Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/19/2007

Too Wet...

I only wish I was talking about the weather, but unfortunately I am refferring to my Ashley's lungs. This morning things on x-ray just don't look very good for Ash. Her weight is up a kilo and 1/2 because of extra fluid. After Monday's event they were forced to "slam" Ash with lots and lots of fluids and blood. They have not been able to pull the fluid off of her and so this is making it too difficult for her to breathe. The drain in her chest is still putting out fluid from the pericardial sack so they will leave it in until the fluid stops. I am concerned about her being down so long on the ventilator. I am praying she doesn't develop any pnuemonias or infections while she lays there. How I had hoped for her to come off during the kids visit, but this morning it does not seem likely.


She was thrilled to open her eyes and see her daddy, Blake and Allie. They made it in at some point last night. I had fallen asleep and I woke up when my Allison placed a little kiss on my forehead. I really love those forehead kisses. It is supposed to be a secret while we sleep, but sometimes they do wake us up. Ash began to kick her bunny feet (I promise to post a picture of those things today!) and wave her arms. She reached out for her daddy to hold her, but she was content enough to hold his face in her hands. She is alert and playing while on the vent, and she actually looks better to me today even though they tell me she is worse. Her little eyes can open more now and the shape of her tiny nose is coming back. Her cheeks are rosy and her smile (even with the tube down her throat) will melt your heart. They removed the bandage from her chest incision this morning and now it is being held together with butterfly strips. I can only imagine how much this is contributing to her discomfort. When I spoke with the surgeon he shared with me that although he did not have to open the breastbone(which I am so thankful for) he did have to cut through the cartilage at the base of it in order to work on her heart underneath it. I haven't actually looked at the new incision yet. I think I will save that for another day when I am not already feeling nauseated.

Our hope and prayer today is that our Ashley will be able to dry out soon so that she might begin to breathe comfortably enough to have the ventilator support removed. Sometimes it is difficult to watch her struggle so much when I look around and see so many of our transplant friends doing so well. I just try and remind myself to be grateful that we are still here because we also have many friends who did not make it. That reminder helps me to quickly dry my tears and begin to concentrate on our blessings instead.

We appreciate your prayers for our daughter. We appreciate you visiting her story day after day. I am looking forward to the days when all I have to share with you is good news, good news, good news! I know that day will come. We just have to get through some rough ones first. We are still growing, still learning, still loving this life, still pinching ourselves to see if we really are this blessed or if it is just a dream. We know He is working out His plan for our family and we are thankful you have decided to follow along. We love you guys. Have a blessed day. Trish

9 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger Ashleigh Baker said...

Praying for the fluids to drain quickly and for a hedge of protection around her from any other complications. How are YOU feeling?
Looking forward to that picture of the bunny feet. :)

Ashley's button is now up on my site. Already there are a few more people who have emailed and said they are praying for your baby girl.

 
At 11:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for you all! Glad the family made it in safe and sound! Hope you are feeling better and can't wait to see some pics! Hope you all have a joyful and blessed day in God's care!

 
At 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to know that Dave, Blake, and Allison made it safely to you. I know you must feel such a relief. I am sorry that Ashley is still having to be on the Ventilator. We will just keep praying that soon she can come off of it. Praying, praying, praying for positive progress!!! In the mean time try to enjoy your family as much as you can. Maybe Dave can give you some relief and you can go take a nice bubble bath. Love you all, Cindy Adams
Thanks for keeping us all updated.

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

So glad your family got there! That is awesome. Just found your blog recently...praying for you and your entire crew here in Tennessee.

 
At 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the bunny feet. I love baby feet in any form!!

So sorry that the fluid is not leaving. I am praying. I'm am sooo glad that she is looking better and that she is happily loving those who love her so greatly.

Thanks for sharing about the forehead kiss. What a sweet little story. May you all have many such kisses in the days to come.

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Praise God that everyone made is safely. Praying today that God will dry those lungs up in time for her daddy to pick her up and so she can play with Blake and Allie before they head back here. I am dying to see the feet kicking, how awesome she is with that strong personality. LOVE IT>

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so glad your family made it there safely! I'm praying for her fluid levels, and her lungs, and for her comfort. When Addison had her open-heart surgery (the breastbone had to be cracked open), the surgeon told me that cartilage isn't that painful to heal--that's why ears can be pierced and rarely hurt afterward! Her breastbone was wired back together, and the cartilage will form bone over the wires. The chest tube it what caused her the most discomfort; once it was out, she was feeling MUCH better! Less than three weeks after her surgery, she was lying on her tummy, very comfy! These babies' bodies are amazing! Our God is amazing :)

I hope y'all have a happy day together today!!

 
At 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying that today will be a "dry day" in the ICU and that the fluids will just clear up.
It was great meeting you yesterday and to be able to put a face to my prayers. Hope that you are enjoying some much needed family time and that Ashley will hear the joy in the room and it will heal every part of her.
Did you hear the forecast for Saturday night and Sunday- sounds like 4 to 6 inches of snow; which should make for some fun sledding.
Let me know if we can do anything for you, or if you need any Omaha help.
Blessings on your weekend.
Jill from Omaha

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger Paige said...

Praise God! Your family is with you. What an amazing job you are doing as you stand in the gap for Ashley.

I pray that her lungs will dry up soon, and that she will be able to come off the vent.

God bless you and your time with your family.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home