that they can have the life they so desperately want with ALL three children. Put your hand on Ashley's little body and take away her pain. Be with the doctors and give them guidance as to what fluids and medicines will help get those kidneys going again. Thank you Father for loving us today and Thank you for sparing little Ashley's life and leaving her on this earth with this family. In Jesus Name

 
At 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying. He is still listening and answering. He will provide. Ash is strong and so are you. HE is the great physcian.... need I say more.

Praying that Ash's pain will just vanish and that you may hold her again soon and that her kidneys and dehyration will just be fixed.... because he is all powerful and just. Praying for your strenth and peace of mind. God will give it to you and Ash. Glad you are not ashamed to ask. You're doing the right thing Trish!

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Dear Heavenly Father, I lift up this little girl to you today. You know what she needs. Please take away her pain Lord, and make her kidneys function the way they are supposed too. Lord give her body the thirst it needs. Wrap your arms around her parents and her doctors and her siblings. Lord I ask you watch over this family in their time of need. In His name I pray, Amen

 
At 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story continues to touch my heart. I'll definitely be praying for your sweet baby girl today!

Shelly
Fayettevlle, AR

 
At 11:20 AM , Blogger Ashleigh Baker said...

Praying, praying today.

My heart is full for you, but there is just no way to put it into words...

 
At 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear God please step in here and perform your miracle. Let today be the day we see your mercies fresh and new in Ashley's life. Give Trish your comfort and peace and the doctors and nurses your wisdom.
We know you can do all things.. and we ask you again to do exactly what Ashley needs to get her back on the road to recovery and into Trish's waiting arms to rock her.
In Jesus' name....
And all God's people said AMEN!
Jill from Omaha

 
At 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elliott and I prayed for Ashley just now. I also sent emails to all of my praying buddies all over the world.
We love you guys and are praying for all of you.
Molly

 
At 1:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome God we serve! He is moved with compassion for his children. When He sees Ashley hurt he hurts also. He is aquainted with pain. How amazing that He wants our prayers, our requests, our pleadings on behalf of our loved ones. That He works through our meager cries is a miracle - yet He does, and we can move the heart of the father. We see time after time in the Bible that his children came to Him and asked Him to intervene - and He did. Your father hears you Trish, the only one that can do anything is listening and moved by your momma heart. Rest in Him.

Blessings.

 
At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the set back. Ashley, you and your family continue to be in my prayers.

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I know you were told this would be a rollercoaster ride, but this is crazy! I just wish you could get a series of good days in a row!! I'm praying for Ashley's pain, for her dehydration, and especially for her kidney function. And for you--I'm praying for rest. Bless your heart, Trish.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home