Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/22/2007

Lots of Changes

Morning rounds are now over and there are a lot of changes in Ashley's care taking place today. The list of changes is very long and I am trying to keep them all straight in my mind. She will be receiving some fluid bolus' this morning because she is now too dry. They will be changing her blood pressure medicine to a patch that will also help sedate her so that she might get a little sleep today. If she does well, then we will feed her at a rate of 5ccs an hour just so we can use the new bowel a little. Her lipids will be cut and hopefully be turned off in the next day or two. They are planning on removing her art line and foley this morning, so by late afternoon I may be rocking that sweet baby girl. They tried to wean her oxygen, but she is not ready for that just yet. She is very, very weak from being down so long and so very sick. We will not start physical therapy for a few more days. I want her to try and get some rest and then we will work on re-building her strength. I plan on doing a little range of motion with her limbs as long as she is able to tolerate it. Other than her exhaustion, she looks very sweet this morning. Her voice has not quite returned so she sounds very scratchy when she tries to talk. I hope to give her a good bath and shampoo late this afternoon and place her in a pair of snuggly p.j.s. At this point the only thing she has been wearing for the last week is her precious bunny slippers.

On his way out of our room this morning one of the surgeons told me they would try not to break her this week. I told him how much I would appreciate that and assured him that I knew she was a little complex and she was just keeping them on their toes. He laughed and said, "Complex?, I am complex. Your daughter is an "enigma"." ( I have no idea what that means. I hope it is good.) I replied, "Yeah, but she sure is beautiful." To that he said, "We all know that, and it is not being debated." I really love this team of professionals who take care of my Ashley. They are amazing people and I know they want the best for her.

It is so very quiet here today and tears come to my eyes as I look around and see that we are on our own again. How I long for the day that I bring my sweet baby home. My dreams are now filled with quiet nights at home where I sit on the couch listening to my children play. I miss the routine of tucking them all in there beds at night and asking Dave to get up at least 3 times throughout the night to make sure the house is safe and the children are covered under their blankets. I think he misses it too, although I am sure a full nights sleep without having to trek through the house in the dark at my request is probably appreciated.

Today I am waiting to see what the Lord will do in my youngest daughter's life. I pray that He will reveal Himself to me in the little things as well as the big. Just to know that He has brought her so far over the past week touches my heart. I am asking Him to give her strength to carry on. I pray that His will is going to allow us to return home someday soon. The calendar continues to turn and Ash and I have lived the last four months here in this PICU without Dave, Blake, and Allison. My prayer is that perhaps in the next four months the Lord will all allow us to move home and pick up where we left off. For now I am working on being content and looking for ways that He might use me while I am here. I pray you are blessed today. Trish

13 Comments:

At 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~

thinking of you today and praying for all these new changes.

 
At 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds as though you and Ashley may not get much rest today with all that is scheduled to take place today. I just pray that every bit of it will go very smoothly and that there will be no surprises or problems. Praying especially for the feedings and for her strength.

I know if all goes well and you can rock your precious baby girl this evening it will bring you joy. I pray that you get to rock her to your heart's content. What a blessing that will be for you, Ashley and to all of us who will be praying for you.

 
At 12:26 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Just in case you hadn't heard, you are an inspiration. Praying in TN.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Ashleigh Baker said...

You amaze me, Trish. The Lord is so very evident in you... I hope by reading here to glean a little of your wisdom. My heart aches to think of you being there, just the two of you, again. Praying fervently, earnestly that within four months you will indeed be home, all together.

And I agree--she is beautiful...

 
At 12:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish:
Glad the kids loved the snow and that Ashley was able to enjoy her family all in one place. I will pray that this week you get to both recover and rest.
If you need anything, remember I am just a phone call or email away.
Maybe by the end of the week I could bring you down a homecooked dinner to enjoy!
Blessings on your day.
Jill from omaha

 
At 1:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She may be a "mystery" (enigma) to medical doctors, but she is not a mystery to God. Praying today is a "good" day for your little one and your family.

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I have to agree -she is more than beautiful!!! God is still working on her. I will Pray for her strength to come back and Pray for your strength to go at this alone once again. Remember HE is with you. Take comfort in rocking that sweet little pickle. Praying for a safe trip home for the gang. Hopefully you both can get some rest tonight.

 
At 1:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish~ an enigma is a word from the Greek meaning " a puzzle" or "a mystery". and I think that we all can agree that sums up Ashley's health history! Love you baby sister, Kathy

 
At 1:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the video of the kids and Dave sledding and the video of Ashley. It's great to see all of them and brings everything to reality. Praying so hard for you today. I know how much family means to you and four months away............well, only through the grace of God are you able to make it...and you're doing it. Did ya ever think?

Love ya in Longview!

 
At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

enigma is a noun meaning a person is mysterious and puzzling. I had to look it up. Praying for you and Ashley today. May she keep improving.

Katy

 
At 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An "enigma" maybe, but I prefer to just think of her a "trouble in bubble II"

 
At 10:24 PM , Blogger OMG-ageisjustanumber said...

I saw your blog and wanted to let you know that I am praying for you also. I know that God is faithful to his children and I know that he hears and answers prayers. I continue to pray for you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home